U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,045 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I would like to share our experience in moving to East Stroudsburg and whatit has meant for us so far. We moved January 2013 Bedford Stuyvesant area inBrooklyn and we have had no regrets to this point. The surrounding is verynice, 24hr Wal-Mart, BJ's etc. to meet your needs. I've read over most of theprevious comments about gangs and thugs and I’m not sure where they are living.we love the area, out two kids love it here they've adjusted very well, theyhave yard to play street they can ride their bike on without too many worriesas we had in NYC. The house prices are great compared to what you get in NY for$500,000 and what you can get in Stroudsburg for $200,000. Both my wife and Iwork in NYC, and the commute for us is fine in the mornings, 1:20 minutes topsto New York. I work for the City of New York and have come across co-workerswho have been living in PA for over 12yrs doing the commute so it’s notimpossible. It depends on your Job and work schedule for example I work from7am - 3pm and I have no problem with the commute. There are a few local busesthat run morning and evening schedules, but in an emergency if I left workearly, I can always jump on the Martz bus. I would recommend you and youhusband spend a week or two in the area and get a feel for yourself. Where everin the world you are bad things happen that's a part of life and Stroudsburg isno different every once in a while you might hear of an incident, but not as oftenas in the city. We've been here almost two years now and we've never heard ofany major crimes or robbery going on every week. We love it here and we arelooking forward to the next 10 to 20 yrs. up here.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 01:55 PM

667 posts, read 506,455 times
Most of the old time locals have moved away. Things changed over the years,some better some worse,depends on what your looking for.....Services,schools ect are better,costs are higher but low enough to still attract people from higher cost areas. Some folk come her looking for a dream,some find that some find the move a mistake....I like living here....but,,,,there's always buts...

Old 11-19-2014, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 4,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I think Stroudsburg has stabilized in the last few years. A lot of the turmoil that started with the housing boom of the early 2000's and took a 180-degree turn with the bust of 2008-09 has subsided. We are still dealing with a glut of school buildings that were built to house students who don't live here anymore, but school taxes are no longer skyrocketing (just got my bill, and it's only gone up $40.00 from last year - East Stroudsburg Area).

Bottom line, if you move here now, you will have missed the upheaval. Many if not most of your neighbors will be ex-NYer's and ex-NJers (I am the latter). And you will be adding to the population of good people. There will always be a few thugs.

Stroudsburg is a pretty nice little town, and if you are middle class and use common sense you'll be mixing with other middle class people. Avoid Wal-Mart (East Stroudsburg) after about 9:00PM. There are a few non-aggressive panhandlers in Stroudsburg. A few people hold up signs saying "Hungry" at the exit ramps of I-80. There are soup kitchens in the area that feed the hungry (UMC on Sundays and St. Luke's on Saturdays) so you'll see them in town around midday. Salvation Army in East Stroudsburg runs the soup kitchen Monday thru Friday.

There are a number of decent restaurants on Main St. and a couple on the outskirts and in East Stroudsburg. With East Stroudsburg University right next door, there are usually lots of young people around.

How do the two school districts (Stroudsburg vs. East Stroudsburg) compare with each other today? Thanks.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:17 PM

9,506 posts, read 8,059,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Most of the old time locals have moved away. Things changed over the years,some better some worse,depends on what your looking for.....Services,schools ect are better,costs are higher but low enough to still attract people from higher cost areas. Some folk come her looking for a dream,some find that some find the move a mistake....I like living here....but,,,,there's always buts...
Not all of us moved.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:26 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,586,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightOwl View Post
How do the two school districts (Stroudsburg vs. East Stroudsburg) compare with each other today? Thanks.
Just from reading and talking to other parents, it's generally accepted that Stroudsburg is the better school district, and that East Stroudsburg South (located on Business Route 209 in the borough) is better than East Stroudsburg North (which is actually in Pike County - and building it there was one of the worst decisions by local government I have seen in my life.)

Greatschools will guide you further, but if you are an involved parent and your kids are regular kids, you will do fine in either S'burg or E'burg South. I am not sure about the services and quality if you would need special services for your kids so I can't speak to that.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:04 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,512,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Just from reading and talking to other parents, it's generally accepted that Stroudsburg is the better school district, and that East Stroudsburg South (located on Business Route 209 in the borough) is better than East Stroudsburg North (which is actually in Pike County - and building it there was one of the worst decisions by local government I have seen in my life.)

Greatschools will guide you further, but if you are an involved parent and your kids are regular kids, you will do fine in either S'burg or E'burg South. I am not sure about the services and quality if you would need special services for your kids so I can't speak to that.
Yeah, that's pretty much the feeling around here. Although my dental hygienist was telling me the other day the Eastburg South is the only public school left in the county that offers vo-tech type courses without having to enroll at the vo-tech.

P.S. We chose to send our kids to Notre Dame in East Stroudsburg which is a fine school if you are looking for a small, affordable alternative to public school, and are not looking for vo-tech type courses or football!

Old 01-21-2015, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,704 times
Smile commuting to nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_D_F View Post
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I would like to share our experience in moving to East Stroudsburg and whatit has meant for us so far. We moved January 2013 Bedford Stuyvesant area inBrooklyn and we have had no regrets to this point. The surrounding is verynice, 24hr Wal-Mart, BJ's etc. to meet your needs. I've read over most of theprevious comments about gangs and thugs and Iím not sure where they are living.we love the area, out two kids love it here they've adjusted very well, theyhave yard to play street they can ride their bike on without too many worriesas we had in NYC. The house prices are great compared to what you get in NY for$500,000 and what you can get in Stroudsburg for $200,000. Both my wife and Iwork in NYC, and the commute for us is fine in the mornings, 1:20 minutes topsto New York. I work for the City of New York and have come across co-workerswho have been living in PA for over 12yrs doing the commute so itís notimpossible. It depends on your Job and work schedule for example I work from7am - 3pm and I have no problem with the commute. There are a few local busesthat run morning and evening schedules, but in an emergency if I left workearly, I can always jump on the Martz bus. I would recommend you and youhusband spend a week or two in the area and get a feel for yourself. Where everin the world you are bad things happen that's a part of life and Stroudsburg isno different every once in a while you might hear of an incident, but not as oftenas in the city. We've been here almost two years now and we've never heard ofany major crimes or robbery going on every week. We love it here and we arelooking forward to the next 10 to 20 yrs. up here.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
My husband and I are interested in moving to east stroudsburg as well, you mentioned a local bus that runs early morning and evening schedules...where can i find out more about this? the martz system is very pricey and his hours are about the same as yours so we are looking for a better way for him to commute.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae6714 View Post
My husband and I are interested in moving to east stroudsburg as well, you mentioned a local bus that runs early morning and evening schedules...where can i find out more about this? the martz system is very pricey and his hours are about the same as yours so we are looking for a better way for him to commute.
I've seen buses from a company called Polonez. I am not a bus commuter so I don't have any first-hand info about them or any other bus company, but here is their website: POLONEZ TOUR BUS INC.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,027 times
Unfortunately, those who know Stroudsburg PA. well, do know that the area is a dangerous one. There is a high amount of drug trafficking, and drug abuse. The police force is tiny, and unable to cope. Most crimes, such as assaults, pick-pocketing, being accosted on the street, not only at night, but also during the day, are NOT reported, due to the police tend to question, and investigate those who report crime rather than conduct proper investigations. Most people in the area know this so they only contact poloce as a very last resort. A perfect example is a friend of mine was walking to his car and an extremely vicious dog menaced him. The dog chased him back into his house while the owner taunted and laughed. Police were called but did nothing. Very sad but typical!

Old 12-29-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared Stroudsburg View Post
A perfect example is a friend of mine was walking to his car and an extremely vicious dog menaced him. The dog chased him back into his house while the owner taunted and laughed. Police were called but did nothing. Very sad but typical!
Sorry to hear that! Was that on 1st Street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania