Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 04:27 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times

Advertisements

We have run here of and on for years, mostly on the outskirts of Scranton 'proper'. We have also run in many other places, in many states in the Northeast but also FL and CA. We have experienced little difference running or plain breathing here than anywhere else, other then periodic heat and humidity which is found in many places at times.

Since there are many trees and plants, those who suffer from asthma and allergies may see a difference compared to cities or regions with fewer plants. I prefer it here to FL and many cities/suburbs of large cities which can be stifling. Running or living in cities, near traffic, industry, etc. as well as in treeless, or desert like climes would be rough for me. We like the trees, shade, and coolness afforded by the plant life.

One thing about NEPA is that most 'heavy' industry and even traffic is long gone or never was especially on the outskirts and suburbs. Back in the day the coal dumps produced some really rough air...it used to discolor houses and clotheslines turning them grey/black after rain etc. Those were the 'good old days'.

Everyone is different...sorta like pizza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
We have run here of and on for years, mostly on the outskirts of Scranton 'proper'. We have also run in many other places, in many states in the Northeast but also FL and CA. We have experienced little difference running or plain breathing here than anywhere else, other then periodic heat and humidity which is found in many places at times.

Since there are many trees and plants, those who suffer from asthma and allergies may see a difference compared to cities or regions with fewer plants. I prefer it here to FL and many cities/suburbs of large cities which can be stifling. Running or living in cities, near traffic, industry, etc. as well as in treeless, or desert like climes would be rough for me. We like the trees, shade, and coolness afforded by the plant life.

One thing about NEPA is that most 'heavy' industry and even traffic is long gone or never was especially on the outskirts and suburbs. Back in the day the coal dumps produced some really rough air...it used to discolor houses and clotheslines turning them grey/black after rain etc. Those were the 'good old days'.

Everyone is different...sorta like pizza
I noticed when I first moved here the out side of my rental had soot on the siding and would wash it off. Same thing on the house I own. I just washed down the siding on my front porch Wednesday. I don't know what it is from, but the only way I can describe is a fine black soot type of coating.

Sues, Scranton is no dirtier than any of the towns around here, with the exception of Clarks Summit and Waverly!

Old 07-15-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I noticed when I first moved here the out side of my rental had soot on the siding and would wash it off. Same thing on the house I own. I just washed down the siding on my front porch Wednesday. I don't know what it is from, but the only way I can describe is a fine black soot type of coating.

Sues, Scranton is no dirtier than any of the towns around here, with the exception of Clarks Summit and Waverly!
I don't know what you are seeing but, we have lived in or near woods for many years in a few states. Some trees emit 'stuff' (pollen and ??) that builds up on cars and houses in just a few days. Different tress and plants at different times of the year...and some is plain annoying. Someone here can probably be more precise about what it is and what tress are most likely contributors but it is light enough that the wind must carry it quite a ways.

Then again, you might have some of the old coal breaker soot that is stored underground and pumped into the air using the old mine exhaust fans ... to cause health problems and keep out 'outsiders'.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:47 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
I don't know what you are seeing but, we have lived in or near woods for many years in a few states. Some trees emit 'stuff' (pollen and ??) that builds up on cars and houses in just a few days. Different tress and plants at different times of the year...and some is plain annoying. Someone here can probably be more precise about what it is and what tress are most likely contributors but it is light enough that the wind must carry it quite a ways.

Then again, you might have some of the old coal breaker soot that is stored underground and pumped into the air using the old mine exhaust fans ... to cause health problems and keep out 'outsiders'.
The air is a little more stagnant in the valleys than it is in the elevations. But the elevations usually get more snow - so it's a tradeoff.

As far as pollen: Yes; we have different vegetation that releases it's pollen at different times. Sometimes our large white pines can look like they are smoking from the amount of pollen released. Dandelion will make it look as if it is snowing outside - it all depends on the wind and how many are close to your home. Popular trees also release great amounts of pollen. Then we have our ragweed and goldenrod - but these are only a few of the problems.

You also have man made contamination from construction sites, fireplaces/wood burners/furnaces, motor vehicles and ATV's and small engines.

Does Scranton have any active coal mining? I know that when I would run through Charleston, WV that everything looked like it had a gray/black coating of soot.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Tell them what it smelled like up there fifty/sixty years ago. Back when the slag mountains were burning.
The only constant fire is Laurel run, some minor fire in the culm banks here and there but they put them out quickly.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:22 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The only constant fire is Laurel run, some minor fire in the culm banks here and there but they put them out quickly.
That was all that was burning fifty or sixty years ago? I used to remember the strong smell of sulfur in the air. But I forget if that was in Scranton or going to Eynon?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:16 AM

709 posts, read 955,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That was all that was burning fifty or sixty years ago? I used to remember the strong smell of sulfur in the air. But I forget if that was in Scranton or going to Eynon?
I grew up in the 60s in Scranton, directly across street from a culm fire. So yes, you smelled sulphur in Scranton back then.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Lol, about the fans and keeping us transplants out! Both my sons have asthma and they have not had any ill effects from living here. Both of these homes I mentioned are in N. Scranton. Like I said, I have no idea what the "fine soot " is, maybe you are right about coal breaker dust...I mean there were mines all over here, right?.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Lol, about the fans and keeping us transplants out! Both my sons have asthma and they have not had any ill effects from living here. Both of these homes I mentioned are in N. Scranton. Like I said, I have no idea what the "fine soot " is, maybe you are right about coal breaker dust...I mean there were mines all over here, right?.
There were coal breakers (see if we can guess why they were called that...) throughout the valley. The were next to piles of coal mining waste called culm dumps...some of which literally burned continuously. Some of both still remain, but are many fewer than years ago. Here is one link ...Googling will get lots more.

Breakers

Old 07-15-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
There were coal breakers (see if we can guess why they were called that...) throughout the valley. The were next to piles of coal mining waste called culm dumps...some of which literally burned continuously. Some of both still remain, but are many fewer than years ago. Here is one link ...Googling will get lots more.

Breakers
I know the house we bought was next to old culm dumps. The neighborhood directly behind me was built on them. The newish neighborhood on the N. Scranton Westside border. Not sure if you know what neighborhood I mean. My 1.5 double that I rented is one block up from Main Ave. in North Scranton. My knowledge of coal mining terms etc. is based upon the coal mining tour @ McDade Park we went on in the summer of 2007; and since I currently suffer from C.R.S. (can't remember ****e) I will look up why they are called breakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania