Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 08:05 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

[quote=Rain Showers;2070961]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Showers View Post
Some one please advise a beautful 29 yr old mom looking to better life.I wanna know how it is in Scanton far as scholls. also jobs in medical feild.3kids to take care of looking to rent a home within 2to3months need to do better for me and mine.Want to know the house rental basic rate for four bed room two bathroom house.I am hard working and tired of paying more for less and the crime level where I am from is not good at all.Need a new start assistance on the first start
Comparing Scranton to Newark is like comparing Utopia to Baghdad! You'll most certainly find a better environment for your children in Scranton than you would in Newark, NJ. The only thing Scranton lags behind Newark in is in terms of salary ranges, as the higher cost-of-living in Northern New Jersey has caused salaries there to mushroom over the years while Scranton's cost-of-living is rising at a much slower pace.

When you say "Scranton," would you be interested in the city proper or its suburbs? Both have their benefits and drawbacks. For example, often times lot sizes will be larger in the suburbs, but the negative will be that you'll have to hop in the car and drive much more to get places (hence higher gasoline expenditures). Scranton's sole drawback, in my opinion, is its 3.4% wage tax that is much higher than the 1.0% that many neighboring communities have. This can be counterbalanced somewhat with housing prices in the city which tend to be lower than they are in the suburbs, as well as property taxes which are in-line with the surrounding communities, along with the savings in gas prices.

Opportunities in the medical field are HOT around here right now, especially for RNs, CNAs, LPNs, home health-care aides, and other nursing professionals. The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area has the second-highest concentration of senior citizens in the nation, and as the very large population of Baby Boomers here also age, we're slowly yet surely becoming a cold weather retirement area. Pretty much any position I can think of in the medical industry around here is booming, perhaps except for the pharmaceutical industry, which is only represented locally by Sanofi-Pasteur Pharmaceuticals and Caremark, to my knowledge.

I can only relate "second-hand" knowledge of the schools in the Scranton School District to you, but from what I've heard from several on this forum and from several acquaintances with children in the district they are above-average for inner-city schools. Some of the suburban school districts, such as Abington Heights, continue to score well above state averages on just about everything, but in that particular case you're talking about a lot of children of attorneys, physicians, professors, engineers, scientists, and other well-heeled professionals, all of whom, by nature, enforce strict study habits upon their children and pay for tutors and study aids that some children in the cities don't get due to prevailing socioeconomic conditions. This is why I give local school rankings no credence whatsoever. Naturally the top districts in the area are in the upper-middle-class suburban areas (Abington Heights, Crestwood, Dallas, North Pocono, and I believe either Lake-Lehman or Valley View is fifth). If you look at PA as a whole, you'll see that standardized tests are unfairly skewed to favor upper-middle-class white kids from the 'burbs, which is why I advocate AGAINST basing your decision for a school upon average PSSA scores, SAT scores, etc., as I feel as if a child who WANTS to learn can succeed in ANY local school district. Just look at ConorsDad and myself as examples. He graduated from Valley View, and I graduated from Pittston Area, two schools which we believe lacked in many areas. Nevertheless, we both seemed to turn out okay---he's raising a wonderful family, and I'm in pursuit of my Master's Degree. Often times your child can succeed in life DESPITE negative environmental influences.

Sorry to get a bit off-track there, but I'm tired of everyone pioneering the schools where every child gets dropped off in a Jaguar every morning as being "better" than our local city schools where kids get dropped of in a Taurus or Jetta when it has been known for YEARS that higher-performing schools have students who come from wealthier backgrounds. That's NO reason to write-off a community.

As far as house rentals are concerned, you might want to check out CraigsList. As far as real estate agencies are concerned, different agencies are dominating different local markets. For example, Atlas Realty and Reed Real Estate co-dominate the Greater Pittston housing market. A lot of listings in The Abingtons are with ERA One Source Realty. Scranton's market share has been getting handed over to Semian & Gress as of late. The Back Mountain area has a lot of listings for both Lewith & Freeman and Century 21. Once we narrow down what particular area you might like, we can then recommend a realtor you might want to work with if you can't find a good listing on CraigsList or through the classified ads.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:36 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
And just when you thought it couldn't get any funnier!
I'm just bumping you ,I Love Pa.......Ok.......then you can read and answer the last few......your funnier is in the works

Old 11-24-2007, 09:53 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I'm just bumping you ,I Love Pa.......Ok.......then you can read and answer the last few......your funnier is in the works
I'm sorry...I am truly at a loss for words.
Thank goodness for Paul, he came to the rescue!

Old 11-24-2007, 11:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivieLuv View Post
I don't mean to sound rude, but why would any single, 32 year old from Atlanta want to move to Scranton? Especially sight unseen?

Rummy, you really need to come visit Scranton before you move because it has come a long way as of late but it still is not a place that one would recommend relocating to unless you absolutely have to.
Yeah, I read through this whole thread, and I'm suspicious, too. OK, I'll take Yac's word that rumandcoke isn't our bud SWB, but this is weird! Why would you relocate a business to a smallish city sight unseen? I haven't been to Scranton in ages, have no particular bias against it, but this sounds nuts! (Though people have posted over on Pittsburgh about doing the same thing.) Why would you relocate a successful business? I am assuming it is successful b/c she can afford a $1mil house!

Old 11-25-2007, 12:02 PM

910 posts, read 2,991,538 times
Seriously I cant believe I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading all 10 pages of this thread. This person is a joke, you have a million to spend and you come here? Nothing against our lovely nepa, but c'mon you can go anywhere up and down the coast where the seasons are just as pronounced. What a load y'all...

Old 11-25-2007, 12:25 PM

5 posts, read 16,474 times
rumandcoke -
We live in Florida (Panhandle), we too are looking to relocate to Pennsylvania. Leaving all our friends and family behind. I've lived here in the same town for 16 years. We want to move because of my husband's occupation he can make more money in the North then down here in the South. So, if you do move to Pennsylvania please let us know how ya like it there. I just wanna be happy really. I know all about the the whole illegal aliens taking over and lack of water. It's the same way over here. At least you're closer to a big city with more things to do. We live in a smaller city with no sports parks, no concert halls, 1 mall, etc. Basically, there ain't a damn thang to do around here. I want my daughter to have more experiances while she grows up. I want her to have more opportunities. Just let me know if you are happy with your move - if you do go through with it.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:37 PM
mgb

97 posts, read 260,676 times
[quote=ckelly617;2083363]rumandcoke -
We live in Florida (Panhandle), we too are looking to relocate to Pennsylvania.

What city are you from? We have a friend in Santa Rosa Beach. We've visited there many times and it's beautiful, but quiet. We have flirted with the idea of moving there someday but not too sure if we can handle the culture shock--not that one place is better than the other, just different, weather-wise and family far away.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:46 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
.... Why would you relocate a business to a smallish city sight unseen? I haven't been to Scranton in ages, have no particular bias against it, but this sounds nuts! (Though people have posted over on Pittsburgh about doing the same thing.) ...
LOL - just read the North Carolina: Charlotte posts especially!
Anyway, just waaay too much sugah! Be sweet!

Old 11-26-2007, 05:10 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
We're all gonna get in trouble again! YAC closed the other thread, this one is next! Then what will we do for fun??

Old 11-26-2007, 05:35 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Hey, Summering, is our Southern Belle on a Registry??? This is got to be the best Housewarming Party available in a long time.....what a thread......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania