U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Is it a twin or double block?
Twin 5 38.46%
Double block 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2007, 03:17 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,893,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
I am from Long Island, we never had anything like these types of homes. My hubby being a Scrantonian has always referred to them as "doubles".
All the houses on Long Island are singles?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 03:23 PM

17 posts, read 52,027 times
I have a friend who lives in a "twin" in Mineola, Nassau County on Long Island. Been there many of times, so yes, they sure do have them on Long Island.

I think she referred to it as a multi-family????

Old 11-28-2007, 03:29 PM

13,315 posts, read 13,540,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMilford View Post
Duplex. Or two family. Never heard of those other two.

But I'm not "from" this area, so...
The same...........I call them mostly Duplex
Or Two-family
Never heard of the other two either.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:33 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,893,040 times
Since we are on the topic of houses. What is it with the barn like roof that dominates so many of the homes in Wilkes-Barre? I can't find a pic, but if SWB comes around I'm sure he can.
I just find it odd to have a house in the middle of a city that is trying to look like a barn, but isn't really pulling off the barn look.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,904,871 times
i used to know it as "half a double"----here in sw fla --it would be called a townhome---

Old 11-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Status: "It's cold up in those mountains yander! Yup!" (set 10 days ago)

2,598 posts, read 1,561,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivieLuv View Post
I have a friend who lives in a "twin" in Mineola, Nassau County on Long Island. Been there many of times, so yes, they sure do have them on Long Island.

I think she referred to it as a multi-family????
I am from Suffolk...don't have them. Sorry for speaking for the whole Island.

Mineola is pretty densely populated seems like a contiuation of Queens to me.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:58 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,215,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Since we are on the topic of houses. What is it with the barn like roof that dominates so many of the homes in Wilkes-Barre? I can't find a pic, but if SWB comes around I'm sure he can.
I just find it odd to have a house in the middle of a city that is trying to look like a barn, but isn't really pulling off the barn look.
LVN, You might be thinking of a gambrel roof. They are often used on Dutch Colonial homes. Try Googlin' "gambrel roof" and see if that looks like what you are talking about.

If this is the style you are thinking of, they probably were built to create more room/storage on the top floor.

Last edited by rockky; 11-29-2007 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: added thought

Old 11-29-2007, 12:41 PM

128 posts, read 370,358 times
i only heard about Duplex. Twin term was used a lot in Europe but never heard anybody use that term in US

Old 11-29-2007, 01:26 PM

2,938 posts, read 958,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
I've always wondered the same thing. I've found Wilkes-Barre to be the capital of "barn houses" as I call them. Scranton has them around here and there, but they seem to be the predominant type of house in Wilkes-Barre. I think it must have depended on the builder who was building a majority of houses at the time they were built, and the main home builders in the early 20th century in Wilkes-Barre must have liked barns or grew up on a farm or something.

Personally, I don't care for the "barn" look on houses, myself.

Here's one:

Old 11-29-2007, 03:19 PM

26,219 posts, read 45,899,992 times
Rockyy was correct. These homes feature "gambrel" style rooves, and they are most prevalent on barns. However, they're not all as bad as ConorsDad pointed out. Here are a few less dilapidated ones from Wilkes-Barre that I featured in some of my photo tours:

Granted Scranton still has the advantage over Wilkes-Barre, in my opinion, in terms of residential architectural aesthetics, but not everyone who lives in a "barn home" in Wilkes-Barre has permitted them to fall into disrepair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania