Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it a twin or double block?
Twin 5 38.46%
Double block 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:59 AM

102 posts, read 325,988 times

Advertisements

I live in one here in Glenolden, PA. We call them twins!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 03:59 AM

201 posts, read 538,982 times
I mostly hear everyone in th W-B area call them double blocks.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:49 AM

26 posts, read 79,982 times
You say your wife is from this area and that is why she calls them a double block. I have also heard them called "half-doubles". you did not say where you are from. Where I come from (suburban Philadelphia) they would be known as "twins". Duplexes back in Philly are generally and upstairs/downstairs separation and not side by side. Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I call them "duplexes."

Old 11-28-2007, 05:31 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,894 times
Well, here's a new one for ya.

We called the semi-detached in York County. It is often shortened to just "semi".

Old 11-28-2007, 08:52 AM

4 posts, read 8,388 times
Default It's a double (but no block)

Formally, I've always known them as a duplex.

Informally, I've always been familiar with them being referred to as a "double" You can either have an "up and down double" or a "side by side double".

Just for fun, upon first living together my wife and I got into a ferocious argument that still occasionally resurfaces about (drumroll, please): How to open the ice cream.

Do you open it from the end, or the top?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:50 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
I am from Long Island, we never had anything like these types of homes. My hubby being a Scrantonian has always referred to them as "doubles".

Old 11-28-2007, 09:53 AM

15 posts, read 45,018 times
My husband and I are both from Suburban Philadelphia and just like pocono pal know that as "twins" and Duplexes as upstairs/downstairs separation and not side by side.

As for the ice cream, you open from the top. Though we've never really discussed it, we both do it that way.

Another fun first move in together argument was... are you ready for it... which way does the toilet paper have to go on the roll??? Does it release from over the top or under the bottom?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:54 AM

201 posts, read 538,982 times
That is so funny. My husband argues about the TP all the time. I like it over the top and he likes it from under. He even made a drawing up to hang in the bathroom with 2 rolls of TP, one under, one over and labeled them his and hers. I got tired of him changing it on my that I just put it under anymore. It actually works out good because when the cat reaches up and plays with the roll, it does not come off because to paper is going the opposite way. Of course if they just grabbed the paper and ran, that would be different.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:54 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
Down here in the Slate Belt, they are "half doubles"

Old 11-28-2007, 03:15 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scranton_Guy View Post
Formally, I've always known them as a duplex.

Informally, I've always been familiar with them being referred to as a "double" You can either have an "up and down double" or a "side by side double".

Just for fun, upon first living together my wife and I got into a ferocious argument that still occasionally resurfaces about (drumroll, please): How to open the ice cream.

Do you open it from the end, or the top?
Hmmm, the ice cream we get you can only open it from the top, unless I cut a hole in the side..................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania