Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:38 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times

Advertisements

I feel like a broken record...I've said it before...I'll say it again...it really has NOTHING to do with the gates. I live in a gated community with over 4,000 lots and there is little to no crime in my community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Its amazing what has happened to the poconos and yet soem still seem to think that all is well. The influx of families from the NYC metro area is a bad thing regardless of whether or not some are good families. Its obvious that the blatant disregard for life and property has followed them. The sad part is that I don't see much that can be done. Everyone screams for economic and social growth in the region and guess what they got what they asked for. There are people here in the Scranton area that want to embrace this growth with trains to the city and they want to bring in that out of state money. I for one want it to stay where its at and I don't think that the problems that will follow are worth the economic impact in the beginning. In the long run our proximity to the poconos and the NJ, NYC area will be the downfall of NEPA. Those that can afford to live in the better areas of NJ and NY are not moving, but those can sell their house in a bad area for what would be considered here good money will then move to NEPA and buy a house for they see as a deal based on where they are coming from. They will bring the problems with them like we see in the poconos. In a perfect world the expansion into NEPA might be good, but in the real world it is nothing BUT REAL PROBLEMS for the region.
I am truly disheartened by your attitude about folks from NY and NJ as being the downfall of NEPA. Are there some problems with some people from these areas, off course there is? But to paint all with such a broad brush is truly sad.

What were comminutes doing to try and stop the problems that the influx of “undesirables” brought initially.? The comminutes are to be held somewhat responsible. Drugs dealers sell drugs where there is a market for them. Or did they bring all the users with them?

As far a people from out of state moving here because they can not afford where they come from is totally off the mark. Many people that own homes and have good jobs are leaving where I come from simply because they want to enjoy life and slow down a bit instead of working 60-80 hours a week just to afford 12,000 dollar a year property taxes.

If your attitude is in the majority, maybe as sign should be erected at the Water Gap saying passports are required and do not over stay.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:04 PM

910 posts, read 2,991,538 times
This is one of those touchy threads I'll just watch. I do agree with loveinbloom though!
http://www.awallacedesigns.com/images/popcorn.gif (broken link)

Last edited by poconosmama; 01-24-2008 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 01-24-2008, 12:12 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
If your attitude is in the majority, maybe as sign should be erected at the Water Gap saying passports are required and do not over stay.
I have a feeling it's not.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:47 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
The crime and the nature of the crime in the poconos has progressed side by side with the influx of people moving. Thats not news. If they were from CT then I would say the same thing. I grew up in North Pocono school district and watched the changes as they happened. Its my opinion and if that bothers you sorry but the reality of it is that the percentage of pocono residents that are generationally from there are dropping and the same would be said for the number of residents that are from PA. I was born in NJ and I worked, lived and commuted there for years and still spend alot of there so its not like I don't get out or anything. NP school district is nothing like it used to be as far the demographic of people that are actually from the area. Common your seriously telling me that the level of crime in the poconos has nothing to do with the influx of new residents from out of state irregardless of the state in particular. CHS89 I highly doubt that I'm alone on this one.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
The crime and the nature of the crime in the poconos has progressed side by side with the influx of people moving. Thats not news. If they were from CT then I would say the same thing. I grew up in North Pocono school district and watched the changes as they happened. Its my opinion and if that bothers you sorry but the reality of it is that the percentage of pocono residents that are generationally from there are dropping and the same would be said for the number of residents that are from PA. I was born in NJ and I worked, lived and commuted there for years and still spend alot of there so its not like I don't get out or anything. NP school district is nothing like it used to be as far the demographic of people that are actually from the area. Common your seriously telling me that the level of crime in the poconos has nothing to do with the influx of new residents from out of state irregardless of the state in particular. CHS89 I highly doubt that I'm alone on this one.

The numbers say it all...more people more crime. It has nothing to do with where an individual hails from. You stated a "disregard for life and property", as if this is the norm, while this maybe true for a very small percentage of individuals I seriously doubt it is any type of group think as you seem to be attempting to portray it.

You obviously have a firm belief that it is “outsiders "that will be the downfall of NEPA, I strongly disagree. It maybe transplants that save it.

The sad thing is that I am sure you are not alone in your belief...

Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM

Surely not alone, but not anywhere close to the majority, either. Just my take on it.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
I'll do some research and see how many of the more viloent crimes in the poconos were committed by people from Pa vs. transplants from the other states.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:52 PM

Where will you draw the line? After all, you yourself would be considered by some to be a NJ transplant.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 PM

188 posts, read 156,263 times
Default Funny

I would hazard a guess that most of the inhabitants in the zoos are from out of state anyway. They are probably more frightened of these yocal rednecks than they are out committing crimes.

Reading some of the tone, it sounds like people from NY & NJ are a different species all together.

I don't think the people in NY & NJ would classify the Pennsylvanians as such.

I don't think the majority of any group would attempt to justify this argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania