Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:00 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff18wife View Post
DAWN is actually recommended. If you look around the Internet, it is used when they rescue wild life from oil spills. We treat the grass with Triazicide. Kills just about anything that moves in the grass. That's why we think the house had them.
i was thinking that dawn would strip the oils from your pets and make them even itchier considering they are already scratching from the fleas. but i do know that dawn is good for removing oil. glad it works for you. NOW GET TO VACUUMING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i was thinking that dawn would strip the oils from your pets and make them even itchier considering they are already scratching from the fleas. but i do know that dawn is good for removing oil. glad it works for you. NOW GET TO VACUUMING!
My dog got sores that followed her spine all the way from top to bottom, from the perfume in shampoos. I saw this after thinking her groomer used the usual Oatmeal Shampoo, and we were gone for 10 days ( she had a sitter)
Dawn would have not been an option with her. I am doubting with this other little one either. I had two very allergic dogs.
However I want to keep the skunk antidote handy, if that ever happens.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:17 PM

755 posts, read 2,333,098 times
You guys are giving such great advice....thank you, thank you.

One note, I've been using Hartz products (among Dawn and some others) and have not had any problems with the dog or the cat. Guess I'm just lucky and believe me, I WILL NOT complain. I feel bad for those animals who can't tolerate Hartz products. I just bought Sargeants Flea Powder for the cat. Haven't tried that yet but wanted to give it a shot. Thought maybe the powder might work better than the Hartz cat spray.

Off to Walmart tomorrow to get more Raid House Spray...I found if I used that daily or every other day, it was helping tremendously. I think b/c I could spray directly into areas where a bomb might not reach.

Also, I have a log home and obviously it is wood outside but also it is all wood inside except for some interior walls so there are plenty of nooks and crannies for these critters to hide in. It's easier with the Raid spray to aim in those areas. Back to spraying...

Thanks again everyone.....

Old 11-16-2007, 03:17 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:

One note, I've been using Hartz products (among Dawn and some others) and have not had any problems with the dog or the cat. Guess I'm just lucky and believe me, I WILL NOT complain. I feel bad for those animals who can't tolerate Hartz products. I just bought Sargeants Flea Powder for the cat. Haven't tried that yet but wanted to give it a shot. Thought maybe the powder might work better than the Hartz cat spray.

Off to Walmart tomorrow to get more Raid House Spray...I found if I used that daily or every other day, it was helping tremendously. I think b/c I could spray directly into areas where a bomb might not reach.

Also, I have a log home and obviously it is wood outside but also it is all wood inside except for some interior walls so there are plenty of nooks and crannies for these critters to hide in. It's easier with the Raid spray to aim in those areas. Back to spraying...

I'm glad you have this kinda figured out........But, I swear to you if you get started on Frontline for fleas and ticks........you will never have to spray or bomb ever again. This takes care of the fact that eggs can not get started on the dog. It stops the repeat of this problem. I'm sure you can google that information on how it works.
I just for the last many, many years would not go without it. It is worth the 30 dollars, or even if it were more....Because you will have a zero problem forevermore....

Old 11-16-2007, 04:40 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
It is too bad to be plagued by this constant problem, but I would ask myself if the constant use of chemicals on the inside and outside of the house is worth the health risks to the family, especially if you have children.
I've been avoiding the whopping vet bill and not doing anything preventative, but now I will look into it.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:51 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times
Quote:

forget about the hartz and the powders and the sprays. just start using the frontline drops once a month and you'll see that it is worth every penny. dont know but maybe with winter coming it'll be less of a problem. when i was in ohio i didnt even have to use anything for fleas from nov-march.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:27 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Default Use Frontline PLUS

There's Frontline and there's Frontline Plus --- the latter deals with all 4 life cycles of fleas rather than just the biting adults. Although I paid through the nose for it at Petco, urgency ruled the day and I didn't want to order it online and have to wait for the shipment.

For the past week, on a daily basis, I've been laundering everything not nailed down (throw rugs, pet bedding, etc.) and vacuuming the floors and carpets. I have a chopped up flea collar in my vac bag, and I spray the trash can that has the dryer lint with a flea-kill spray.

I treated my dog and three cats with Frontline Plus two days ago, and as of today, at least on the dog, I haven't seen a critter scurrying around.

I'm not a fan of chemicals for anything, but in this case of fleas, I did use them and I'm glad I did.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:31 PM

30 posts, read 148,108 times
I see tons of pets come for grooming that have bad reactions to the over the counter (Bio-spot and Hartz in particular) flea products. There are bad rashes, hair loss, sores, etc. I am appalled at the pet parents doing this to their pets! If the package says to wash YOUR hands after touching it and not to get it on your skin, then what are you doing to your pet?
I used Bio-spot before I knew better. My dogs did ok with it but my cats had reactions- like stated earlier- running around like if they were a bucking bronco! Those products can cause permanent nuerological damage and even death. Who knows what the long term effects may be if they show no reaction now? You may think they are fine with it because you see no immediate reaction but it worries me. If I wouldn't put it on me, then I won't put it on my pet.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:45 PM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
There's Frontline and there's Frontline Plus --- the latter deals with all 4 life cycles of fleas rather than just the biting adults. Although I paid through the nose for it at Petco, urgency ruled the day and I didn't want to order it online and have to wait for the shipment.

For the past week, on a daily basis, I've been laundering everything not nailed down (throw rugs, pet bedding, etc.) and vacuuming the floors and carpets. I have a chopped up flea collar in my vac bag, and I spray the trash can that has the dryer lint with a flea-kill spray.

I treated my dog and three cats with Frontline Plus two days ago, and as of today, at least on the dog, I haven't seen a critter scurrying around.

I'm not a fan of chemicals for anything, but in this case of fleas, I did use them and I'm glad I did.
I usually order Frontline through PetMeds.com. The prices are OK and it comes in the mail within a few days. They always give you extra stuff, like a bottle of dog shampoo or a bag of catnip. I don't use it during the winter months, usually just April through October, depending on when the freezing weather stops.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:09 AM

755 posts, read 2,333,098 times
Hmm...I'll have to definitely look into the Frontline Plus....and keep "RAIDING" the house until they're all gone....

Hopefully once they're gone, they'll stay gone.... :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania