Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:42 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,670,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I know that many like Hemlock Farms. However; how long does it take you to reach the NJ state line from up there? Commuters have to keep in mind, that moving farther out, comes at a cost. Of course it all depends on your work schedule and how many days you actually commute. Always remember that you have to double any commute time when you think of how many hours you will be from home (not to mention preparation time for the commute).
Reason I suggested a short term rental or hotel stay as the commute will be longer than 2 hours. I know I could never do that on a daily basis but the communities further out are a nice step up from where the thread starter was considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 01:42 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,018,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
Reason I suggested a short term rental or hotel stay as the commute will be longer than 2 hours. I know I could never do that on a daily basis but the communities further out are a nice step up from where the thread starter was considering.
I was a truck driver and I was used to sitting behind the wheel for endless hours each day/night. But it isn't for everybody. Our son complains if he has to sit behind the wheel for one and a half hours - sometimes he pulls over for a nap! We totally agree, that potential commuters, should try short term rentals to see if this is for them.

I was always curious what the divorce rates are for our commuters? It cannot help the marriage being away from home for such long periods of time? Of course people probably wonder about the divorce rates of truck drivers? My wife and I are going on 46 years. It cannot help, most family relationships, being away from home for such long periods of time.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:21 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,729,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
charmedhour, wow, that's brutal. Have you considered moving closer? There's no way you're actually enjoying the area where you live, not with that commute.

I sometimes think mine is bad but I have it light-years better than most who work in the city. I catch a 5:20 bus for a 7am start, my work is very close to the Port Authority, and I have a seven-hour shift, so I'm on the 2:15 bus home. Enjoying my property by 3:45 pm.

If I had to work 9 to 5, I would quit. I cannot stand rush-hour traffic.
I only have to commute 5 days during spring/summer. Winter and fall I telecommute 3 days a week. I also tend to work earlier in the mornings to leave a little earlier. Today I was in at 6 left a 1:30 and was sitting on my couch at 3:45p.

I wanted to be closer to the Gap but my MIL, who lives with us, was a total pita when we were house hunting. She had very specific demands and we were running out of time. We sold our house in NY with 60 days to vacate after closing. We moved out with 10 hours to go.

She is the type that couldn't see forest for the trees in terms of the ease in changing the main level floor plans to suit her needs. It had to be as she wanted it already. So in the end we overpaid by about $80,000 in terms of Monroe County housing stock prices with some reno vs. What we bought ready to go in Carbon. We've already decided when she passes we're renting or selling and moving closer to the Gap.

We've only been out here 18 months. I always say I love it but wish I was home more.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,381,663 times
Good for you - I love telecommuting. I can do it when the weather is really bad, or if I have a doctor's appointment or other scheduling issue -- in fact, I am very lucky in that regard, compared with previous jobs.

But I would love to have a formal telecommute arrangement instead of feeling like I'm asking for a favor every time. It'll come for folks eventually, but it's glacial.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 AM

7,968 posts, read 7,324,608 times
Quote:

But I would love to have a formal telecommute arrangement instead of feeling like I'm asking for a favor every time. It'll come for folks eventually, but it's glacial.

LOL I guess it's like that all over! It's great that I don't have to burn a vacation day when there's a bad snowstorm but I have to check with the other PA commuters to make sure I'm not the only wimp working from home!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:58 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,729,570 times
Quote:
Good for you - I love telecommuting. I can do it when the weather is really bad, or if I have a doctor's appointment or other scheduling issue -- in fact, I am very lucky in that regard, compared with previous jobs.

My "big" boss gave the ok on it. Under boss was not pleased. However, big boss reminded him of all the days they "work from home". I find I actually get far more done when I'm home than when sitting at my desk.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,248 times
Wink Stroudsburg

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Stroudsburg from Long Island. I have seen lots of comments on here regarding their feelings of people from New York. I feel terrible that people have that kind of picture of New York. But chances are that the "thugs" that are coming to PA are most likely from NYC. I feel terrible that gangs and undesirables from New York are making the crime rate rise. I had no idea until I started reading these posts that this was the case. On behalf of NORMAL New Yorker's I appologize. Pennsylvania is beautiful and we love it, which is why we want to live there. We are on Long Island, which for the most part is completly night and day from the city. It is beautiful. We both have good jobs, but to be honest, to afford Long Island a couple would both have to be making close to six figures. New York is expensive, taxes are crazy especially income tax. Half your paycheck goes to taxes. I always said I would never leave Long Island, but guess what...we can't afford to live there. Actually, we aren't living..just existing.

The coments that I read about Stroudsburg were mostly from 2006-2008. Could anyone tell me what Stroudsburg is like now. We have friends that recently moved there, but they're not there long enough to tell. Any info you could tell me about Stroudsburg would be great. Thank you <3

Old 08-04-2014, 03:07 PM

7,968 posts, read 7,324,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmet531 View Post

The coments that I read about Stroudsburg were mostly from 2006-2008. Could anyone tell me what Stroudsburg is like now. We have friends that recently moved there, but they're not there long enough to tell. Any info you could tell me about Stroudsburg would be great. Thank you <3
I think Stroudsburg has stabilized in the last few years. A lot of the turmoil that started with the housing boom of the early 2000's and took a 180-degree turn with the bust of 2008-09 has subsided. We are still dealing with a glut of school buildings that were built to house students who don't live here anymore, but school taxes are no longer skyrocketing (just got my bill, and it's only gone up $40.00 from last year - East Stroudsburg Area).

Bottom line, if you move here now, you will have missed the upheaval. Many if not most of your neighbors will be ex-NYer's and ex-NJers (I am the latter). And you will be adding to the population of good people. There will always be a few thugs.

Stroudsburg is a pretty nice little town, and if you are middle class and use common sense you'll be mixing with other middle class people. Avoid Wal-Mart (East Stroudsburg) after about 9:00PM. There are a few non-aggressive panhandlers in Stroudsburg. A few people hold up signs saying "Hungry" at the exit ramps of I-80. There are soup kitchens in the area that feed the hungry (UMC on Sundays and St. Luke's on Saturdays) so you'll see them in town around midday. Salvation Army in East Stroudsburg runs the soup kitchen Monday thru Friday.

There are a number of decent restaurants on Main St. and a couple on the outskirts and in East Stroudsburg. With East Stroudsburg University right next door, there are usually lots of young people around.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 PM

104 posts, read 189,118 times
^^ Agreed.

We moved to Pike county last Fall and love it out here. We've always felt safe everywhere we've gone. The people in the Poconos are great and we've sensed no animosity toward New Yorkers.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:40 PM

18,755 posts, read 18,018,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abundantly_Above View Post
^^ Agreed.

We moved to Pike county last Fall and love it out here. We've always felt safe everywhere we've gone. The people in the Poconos are great and we've sensed no animosity toward New Yorkers.
In general, I think, that most transplants will have your experience. But it only takes one bad experience - like a couple of our posters have experienced. Our area is very accommodating and we have many races, religions and life styles. My feeling is that I, as a 'local', am outnumbered by transplants - I rarely ever see fellow 'locals' when I shop (but I was never good with faces).

I do take issue with transplants that discriminate against locals - animosity can go both ways. Many years ago I worked in NJ. My perception, at that time, was that NJ had terrible drivers - that was before I started my job in NJ. After working that job for a few months; I thought that PA drivers, in NJ, were terrible drivers. Sometimes we bring our misconceptions with us. Acknowledging that we made a mistake is sometimes hard and sometimes never happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania