U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 03:59 PM

5 posts, read 5,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Have you tried the farmer's market in Scranton? Sometimes if you show up near closing time they'll make a deal with you. I've gotten free peppers, corn, and tomatoes that way.

Cooperative Farmers Market of Scranton - LocalHarvest
Thank you for the information. The farmer's market opens from July 17 to Thanks giving. I will try next week.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Sometimes Aldi has good deals.

Rt 6 Scranton/Carbondale Hwy.
Scranton, PA 18508

ALDI - Home Page

The farmer's market may also have good deals, as suggested.

Maine Source may sometimes have decent deals, but you may have to buy bulk to get the best price.

733 Davis Street
Scranton, PA 18505
P: 570-963-7142

Mainesource Food & Party Warehouse

I don't know where you moved from, but I moved from NJ, and was used to the great prices at Corrado's in Clifton, NJ, and the fruit & vegetable markets in South Paterson at the Clifton border near Corrado's. There is NOTHING like that here.

Sometimes Malacari's in Wilkes-Barre will have better deals than local options, but the quality is sometimes not at it's freshest. It's OK for this area. They have no website, but here is their address, in the event you ever venture into Wilkes-Barre.

80 Wilkes Barre Township Blvd
Wilkes Barre, PA 18702
(570) 822-2025

I hope this helps. We still go to NJ a couple of times a month to do our major grocery shopping, and will continue to until we move back. Wegman's has the availability, quality, and better variety of healthy foods than other area stores, but with 3 growing, ACTIVE kids, it becomes too costly.
I moved from NJ too. Usually I shop at 17 Farms. The fruits and veggies are fresh. For most veggies, the price is under $1.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:01 PM

908 posts, read 1,397,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccerccer View Post
I moved from NJ too. Usually I shop at 17 Farms. The fruits and veggies are fresh. For most veggies, the price is under $1.
Is that in Rutherford? I think my friend used to shop there before moving to Florida. She always had fresh produce, very fresh, and always talked about how affordable it as where she lived. I have to tell my mom about it, she doesn't live too far from there.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Is that in Rutherford? I think my friend used to shop there before moving to Florida. She always had fresh produce, very fresh, and always talked about how affordable it as where she lived. I have to tell my mom about it, she doesn't live too far from there.
Right, in Rutherford. Once I visited there, I was stick to it. btw, I just came back from Malacari's in Wilke-Barre. It can't be compared to 17 farm, but the price is affordable. We bought a lot of veggies and fruits. The soft ice cream is good too. Thank you for your recommendation.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:31 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,772,183 times
Would Tunkhannock be too far a drive for you? Brick's Shursave on Tioga Street (that's the main street right through town) is having a 98 cent produce sale this week. Not sure what is included though. Here's their Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/bricks.shur...ocation=stream

Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Right, in Rutherford. Once I visited there, I was stick to it. btw, I just came back from Malacari's in Wilke-Barre. It can't be compared to 17 farm, but the price is affordable. We bought a lot of veggies and fruits. The soft ice cream is good too. Thank you for your recommendation.
Yeah, no comparison to many NJ farmers' markets. It is the Garden State.
You're quite welcome, I'm glad you found what you need there. Yes, their ice cream is good, and cheap. The kids love it.
I can't wait to visit my mom & check out 17 farms. Thanks for telling us about it.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah, no comparison to many NJ farmers' markets. It is the Garden State.
You're quite welcome, I'm glad you found what you need there. Yes, their ice cream is good, and cheap. The kids love it.
I can't wait to visit my mom & check out 17 farms. Thanks for telling us about it.
Here is the yelp page for 17 farmer's market.

17 Farmer's Market - East Rutherford, NJ

Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Here is the yelp page for 17 farmer's market.

17 Farmer's Market - East Rutherford, NJ
Thanks!

Old 07-08-2013, 04:51 PM

12,921 posts, read 29,871,699 times
Quote:
Just moved to Scranton area. I am looking for a place to buy cheap fruit and veggie. I have visited wegman, price chopper and walmart. The price of fruits and veggies is very expensive. For example, price of green pepper is $2-$2.5 per pound. I try to search Yelp, but no much information is found. Thank you.
And back to Scranton info please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:56 PM

12,921 posts, read 29,871,699 times
Here's a link to a Scranton CSA: Scranton CSA

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania