Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 08:38 AM

76 posts, read 687,419 times

Advertisements

Anyone recommend who they use for home heating oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 06:38 PM

55 posts, read 122,622 times
Ranson Fuel 570-390-4369

best price that I found a low minimum!
Randy is nice to deal with also

Old 09-13-2013, 04:14 PM

755 posts, read 2,334,082 times
Where in Pike Cty? Shohola/Milford area, I recommend Advantage Oil. Excellent service and prices. 570-296-8585. Jerry is the owner. He and his 2 sons do the deliveries and service.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:41 PM

234 posts, read 939,906 times
Bottini Fuel Oil. They have several offices, but the one in Port Jervis is closest to Pike County. I have been dealing with them for about 3 years and I have found them to be honest and reliable, and they can also service your oil burner. (845) 744-2311

Old 09-23-2013, 12:47 PM

755 posts, read 2,334,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJexpat View Post
Bottini Fuel Oil. They have several offices, but the one in Port Jervis is closest to Pike County. I have been dealing with them for about 3 years and I have found them to be honest and reliable, and they can also service your oil burner. (845) 744-2311
I called around for prices last winter and Bottini was the most expensive. Guess the price makes up for the good customer service.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:04 AM

9 posts, read 7,019 times
Bottini literally left me out in the cold. Deerpark Oil in Sparrowbush, NY helped me out of a pinch. I am done with Bottini for oil.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:42 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windywords View Post
Bottini literally left me out in the cold. Deerpark Oil in Sparrowbush, NY helped me out of a pinch. I am done with Bottini for oil.
That's one of the problems with heating oil suppliers. You can get a good price but they might not show up when needed.

We have a long, terrible, driveway that has an 18% grade. When our driveway is clear; that is when they have to come. They cannot deliver when there is snow or ice. We had one oil company for 20 years and they did do a pretty good job. However, then we had one bad winter and a storm that left a three to four foot drift up our driveway. We were also running low on oil and I had asked them to come before the storm and they had not come. I could not find anybody to plow my snow; it was far too much. So I ended up hand shoveling the whole driveway and salting it so they could deliver. Before I did shove it they promised to deliver if I got the driveway clear. After I did the backbreaking work they told me they were too busy and could not come! I told them that I would immediately try for another company and then they would have my business - which I did. One half hour later they called back and apologized and I told them too late; they were replaced!

Old 01-30-2017, 08:05 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
We use Liberty Discount Fuel out of Bartonsville, PA. They also deliver to Pike County. 800.645.4747

Liberty offers a competitive discount price, and I am a "will call" customer. That means I call when I want oil, and they come the next day. They do not have me on a delivery schedule.

I get my burner serviced by Mountain Fuels, who specializes in the Dynatherm boiler.

We too have a steep, challenging driveway and if I don't stay on top of the weather forecast when we need oil, I'm up the creek. Back in 2008 or so, I had to keep running out to fill up my 5 gallon can because our driveway got covered with ice and stayed that way for two weeks, and it was real cold!

Old 01-30-2017, 11:44 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
We use Liberty Discount Fuel out of Bartonsville, PA. They also deliver to Pike County. 800.645.4747

Liberty offers a competitive discount price, and I am a "will call" customer. That means I call when I want oil, and they come the next day. They do not have me on a delivery schedule.

I get my burner serviced by Mountain Fuels, who specializes in the Dynatherm boiler.

We too have a steep, challenging driveway and if I don't stay on top of the weather forecast when we need oil, I'm up the creek. Back in 2008 or so, I had to keep running out to fill up my 5 gallon can because our driveway got covered with ice and stayed that way for two weeks, and it was real cold!
I did not give names only because this thread is about Pike County - your delivery company does deliver there. But delivery is one major concerns living in the country with bad driveways. People tend to overlook 'reliability' when they purchase heating oil or propane. I never wanted to be in the position of buying 5 gallons at a time! It takes many 5 gallon containers to fill one 500 gallon tank. Plus a 190,000 BTU furnace can go through that fairly quick in freezing temperatures. But the larger tanks give us more days to plan for an oil delivery. The larger tanks do give people sticker shock when the fuel prices go sky high.

PS years ago we had an old Dynatherm boiler and the heat tubes were rusting out with age. I remember that I used to repair it by driving sawed off, pointed, broom sticks into the bad tube on both ends of the furnace. The wood would swell when wet and seal off the bad tube. The problem was that one tube after another kept going from age.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:39 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But delivery is one major concerns living in the country with bad driveways. People tend to overlook 'reliability' when they purchase heating oil or propane.

Actually, it's been so long I neglected to caution the OP that when they call Liberty, find out which office is dispatching the truck!

The first time I called them, I somehow got thru to their Easton office, and that driver got lost coming up to Shawnee! After I straightened all that out, I made sure I got thru to the Bartonsville office for dispatching. That was in the days when GPS was still fairly new and we didn't have house numbers yet.

Given the age of our Dynatherm boiler, I recently asked our service guy about the comparative efficiency of replacement units. He basically said our unit would run forever and is highly efficient, so don't even think about replacing it! I know "forever" is a relative term, but the thing is over 50 years old and still does a splendid job of pumping out heat and hot water (knock wood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania