U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:02 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,955,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I get tired of people who have nice things and don't appreciate them, which is why when people slam Scranton (or Wilkes-Barre for that matter, which is a notch down from Scranton in my opinion but is still a great place to live), I feel compeled to remind them that the grass is NOT always greener in other cities that they benchmark us to. Look me straight in the eye and tell me the quality-of-life in the urban cores of Camden, Reading, Harrisburg, etc. is better than it is in the core of Scranton (or Wilkes-Barre for that matter). How could you possibly make the comparison? Apparently I touched a nerve with the Allentown comment, but have you compared the crime rate lately between that city and Scranton? Even with 30,000 more residents or so, there is no excuse for the disparity.
I am not going to discuss Scranton, because with a city its size, it truly does have an impressive low crime rate and Camden isn't even in our state.
But how about the others you mention?
Crime Rates Wilkes-Barre, Harrisburg Allentown, Lancaster
Violent Crime 5 7 6 7
Property Crime 6 8 7 6

The crime indices range 1-10. A higher number corresponds with more crime. crime rates are based on FBI data

How about populations in those cities(2006)?
WB 41,288
HBG 48,288
Atown 106,632
Lancaster 55,351

Maybe it is just me, but those numbers don't really show WB to be much better off, maybe even a bit worse off.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:51 AM

414 posts, read 1,291,963 times
I've stopped thinking about Wilkes-Barre as just the geographic city and started thinking of it as Wyoming Valley, from Nanticoke to West Pittston, Luzerne to Wilkes-Barre Township....excluding the communities beyond the Valley's contours e.g. Back Mountain, Bear Creek, etc.

Despite the city's formal boundaries, Wyoming Valley is the aggregate, developed city. It is the physical city that has evolved in its entirety....population? 135,000? 160.000? Wilkes-Barre +Kingston+Edwardsville+Larksville+ Plymouth, Forty Fort, Swoyersville, Luzerne, Wyoming, West wyoming, Exeter, West Pittston, Pittston, Plains, Laflin, W-B Twshp., Ashley, West Nanticoke, Alden, Askam and son and so forth....

If you can't get your head around it, think of it by some other name......e.g. "Wyominga" har, har........

Old 11-15-2007, 08:28 AM

2,938 posts, read 1,100,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post

ConorsDad lives in Scranton. Under your argument, why then does he provide so much insight about Wilkes-Barre? He doesn't live there. He doesn't pay property taxes there. Why then don't you attack him for giving his opinions about Wilkes-Barre??

While I don't live in Wilkes-Barre, I do work in Wilkes-Barre, meaning that I spend just as many, if not more, of my waking hours during the week in W-B than home in Scranton. I'm not meaning this as a shot at you, I just wanted to clarify where my opinions on Wilkes-Barre come from.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:34 AM

2,938 posts, read 1,100,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Parks? Kirby park is scary, filthy and not a pleasant place. We truly miss the city parks in Allentown and the suburban playground/miniparks, I suppose we will go to Ricketts Glenn or try the one out in Scranton.
I have to disagree. While I'm no apologist for the city of Wilkes-Barre, I find Kirby Park to be a nice park, and actually better-maintained than Scranton's Nay Aug Park. Although safety is another issue. With all of the attacks and crimes reported recently at Kirby Park, I've pretty much stopped my lunchtime walks over there. But I didn't find it filthy at all....quite the opposite, actually.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:31 AM

999 posts, read 2,241,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
This line made me laugh, it truly did. Like the cat sitting in the window waiting to be let out.

I don't think I really said anything that was mis-informed about Scranton, with the exception of population. As a matter of fact, I took offense that you were knocking other cities when comparing them to The Holy Land. Most of my posts were about schools and living in suburbia, nothing real specific about Scranton.

Now please turn off your computer and look lovingly out your windows to Scranton.

Hey, I can make out part of the citizens bank sign from my back porch, that means I'm a resident of WB. WooHoo!
LVN: I found your posts very interesting and to the point. I agree completely with your post regarding the fact that many suburban and rural communties are just as close-knit as those in urban settings, even more so in some places. Just because we can't look out our windows into our neighbor's house doesn't mean we aren't neighbors; some people just like to have some space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania