Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 02:49 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

While doing some research on the issue of urban sprawl in the Poconos, I came across a March 1, 2000 article in the Northeast Pennsylvania Business Journal that highlighted the massive growth occurring in Monroe County. Here is the link to the article:

Rapid growth continues in the Poconos | Accommodation and Food Services > Accommodation from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/north-america/united-states-pennsylvania/1038889-1.html - broken link)

It should be interesting to note that just seven-and-a-half or so years ago, people weren't concerned about the word "sprawl" in the Poconos. I had to laugh at a quote from local real estate broker Michael Baxter, who said "We're not that close to a metropolitan area to worry about urban sprawl coming to the Poconos." Is that guy SERIOUS? Has he traveled on Route 611, Route 209, I-80, etc. lately? Has he not seen the Best Buy, Lowe's, Borders, Longhorn Steakhouse, etc. all springing up, along with the dozens of residential planned communities that have been established since 2000 in the county? Does he realize that East Stroudsburg is now considered an official micropolitan area by the U.S. Census Bureau? Does he realize that neighboring Pike County is now included in the New York City CSA and that Monroe County might very well be added by the 2020 Census? Does he even realize that by 2020 Monroe County will be more populous than Lackawanna County (Scranton Area)?

To me this seems to be an awful lot of growth occurring for an area that doesn't have to worry about sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania