U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,570 times

Advertisements

I'm a graduate nurse headed to an interview with Geisinger next week. I have two kids in school 14 and 5.

My husband has family in Exeter and Forty-Fort, and I'm trying to get good information about the area. Our family raves about the area, the schools but they are born/raised in the area and not exactly impartial.

My husband and I currently live about 1.5 hours outside of D.C in Front Royal, Virginia. Single family homes here start about 120,000. My husband owns his own business and may occasionally make the trip back to VA to work for the first year. Schools are fairly safe but not overly achieving. Problem is there are only one or two private schools to chose from...and they run very expensive for the area. We are Catholic so private schools could be an option.

Input about Exeter? Wyoming Area Schools? Geisinger Hospital?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 06:13 PM

452 posts, read 561,170 times
First off, Welcome!!!
The only thing I have knowledge of is Geisinger. Probably the pick of the litter as far as health care goes, but most people feel for better care, they say head to Leigh Valley. I never worked there, but from what I've read, just about every nurse/healthcare worker in the area seems to be on strike or just plain miserable. Wilkes-Barre General is a fine example of this. Now, let's look at the big picture. How were you recruited by Geisinger? It's no secret that this area can't keep educated young professionals from running out of NEPA. That is one red flag.....Also, seems you want another opinion than your in-laws. Of course they will rave about the area, they want their son to be closer. Can't blame them for that. But truth is, the area is a depressed, dying coal mining region. Lousy climate, rising crime rate, gangs, drugs and just check the murder rate in Wilkes Barre last year. Take a moment and look up "The Great White Ghetto" in the Urban dictionary.
That's a start...get back to me.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:43 PM

3,673 posts, read 3,253,057 times
My wife's brother and his wife live out near Danville, and she is a nurse at Geisinger (he is a retired state prison guard). They love it out there. Danville is a nice little town and the area just out of town is still pretty rural.

Geisinger has a great reputation and is widely regarded as the best hospital in the area. We went out there twice; to have a non-involuted hemoangeoma lasered on our elder son and for a sonogram on our younger son. Very positive experience both times.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:56 AM

56 posts, read 78,674 times
My2mz1, I can't give you any personal recommendations since I haven't lived in NEPA for around 40 years (we moved from Wyoming to Maryland for my dad's job when I was in elementary school), but you should know that regardless of the topic, Cpt.Trips will have something bad to say about the area. When it comes to his advice, you get what you pay for on this free website.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:48 AM

37,071 posts, read 38,273,370 times
Exeter is nice, the homes are close and typically smaller(that's common in many communities) but still a nice place. You can also check out neighboring West Pittston which is also a real nice town to live in, they have more option for larger homes and bigger lots. Both have minimal crime. Exeter township offers a more rural area, lots are acres...

Wyoming Area is average to above average school. There isn't anything good to say about it but there isn't anything bad to say about it either.

If you go the Catholic School route there is a K-8 Catholic school in Exeter. I beleive the only HS is about 30 minute bus ride to Wilkes-Barre.

Wyoming Area Catholic School

Old 02-09-2014, 04:33 AM

13,134 posts, read 10,568,819 times
My parents moved me here from VA 67 years ago - when I was only a few months old. I have never had any problems and love the areas - that does not mean that I agree with everything.

If you move; one bad neighbor can give you a bad experience - no matter where you move to. Do your homework and visit the area before you buy.

The main Geisinger hospital is in Danville. But Geisinger has locations all over. It is a well known Northeastern health provider. Their main hospital did a great job patching up my eye after a little run-in with a fish hook. We currently have the Geisinger "Gold" supplemental insurance to Medicare. We also use our Mt. Pocono Geisinger facility for GP services.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:34 AM

37,071 posts, read 38,273,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Their main hospital did a great job patching up my eye after a little run-in with a fish hook.

Uh-huh, fisheye. I saw my cousin get hooked good once, caught a little blugill and the thing started flapping like mad and the hook went through his thumb. He grabs the fish with his other hand all you here is crunch! LOL. Ended up having to push it through.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:59 AM

15,561 posts, read 9,588,275 times
When you come for your interview, wear your longjohns.

I hope you plan to stay and look around a bit before/after the interview. If you get a tour of the hospital, kind of keep an eye on the employees-their attitude, how busy they are, just the vibes they send.

Also look around the town. Buy a newspaper and look at the ads and the articles. Check out the stores, the libraries, even the schools.
Explore.

Then decide.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:10 AM

1,693 posts, read 3,106,377 times
First off don't listen to Cpt. Trips. He comes into every thread like this and trolls, just put him on ignore and you'll be better off. Geisinger is my favorite hospital in the area, the facility is up to date and appears well taken care of. When I need to go for something I always go there. You didn't specify but you are likely applying for something in the largest facility they have which is right off of 115 in Bear Creek. There are some wonderful sections in the area just North of the Hospital but the houses are expensive. Another good option right near there is Bear Creek Township, you will find some nice houses there for relatively good prices.

Here is a comparison listing in the surrounding area in your price range but you may need more space if you have a four person household.

250 Swanson Road, Bear Creek Township PA - Trulia

Here is an idea of what you will find North of the Hospital

16 Powder Mill Rd, Pittston, PA 18640 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Exeter has a nice quaint feel to it but it landlocked by the river to the west and the highways and other congestion to the east. Getting in and out of there during rush hour is a mess but if you like the houses there and have family there then it may be worth it. You will certainly find a nice big house in Exeter for $120,000. Just bear in mind that houses in the valley are mostly skinny rowhome types close to each other with little yard and close to the street.

This a is general idea of the kind of houses you will find in Exeter

145 Valley St, Exeter, PA 18643 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

I'm not sure about schools, maybe some others here can help you with that.

Well, good luck with your job interview and if you have any more questions, have at it.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:28 AM

452 posts, read 561,170 times
All you cheerleaders here fail to mention Scranton is broke, Wilkes-Barre is a crime ridden mess, Hazleton is a lost cause, taxes are going up in leaps and bounds, the food is lousy, the demographic shift is driving property values into the toilet and it keeps spreading. I'm the ONLY one who ever gives the people who come here a wake up call as to what a dump the area really is. And I intend to continue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania