Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,158 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into buying a second home in the Poconos. We would like to buy in a community with amenities geared towards children and teens.

Ideally, we would like the community to have:
- a lake with a beach
- allow ATVs and golf carts
- indoor/outdoor pools
- and be within 15 minutes of a ski resort
- be within 2 hours of NYC

And if there is a lake that would allow for wave runners, that would be amazing. If this kind of community does not exist, I would like for a lake that allows motorized boats to be nearby.

Any help/advise is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 02:21 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,345 times
Lake Harmony allows all kinds of boats. It isn't a development though, so no golf carts/atvs. Towamensing Trails has a sand beach and an outdoor pool. You are allowed electric motors on the lake - like pontoons, row boats with an outboard electric motor. Also golf carts and ATVs. You can't offroad with the ATVs though. You could check to see if Beltzville allows waverunners - then you could look in any of the developments in that area. You should also be able to use the ATVs on the state gamelands. That's all I know about the area near Big Boulder/Jack Frost skiing.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:08 PM

130 posts, read 310,293 times
Except for the Wave Runners, the community where we have our vacation home could be a good fit. Check out Bear Creek Lakes near Jim Thorpe. Several of our neighbors come in from NY every weekend. What boro are you coming from? Our nearest neighbors come in from Queens.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
Check out Hemlock Farms. I've heard good and bad things about the community, but it satisfies everything on your wish list including an indoor lap pool. Tanglewood ski area is close by.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:04 PM

159 posts, read 457,966 times
Big Bass Lake is nice but no golf carts or motorized boats. Power boats are allowed on Lake Harmony but it's a small lake. The big lake is Wallenpaupak and there you would want to look at Lake Wallenpaupak Estates. I would not look at Towamensing Trails. Look for upscale communities with nice amenities and higher dues. I almost went for a powerboat lake, but I opted for serenity over the buzzing of boats and waverunners.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,158 times
@ katwag - We live in Manhattan.

Thanks for all the feedback. This is very helpful.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:45 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Look in WLE ; Wallenpaupak Lake Estates. I have a house for sale there. the reason its for sale is that we moved from long Island and the house is too far for us now.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:46 AM

30 posts, read 69,226 times
Some of the communities around Lake Wallenpaupack would fit your critieria. You may want to try Wallenpaupack Lake Estates, Tanglwood Lake Estates, Indian Rocks, etc. Masthope is also a great community with a lot of amenties. No big lake there but you can get to Lake Wallenpaupack in about 20-25 minutes.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,195 times
Default Vacation home suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWag View Post
Except for the Wave Runners, the community where we have our vacation home could be a good fit. Check out Bear Creek Lakes near Jim Thorpe. Several of our neighbors come in from NY every weekend. What boro are you coming from? Our nearest neighbors come in from Queens.
Hi,

we are looking into buying a vacation home in Towamensing Trails..we originally looked at Arrowhead but want a home where our boys (19 and 20) can go with friends to use ATV's. We would also like a pool, fishing and being able to use a golf cart in the community. Coming from Philly-any suggestions?

Old 10-03-2016, 03:54 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,142,011 times
If you do a search on this forum you'll find plenty of good solid advice on this topic that has been asked more than my aunt Nelly has been asked to the altar....keep in mind that living in a community means you'll have to abide by their rules....something many don't like and some HOA boards are nothing but a bunch of crooks who take your money and give back next to nothing in return....so chose wisely...I've touched on this topic many times here on NEPA....if you don't like HOA boards telling what you can/can't do steer clear of communities....WLE is your best bet though and anywhere in that area....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania