Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:10 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,170,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I'm not saying don't have a gun, i'm just tired of people fooling themselves with these justifications for having them. have it cause you want it, cause you like it, cause you use it to hunt, or cause you enjoy carrying it. but unless you're a well trained individual, it's not gonna do you much good if someone is on a shooting rampage one random evening.
It happened in NEPA last year. A person carrying concealed stopped a madman on a shooting rampage.

Police: Bar patron shot Plymouth homicide suspect - News - Citizens' Voice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 03:06 PM

18,764 posts, read 18,054,457 times
Many of the townships are considering beefing up security in the wake of this shooting. That doesn't mean that it will actually save lives. It is possible that some of the perpetrators will think twice before attacking. In Mr. Newell's case he was prepared to die. I always thought that we should teach everybody basic self defense. Throwing any objects at a shooter and charging could keep casualties lower. It is very hard to aim if books, shoes, etc. are headed in your direction. Would I rather have a gun - YES.

The one thing I have not heard are any reports of is how loud it was when that .44 magnum was going off inside the room. If you stand over a mud puddle and discharge the weapon; the shock wave is visible in the water. It has to be deafening inside a building. That is one reason that I wondered how Newell got by with a quick hospital visit - it had to be superficial.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:10 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,238,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Who purchased the land from Sheriff's sale?

Why was township so interested in this particular piece of land?

Have you kept up with the news? He ignored ordinances for YEARS, even having human waste in buckets near a stream.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:12 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,922,154 times
As always happens when something of this nature happens, all of the news outlets race to be first with whatever piece of information they glean, and sometimes, bits get lost in all the haste.

At some point, I read/heard that Newell was on a payment plan with the tax office. True? Not true? I can't remember the source so I can't link it.

As for the sheriff "ignoring" the report from Newell's father that Rockne Newell was dangerous, WILK reported this morning that the sheriff's department took it to mean that their office was threatened, not the township supervisors; apparently because the sheriff was the one who served the confiscatory notice to Newell.

Reports are surfacing that Rockne Newell hoped to be killed during his rampage. True? Not true? How does one filter rumor from truth?

The one true thing is that three people are dead and many lives are forever changed.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
As always happens when something of this nature happens, all of the news outlets race to be first with whatever piece of information they glean, and sometimes, bits get lost in all the haste.

At some point, I read/heard that Newell was on a payment plan with the tax office. True? Not true? I can't remember the source so I can't link it.

As for the sheriff "ignoring" the report from Newell's father that Rockne Newell was dangerous, WILK reported this morning that the sheriff's department took it to mean that their office was threatened, not the township supervisors; apparently because the sheriff was the one who served the confiscatory notice to Newell.

Reports are surfacing that Rockne Newell hoped to be killed during his rampage. True? Not true? How does one filter rumor from truth?

The one true thing is that three people are dead and many lives are forever changed.
Our local paper is know for making some mistakes.

But they did have a reporter at that meeting the night of the shooting. It was either his first time covering a township meeting or the first time covering a meeting at Ross Township? I have a feeling he might not be back anytime soon.

I did post a link to that article that ran on the Sheriff's department and the threat. I don't understand why they did not act - especially if they thought the threat was against them? But; many people do not really mean what they say and we can't lock up everybody. I am sure that they are replaying this whole tragedy.

As far as Newell expected to be killed: That was what was reported - I forget which link. I believe that he also stated that he wanted to kill them all - that means that our heroes saved lives.

And, yes, many lives will be changed for a very long time.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,238,496 times
Ross Township shooting suspect: 'I wish I killed more of them!' | PoconoRecord.com

Quote:

When police interviewed Newell in the hospital, he said
he targeted the meeting because it was the only time he could get the
supervisors and solicitor in a single location.

He further related he intended to shoot the solicitor and
supervisors and thought he would them be killed during the incident.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:53 AM

Thanks Magritte!

Old 08-09-2013, 06:57 AM

1,929 posts, read 3,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Why was township so interested in this particular piece of land?
Because it was a dump!! That's why!! Haven't you seen the pictures?? Even if you haven't they've given enough of a description of the place so you'd get an idea of the deplorable conditions it is in...it is uninhabitable!!

Old 08-09-2013, 07:09 AM

1,929 posts, read 3,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Reports are surfacing that Rockne Newell hoped to be killed during his rampage. True? Not true?
He did admit that to state police. He also stated his intentions were to get the township supervisors who took *his* land away from him, to kill as many as he can, and that he hoped to die in the shootout. He stated that he didn't expect to come out of that alive.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 PM

13,253 posts, read 33,440,554 times
This was in today's Morning Call, Ross Township victims mourned; shooting scene gets another look from police - mcall.com A good article putting some focus on the heroes of the event.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania