Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:48 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times

Advertisements

Ok, so it did not happen in the Hideout. The offense could have been perpretrated by someone that lives in the community, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 10:08 AM

422 posts, read 2,005,076 times
HighHat What are you driving at. I was just pointing out that a major crime was committed in a gated community--a community that has its own security--that people pay extra to have --as well as gates so that "bad people" can't get in.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:31 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
HighHat needs to read the original post. The Hideout was never mentioned. There are many gated communities throughout the Northeast Pa. region.

Its a shame, with all the info you have to give to sell or buy a house, no one asks you if you are a rapist or an ax murderer or drug dealer.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:57 AM

I apologize to the Professor of Nothing, I misread one of the posts and thought it had something to do with the Hideout.

Interesting perpsective Prof., you really do not know who your neighbor is! We have had our share of problems where I live and it is all the City people, bringing their problems here!

Old 11-17-2007, 01:13 PM

Molly, I was just asking that it is possible that the person who committed this terrible crime was someone inside the community. I don't know. Of course, if the person came from outside the community that would be terrible as that is what the gates are supposed to prevent!

Old 11-17-2007, 02:35 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,076 times
who is the professor?

I'm Giligan

Old 11-17-2007, 02:50 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMe View Post
who is the professor?

I'm Giligan
Molly your off topic, and Yac is gonna show up....( sound familiar)...
Ohhhh weeee.......I found your RED.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:58 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Interesting perpsective Prof., you really do not know who your neighbor is! We have had our share of problems where I live and it is all the City people, bringing their problems here!
Unfortunately, it is thinking like this that seems to keep the walls 'up' between the locals and the transplants. Our area continues to struggle with this problem. There are good and bad in every kind from every place. The locals here are so quick to point the finger when someone from The Hideout is arrested or there is a problem here that appears on the front page, but when it happens in one of the surrounding areas, no one likes to talk about it. You don't know who your neighbor is anywhere...we all read the papers...the preachers wife who drowns her 5 kids in the bathtub, the father of 3 who rapes a young neighborhood girl...they are not all from the 'city.'

Oh, and no apology needed, MollyMe was asking what you are driving at and I saw that you somhow got the impression it was The Hideout, or outside of The Hideout but commited by someone with in the community. I knew if you read the first post it would clear that up.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:43 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
It's sad to know that this happened in Tunkhannock. We drove up there once and really liked the area. I remember remarking to my wife as we stepped out of the car to shop that everyone had their windows down in their cars unattended. I wonder if people will leave their cars unlocked after this. As I have said in other posts, crime is everywhere and we all just need to lobby our government to keep adding police when possible. To hear about an area that I thought was a Utopia is a stark reminder, keep alert anywhere anymore.
You're thinking of the wrong Tunkhannock, my dear friend. Tunkhannock in Wyoming County (the one you took Route 309 and then Route 29 through the Back Mountain to get to from Wilkes-Barre) is still one of those friendly, Mayberry-like towns. This Tunkhannock is in Monroe County. You'd get to it by taking Route 115 south out of the city and then I think Route 940. This Tunkhannock is more suburban in nature and has experienced a rise in crime uniform with the rising crime in the Poconos in relation to the high population growth.

Oddly enough the Pocono communities are only about 20 minutes to the south of Wilkes-Barre via Route 115. It won't be long until some people consider moving closer to the Diamond City to start investing in its rebirth (they've already begun moving to places like Laurel Brook Estates in Bear Creek Township).

Old 11-17-2007, 07:50 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,896,647 times
Oh, OK thanks Paul, I'm happy to hear that my impression of a beautiful town doesn't have to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania