Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:17 PM

452 posts, read 682,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB-Bound View Post

a landlord called me back about an in-city opportunity that appears quite promising.
Yeah....I got beach front property in Vegas. You interested??? LOL Wake up man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 08:40 PM

20 posts, read 46,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
Yeah....I got beach front property in Vegas. You interested??? LOL Wake up man.
I'll be living here for a limited period of time (12-18 months) in order to take a position that will be extremely beneficial to my long-term career, man (you'd probably be "pleased" to know that I wouldn't move to the Wyoming Valley under any other circumstance). Obviously, "promising" is a relative term, and in this context, it means a spacious, reasonably priced, sufficiently up-to-date apartment in a part of town where I don't have to drive to everything. Apartment rentals here are surprisingly high (due to what appears to be a very constrained supply; I know demand is rather low), and the prospect of getting a decent one-bedroom with utilities for under $1,000 is pretty exciting, as I'd like to take advantage of the region's overall lower COL and save a bit before I (most likely) return to my high(ish)-COL home city.

Do I think Wilkes-Barre is a riveting world-class city that's going to rocks my socks off? Not in the slightest. However, I'm the kind of person who strives to make the best of his situation, and in addition to finding fulfillment in my work, I plan on joining several affinity/hobby groups, as well as taking the opportunity to meet all kinds of people I wouldn't otherwise come into contact. As someone who's only lived within (or immediately outside) big cities, living in the core of a smaller urban area will be an interesting experience for me. Even though I probably won't love it, experiencing life from a different perspective will no doubt be enriching. I can always find at least a little bit of beauty everywhere I go.

I'm not an unbridled optimist by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I'm firmly in the cynical-realist camp. I am not, however, a nattering nabob of negativity (thanks Tricky Dick!), especially the type who incessantly badmouths an entire region in what appears to be a sad attempt to boost his own lousy self-esteem. For your own sake, I hope you've long since packed up and moved elsewhere.

Last edited by WB-Bound; 06-09-2014 at 08:51 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 11:24 AM

109 posts, read 162,968 times
WB-Bound, with your attitude I think you'll enjoy the area for the little bit of time you'll be here. Good luck with everything!

Old 06-10-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoscape View Post
WB-Bound, with your attitude I think you'll enjoy the area for the little bit of time you'll be here. Good luck with everything!
I'm definitely going to enjoy some aspects of the area, and thank you for the well wishes!

Old 06-10-2014, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 11,863 times
Have you checked out Wilkeswood Apartments? Everything is included except phone, electric, cable/internet. Heat is included. Rent starts at $702 for a 1 bedroom. I have been living here for a little over 2 years and satisfied. It's quiet, maintenance is quick to respond.

Wilkeswood Apartments - Wilkeswood - Wilkes Barre - PA

Forgot to add, it is right off Mundy Street, turn @ Longhorn Steakhouse @ the light, complex is right across from the VA hospital. It is close to all the shopping centers, etc.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boyz2 View Post
Have you checked out Wilkeswood Apartments? Everything is included except phone, electric, cable/internet. Heat is included. Rent starts at $702 for a 1 bedroom. I have been living here for a little over 2 years and satisfied. It's quiet, maintenance is quick to respond.

Wilkeswood Apartments - Wilkeswood - Wilkes Barre - PA

Forgot to add, it is right off Mundy Street, turn @ Longhorn Steakhouse @ the light, complex is right across from the VA hospital. It is close to all the shopping centers, etc.
Thanks for the suggestion, but the immediately surrounding area is a bit too autocentric/post-war suburban for my liking.

I'm seeing the place by Wilkes U tomorrow, so hopefully it will pan out.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:19 PM

I'm pleased to report that the Wilkes U property was very nice, and after I mull things over with the gf and confirm that the landlord and I are on the same page, I think I'll be signing a lease.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:58 PM

I just wanted to let you all know that I signed a lease on the city property. Thanks for all your help and support!

Old 07-09-2014, 07:05 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
I just wanted to let you all know that I signed a lease on the city property. Thanks for all your help and support!
Good for you and welcome to the area. I hope you find that it isn't as bad as some would have you believe. No, it isn't Shangri La on the Susquehanna, but there are some interesting places to see and some history to learn if one is interested in such.

I like your attitude, your optimism. Success in your endeavor, locally and when you move on.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:13 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Quote:
We've been following your apartment quest since last January and I for one am happy that you've finally settled on a place. Perhaps you can share with us why you chose this particular apartment and what amenities it offered? For instance, does it have a garage or covered parking, which was one of your top priorities? Is it in a dedicated apartment building or in a converted older house? Does it have the following: washer/dryer or hookups; central air conditioning; hardwood floors; dishwasher; window treatments; adequate electrical, cable and telephone outlets; soundproofing? What utilities are included and does the landlord supply heat and hot water? If the latter is not included, it could cost you a bundle especially in an older building with poor insulation.

Good luck with your sojourn in NEPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania