Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 22,255 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy a family vacation home in the Poconos with low taxes and fees. The communities that I think I have narrowed it down to are Towamensing Trails and Holiday Pocono. I have also looked into Big Bass and Indian Mountain lakes. Would like to get some homeowners opinions. I like having the ATV option but it is not a necessity. Trying to base decision on activities and amenities so everyone has something to do, but also do not want to be overrun by HOA rules and fines. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:54 AM
m61

11 posts, read 46,659 times
We've just purchased the house -vacation- in Camelot Forest- location is super convenient, the lots are bigger. The place is small, two little lakes, woody and peaceful. We met a few very nice people.The HOA fees are around $360. We looked for the house in the same area as you are looking at for good 8 months- Camelot became a community of choice for us. But we don't like crowds.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:14 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,107 times
I like it in Towamensing. I don't find their rules to be anything I can't live with. We've owned our house about 9 years and my husband owned one before that. So over a period of 20 years we've never been fined or threatened. It's definitely community living though - there are rules about some things. We were having our roof replaced and the workers left for lunch. Before they came back they had left a note on the door about the materials. No fine, but a warning to have everything removed. They finished up and we didn't hear anything else about it. I like that I'm not going to have to worry about people NOT cleaning up something like that. And the ATVs can only be driven on the roads now. We love going to the lake and the pool. The basketball and tennis courts are always available. I like that everything is well maintained and that they're always changing and adapting and making small improvements. I really love the clubhouse restaurant/bar and the gameroom for our son. We love it there!

Old 08-28-2013, 03:42 PM

There are so many houses for sale it's overwhelming. I find a house I like but something missing from the amenities. I think I have looked at too many houses and now I'm just confused. However I have ruled out Big Bass due to fees. I was set on towamensing but then found a house I love in locust lake with higher fees and no pool. Thank you for your input, everything helps!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:06 PM

159 posts, read 457,869 times
Amenities cost money to improve and maintain. You can find low dues, and you will wind up with poorly maintained amenities. It is always pay for what you get. I prefer to pay higher dues, have nice amenities, nice roads, gated access, 24hr security and well paved roads. Higher dues also translates in to less dirtbags. Sorry to be blunt, but that is my own experience. Rules are in place to protect property values and to protect amenities. I do not want neighbors that can park a rusty, junked car on their front lawn, or a dog that barks all hours, or let their yard go unattended for the whole summer. Do your homework before committing to a purchase.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:33 PM
m61

There are fees and fees and communities and communities. I would not dare to call Wagner Forest or Camelot communities dirtbags. We don't have pools but we have central sewer, township roads- last paved two weeks ago- and township police. What we don't have is - loud neighbours next to your propety, foreclosures on every corner. We have a lot of rules, even more then many people like. Both of the communities are so called preservation communities,they are in great locations and retain decent values. Generalization is not always good. I live behind the gate in upscale suberb in our primary house- kind of don't appreciate always going up maintanance-nothing fees any more. Indian Mountain Lake is gated- kind of borderline with huge lake problems. Towamensing- also lake issues and not upscale at all IMHO. Sorry to be blunt too. There are differnt things for different people.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:14 AM

I don't mind people being blunt, looking for all opinions. I'm not looking for upscale either as I saw in another thread I'm not looking for a house in the suburbs that's where I live full time, I want a mountain house. I decided on a community because there are things for the family to do and when you aren't there people are still around. I'd like low fees because as m61 said I'm assuming they continue to go up. I would like to look around Lake wallenpaupack but have decided its to far at almost 3 hours. M61 what lake issues?

Old 09-03-2013, 01:56 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,107 times
I don't know what lake issues M61 is referring to. Towamensing is large so the dues are pretty low. There have never been any large increases. A couple of years ago the dam had to be improved and there was a special assessment. But all the communities had to upgrade their dams at that time because of requirements for the 100 year flood or something like that. In larger communities pain like that is spread over many people so you feel it less.

I wonder if it would be most helpful for you to focus on 1 development. It's probably confusing to see many houses in all different places. Think about the 1 thing that is most important to you. We really liked the clubhouse and you can't get that easily. It has turned out to be the thing we still like the most. Another thing I like is the large lake. It's laid out in a way that it looks even bigger than it is. And it's just relaxing to sit and look at the water when it seems to go on for a while.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:03 AM

Default Locust Lake/Towamensing

I actually went up last weekend and drove around Towamensing. I found it to be nicer than I expected. The people were very friendly and waving as we drove around. The lake does look like a decent size however the swimming area looked a little small. I think I agree about picking the community to narrow it down. I'm going to check out Locust Lake Village next I am between the two. If you know anything about that community in Pocono Lake let me know! Thanks

Old 09-04-2013, 06:01 PM
m61

Looks like Towamensing lake is OK now, sorry, I apparently had aged info from my first realtor. In Indian Mountains the largest lake is closed, I guess another assessment is coming. Locust Lake is not far from us, I have friends living there. It is nice as far as I've heard of. The other thing to consider is where you will be driving from, how far you want to be from the major roads. Especially in winter months that may matter a lot. Drive through Camelot when you will go to Locust, that was the way we found our house :L).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania