U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 04:50 PM

186 posts, read 195,698 times

Advertisements

I don't think stroudsburg is that bad.Most of the issues in the area revolve around drugs and once in a while you ll hear about a robbery or random shooting but that's not all the time. I've lived here for a few years and it's really not that bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 318 times
Unhappy Great change within past 10 years, crowded, wild and fun for the college crowd

Lived there for 5 months and ran back to NJ due to school system not healthy for young teen and the ongoing lack of jobs for health care positions that pay well in Jersey and very little in PA. The culture is sadly decaying. Not speaking racially inclined. My focus is on that Pocono vibe spirit we once had when visiting the beautiful magestic mountains and its people who were highly hospitable. I was once bullied by traffic controllers often they were from 10 to 20 year olds. They cursed me out and often shouted get back to Jersey if you cant listen or follow direction. The young male wanted me to throw my car on a ditch and chance destroying my vehicle to then ask police to handle my disobedience. He challenged me for a fight, I was shocked. Im a single mom, I am EMS and did not give into his rage. I simply remained neutral and answered can not, unsafe to do. Asked them Feel free to request the police. He could not hear me for he was verbally attacking me and eliciting a physical fight.

~Now I understand what my EMS and police officers friends, pals meant when they said they are animals and would shoot you if they are armed trust none. I am sorry to display such negative appeal....I am actually keeping it "light".

Theres a beautiful people there of course, those who can not afford to move, love their place or create beauty and music were they are...they remain aware and alert for the drug and gang problems and a serious problem with child abusers and sexual deviants who make the poconos their home and fun places to frequent...

Scary stuff. I took my son out of the school system in Stroudsburg in a hurry. He is a bright, timid and humble kid who just want to be safe and not bullyed.

For business its another story. Food enterprises do marvelous in there. I would research safety and best areas to do business and best be protected from the thugs, the drugs and the getto ambiance.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:17 PM

141 posts, read 94,900 times
I know this is an old thread, but how is life here? I'll tell you. It was better in 2006 when the question was asked.

How is life here?

1) EXPENSIVE.

PA has the highest gas taxes in the nation.

Monroe county has the highest property taxes in the entire country, averaging 5% of the value of your house. The recent reassessment will likely double or triple the current taxes.

The property taxes go up every single year.

Senior discounts? Fuhgeddabodit. Homestead exemption? A joke- pocket change.

Tax reform? Yeah right. All the tax breaks go to multi-billion dollar businesses like Kalahari, who will pay almost no property tax for the next 20 years while homeowners get to subsidize them. This, while they rake in billions a year in profits...

2) Crowded. Traffic on the weekends, especially in summer- rivals that of midtown Manhattan at rush hour.

3) Filthy. Because you have all those wonderful "visitors" throwing their beer bottles, soda cans, fast food debris, and dirty diapers out their car windows as they pass by. What do they care- they don't have to live here.

4) Dangerous. Main St in Stroudsburg look pretty much like every other Main St in small town America. By day, it looks cute, quaint, and charming. By night- you take your life in your hands walking there. Parking rates for the meters are also obscenely high for a backwater like this.

5) Crime. There isn't a day that goes by when you watch the local news on channel 13 that there isn't a violent crime of some kind. Murder, armed robbery, rape, assault. Property crime is also a daily occurrence.

Did I mention the gangs? Crips, Bloods, MS-13, Juggalos, Netas, Latin Kings, and a few smaller home-grown wannabe gangs. Then there's the hate groups like the KKK and Aryan Nation...

6) Economically depressed, no jobs, lousy expensive slow broadband.

This used to be a decent place to live. I post this only for the edification of anyone who seriously would consider moving to this hell hole.

Maybe not all of PA is this bad, but the Poconos in general has become a sewer.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:52 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,512,787 times
Quote:
5) Crime. There isn't a day that goes by when you watch the local news on channel 13 that there isn't a violent crime of some kind. Murder, armed robbery, rape, assault. Property crime is also a daily occurrence.

Did I mention the gangs? Crips, Bloods, MS-13, Juggalos, Netas, Latin Kings, and a few smaller home-grown wannabe gangs. Then there's the hate groups like the KKK and Aryan Nation...
Wow, remind me not to hang around near you. All that crime and all those gangs!

I remember the Juggalo murder in 2009 which was in Canadensis not Stroudsburg, but otherwise all that other gang stuff escapes me.

Truth is, after the stock market crash of 2009 a lot of people moved back to New York and crime went way down. The graffiti you started seeing in the Stroudsburgs in the mid to late 2000's is generally a thing of the past, though you still see some now and then.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:50 PM

2,354 posts, read 2,357,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit99 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but how is life here? I'll tell you. It was better in 2006 when the question was asked.

How is life here?

1) EXPENSIVE.

PA has the highest gas taxes in the nation.

Monroe county has the highest property taxes in the entire country, averaging 5% of the value of your house. The recent reassessment will likely double or triple the current taxes.

The property taxes go up every single year.

Senior discounts? Fuhgeddabodit. Homestead exemption? A joke- pocket change.

Tax reform? Yeah right. All the tax breaks go to multi-billion dollar businesses like Kalahari, who will pay almost no property tax for the next 20 years while homeowners get to subsidize them. This, while they rake in billions a year in profits...

2) Crowded. Traffic on the weekends, especially in summer- rivals that of midtown Manhattan at rush hour.

3) Filthy. Because you have all those wonderful "visitors" throwing their beer bottles, soda cans, fast food debris, and dirty diapers out their car windows as they pass by. What do they care- they don't have to live here.

4) Dangerous. Main St in Stroudsburg look pretty much like every other Main St in small town America. By day, it looks cute, quaint, and charming. By night- you take your life in your hands walking there. Parking rates for the meters are also obscenely high for a backwater like this.

6) Economically depressed, no jobs, lousy expensive slow broadband.

This used to be a decent place to live. I post this only for the edification of anyone who seriously would consider moving to this hell hole.

Maybe not all of PA is this bad, but the Poconos in general has become a sewer.
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Old 05-17-2017, 03:17 AM

9,506 posts, read 8,059,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
Me and my wife have lived in Monroe for about 70 years (I'm 70 and she will turn 70 in 2 months). I have supported our family at jobs that where primarily in our County. As a young adult I did spent about six months working in New Jersey and, at one time, I followed my work for five years to Carlisle. My wife only worked for ten years. But we survived and have the house we always wanted - with no debt.

We also have not experienced any crime; other than getting ripped off by two customers when I was in business many years ago. At our house I lost one garden rake (maybe I just misplaced it). Are there bad areas in my County - of course; so we do not hang around those areas.

Is our gas more expensive - it always has been. So we complained and adjusted. But we do live in a vacation county and we have more fun with our gas!

As far as traffic; we drive in directions where there is no traffic. Instead of traveling to Tannersville; we drive to Mt. Pocono to shop. With all of the road construction planned it could get worse; but we will adjust (that's life).

When it comes to trash: How much of that trash is on our highways because it is shipped here from the metropolitan areas? I-84 and I-80 are the two primary routes to PA's landfills. We have had an aggressive crackdown on garbage haulers entering our State. At one time you could track the garbage to the landfills because of ripped tarps on the trucks. We could cut down on our litter simply by forcing the large cities to take care of their own garbage. Maybe our garbage rates would be lower and our roads would be cleaner.

People can make mistakes no matter where they live. Too much debt, bad home work, and unrealistic expectations and desires will put many in harm's way. When it comes to real estate; always remember the adage: Buyer beware. If people were not gullible we would not have 800 numbers calling us all the time.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:19 PM

141 posts, read 94,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Me and my wife have lived in Monroe for about 70 years (I'm 70 and she will turn 70 in 2 months). I have supported our family at jobs that where primarily in our County. As a young adult I did spent about six months working in New Jersey and, at one time, I followed my work for five years to Carlisle. My wife only worked for ten years. But we survived and have the house we always wanted - with no debt.

We also have not experienced any crime; other than getting ripped off by two customers when I was in business many years ago. At our house I lost one garden rake (maybe I just misplaced it). Are there bad areas in my County - of course; so we do not hang around those areas.

Is our gas more expensive - it always has been. So we complained and adjusted. But we do live in a vacation county and we have more fun with our gas!

As far as traffic; we drive in directions where there is no traffic. Instead of traveling to Tannersville; we drive to Mt. Pocono to shop. With all of the road construction planned it could get worse; but we will adjust (that's life).

When it comes to trash: How much of that trash is on our highways because it is shipped here from the metropolitan areas? I-84 and I-80 are the two primary routes to PA's landfills. We have had an aggressive crackdown on garbage haulers entering our State. At one time you could track the garbage to the landfills because of ripped tarps on the trucks. We could cut down on our litter simply by forcing the large cities to take care of their own garbage. Maybe our garbage rates would be lower and our roads would be cleaner.

People can make mistakes no matter where they live. Too much debt, bad home work, and unrealistic expectations and desires will put many in harm's way. When it comes to real estate; always remember the adage: Buyer beware. If people were not gullible we would not have 800 numbers calling us all the time.
As far as traffic- I live in the middle of Tannersville. There are days I literally have to turn around and go home because I cannot get to where I need to go- even on the back roads.

As far as trash- if I had a dollar for every time I saw one of these pigs throw trash out their car window I could buy a house in Florida- for cash. And it isn't just out of state people that do it either.

I try and be a good citizen. I recycle. I compost. I dispose of trash properly. Doesn't seem to make a difference on my street though. All of the above seem to be too much work for the average person now.

My husband just retired. We are living on a fixed income now. Yes, our house is paid for, but we could possibly face a 200-300% property tax increase on our 80+ year old house. How does one deal with something like that? If our taxes go up as much as some of the folks in Jim Thorpe's did recently- we would be paying over 1/3 of our income just for taxes.

What's going on in this county is nothing short of criminal. If you're well off and don't mind, good for you. But the rest of us aren't so lucky and are just struggling to get by- and it gets harder every day.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:53 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,028,472 times
Property taxes have not gone up in JT. A budget was passed in December with no increase. There is a potential school increase but it's facing huge opposition and it's been held over right now on a continuance from the board.

Old Today, 07:59 PM

101 posts, read 120,063 times
There is no part of the Poconos where the traffic "rivals that of Manhattan at the height of rush hour." That's just ridiculous. People truly see what they they want to see. I've lived here for 3 years now and have yet to experience any part of the Poconos as crowded, filthy, OR dangerous. Perhaps if you're comparing it to how it was in 1950...but we love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania