Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 6,724 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

My husband has been transferred from Dallas to NY. We are in the process of trying to find a quality neighborhood, with quality schools at an affordable price. We have looked in NY in the Goshen/Monroe area, and into Vernon NJ and now are looking into Milford.

Any advice anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance,
Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 03:10 PM

910 posts, read 2,992,378 times
There are a few really nice upper crust subdivisions in Milford. At one point we were looking to move that way and we liked Hickory Hills and were very interested in Oak Ridge Crossing. Good luck and welcome!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:34 PM

Thank you so much for the information, and thank you.

We are looking forward to the move.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:45 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times
AmandaDe,

Boy can I give you an education now that I have been up here for 5 years. Are you looking to build? It is an area that is very much in demand. My house is 5 miles from Milford and is up for sale. We are moving soley for economic reasons to be closer to Lake Wallenpaupack. We spend quite a bit of time on the Lake in the summer and want to be close to the Mariana. I also need to be closer to the University of Scranton. Many folks here move from relocations and job transfers. If you need anything specifically please pm me, including a decent real estate agent. Check out my thread of underhanded realtors - I started it and many folks here that contributed it - taught me some tips.

Good luck on your move.

The Hat

Old 11-19-2007, 05:29 PM

755 posts, read 2,333,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaDe View Post
Greetings,

My husband has been transferred from Dallas to NY. We are in the process of trying to find a quality neighborhood, with quality schools at an affordable price. We have looked in NY in the Goshen/Monroe area, and into Vernon NJ and now are looking into Milford.

Any advice anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance,
Amanda
Amanda-
Hi...I can kill two birds (figuratively speaking, of course!) with one stone for you. We just moved to NE PA from Vernon, NJ. We loved Vernon. We spent almost 10 years there, had both of our kids when we lived there. We miss it quite a bit because of all of the people we met when hubby joined the fire dept and ambulance squad. They were all part of our extended family.

BUT we would never get in NJ what we have here. We are just north of Milford and we have a beautiful log home on 4 acres AND the price was reasonable. We could never afford anything like this out there as much as we wanted to stay there. Vernon has a lot of goods and bads as with any town. There are a lot of lake communities there. We were in Highland Lakes. If you still look over there, you have to watch the lake dues and initiation fees. I know Highland Lakes is almost $1000 a year in dues and $2000 initiation (which I think is absolutely insane!!!) and that's even if you have any kind of title change...they hit you up for $2k or they will put a lien on your property. The lakes are very well maintained there, I have to give them that much compared to other lake communities.

Anyway, enough of my incessant babbling...out here is a bit more rural than where we were but we have a much larger house with more property. This area is clean, safe, within 20-25 mins from all shopping. A little far but not TOO far. You definitely get a lot more for your money in NE PA than NJ or even NY.

Good luck with your search.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Thank You

Thank You all for the wonderful, and very helpful information.

We have looked in those areas (Highland Lakes) and it's nice but pricy.

I will keep you posted on our progress.

Thank you again,
Amanda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania