U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 PM

13,207 posts, read 10,607,078 times

Advertisements

After the previous snow storm and today's; we have about a foot of heavy snow on our roof. That really isn't too bad. But the snow over the unheated eves can cause ice dams and eventually cause water leaks in your ceiling. The ten day forecast is for temperatures below freezing - so the snow will not be going away anytime soon.

It is dangerous to climb on your frozen roof. But there is one product that really works. Here is a link to one of them: True Temper 17 ft. Snow Roof Rake-1634500 at The Home Depot.

We have been using the roof rake for several years. You don't have to clean every snowflake off your roof. You want to just pull off the snow over the unheated eves (about two to four feet of snow). It is easier to pull the snow off than to shovel it off. I also clear the snow off our outdoors plastic sheds to avoid a roof collapse.

They do make a roof snow deicing kit: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8kr25zuv9y_b. That works - but has to be installed during the warmer months. We don't have that system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 04:35 AM

15,588 posts, read 9,612,221 times
I have a tin roof and had those little prong-snow breaker things put in (on?) . Hoping that's good enough.

Reaching up like that hurts my back.. Shoveling doesn't.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I have a tin roof and had those little prong-snow breaker things put in (on?) . Hoping that's good enough.

Reaching up like that hurts my back.. Shoveling doesn't.
We're jealous! My wife always wanted a metal roof. I don't think you will have any problems.

We had problems in the past; even with the Weather Guard under expensive shingles - especially around the valleys on the roof. It is easier to pull the snow off than to shovel it off. Many people are not aware that there are tools available.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:53 AM

15,588 posts, read 9,612,221 times
or needed.
people just don't realize how much weight snow and/or ice can put on a roof.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:50 AM

3,680 posts, read 3,262,911 times
I have one, and this may be the first winter in quite a while that I've used it!

But be careful - I once used it to clear *some* of the snow off our slate roof and ended up with leaks due to ice damming!

Old 02-06-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I have one, and this may be the first winter in quite a while that I've used it!

But be careful - I once used it to clear *some* of the snow off our slate roof and ended up with leaks due to ice damming!
It takes me less than half an hour to go completely around our house and pull the snow off of our eves. We have a fairly large house. I would rather take the time and remove the snow before it turns into ice. Once you get the ice dams it is hard to get rid of them and probably is not easy on your roof.

With the snow, that our area has right now and the predicted cold temperatures, it is very possible that many will have problems.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:18 AM

I just wanted to toss in that our roof is only a few years old and has the best shingles and the Weather Guard under the shingles. I am still fighting against ice dams - even though I have removed a lot of snow off the roof. There are still tons of snow left on our roof.

To fight the ice dams we have a heat tape to prevent frozen pipes. I taped this 'tape'/wire fast to a length of copper pipe. I plugged it in and then I then laid it over the ice dams and let it melt a path for the water to escape. They don't recommend salt on your roof. I have seen some post that recommend filling old panty hose/stockings with calcium chloride and laying that over the ice dams - but I don't think you can find calcium chloride or salt today. I don't even know if you can find a shovel?

My feeling is that many are going to suffer from ice dams and water in their houses. We still have two more cold days; before we start the warm up. Even the warm up could be a problem; until our gutters and ice dams melt.

Anyway; good luck! I have a feeling that there will be many insurance claims before this is all over.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:15 AM

2,660 posts, read 2,826,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I just wanted to toss in that our roof is only a few years old and has the best shingles and the Weather Guard under the shingles. I am still fighting against ice dams - even though I have removed a lot of snow off the roof. There are still tons of snow left on our roof.

To fight the ice dams we have a heat tape to prevent frozen pipes. I taped this 'tape'/wire fast to a length of copper pipe. I plugged it in and then I then laid it over the ice dams and let it melt a path for the water to escape. They don't recommend salt on your roof. I have seen some post that recommend filling old panty hose/stockings with calcium chloride and laying that over the ice dams - but I don't think you can find calcium chloride or salt today. I don't even know if you can find a shovel?

My feeling is that many are going to suffer from ice dams and water in their houses. We still have two more cold days; before we start the warm up. Even the warm up could be a problem; until our gutters and ice dams melt.

Anyway; good luck! I have a feeling that there will be many insurance claims before this is all over.
Fish... are there particular types that are more or less prone to problems, such as flat/steeper or roofs with valleys?

Old 02-16-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Fish... are there particular types that are more or less prone to problems, such as flat/steeper or roofs with valleys?
My feeling is that steep roofs and metal roofs have fewer problems. You also have fewer problems if you have great attic insulation. Most of our roofs are a 5/12 pitch (for every 12 feet of roof; the roof rises 5 feet). Most of these have standard asphalt shingles and possibly a Weather Guard material around the edges and in the valleys.

Many of the older flat roofs do not have the newest rubberized roofing materials. Any hole or crack will lead to a downpour inside the dwelling.

Everybody has to worry about a collapse. We have many tons of snow on our roofs presently. Most of us will not have any problems. But it only takes one weak spot - one rafter that has knots in the wrong place or wasn't secured correctly. You don't have to search too hard to find one of these disasters: Roof collapses due to accumulated snow, ice are one more winter worry in New Jersey | NJ.com.

Fortunately we have only about two more days of cold temperatures and then we start the melt. The first day of the melt might even be worse than the freeze and snow? Hopefully everybody will weather through these problems and come out unscathed.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 AM

3,680 posts, read 3,262,911 times
Been getting a great upper body workout the last few days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania