U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:49 PM

129 posts, read 239,559 times

Advertisements

Just a suggestion; think about the big savings. For example, housing and where you can get the most for your money when purchasing. I can help you in that area. Taxes; Pike County is a low tax area. Delaware Valley SD is good but the taxes are higher. There is a bus station off of rte 84 at Lords Valley for daily commute to NYC. People do it all the time but it is time consuming. Some people stay in NY with relatives or someone to avoid going back and forth daily. Food shopping; learn where the reasonably priced stores and go there every other week to shop since you will most likely travel more once you live in NEPA. From Lords Valley we would go to Shoprite or Price Chopper in the Matamoras area. Or get the sale priced items at Weiss's right outside the entrance. Gas; 10 cents a gallon at one place over another; you are saving maybe $2 to 3 dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 11:13 PM

104 posts, read 141,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueinterceptor View Post

Food is 2/3 rds the cost of NYC. Gas is .30 cents cheaper. Sales tax is 6% not 8.75%. Car insurance is 1/2 of NYC. Crime is practically non existent compared to NYC.
Having moved to Pike County from Brooklyn recently, I can vouch for this 100%.

It's not just food that's two thirds the cost--everything in the stores is cheaper (cleaning supplies, toiletries, household goods, garden supplies, etc.) It really adds up over time.

We also pay 1/3 the cost for individual healthcare premiums here.

As far as gas--we have always bought in Jersey (and continue to do so) because it's cheaper than either Brooklyn/Manhattan/Queens or PA.

I don't think any of this is really groundbreaking news or even a tribute to NEPA--it's more of a slam on the city. Pretty much everywhere in the country is cheaper than NYC. Anytime you have the chance to buy something somewhere else, you're going to save money.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:08 PM

191 posts, read 250,252 times
Commuting points made are right on.I live in stroudsburg right next to 80 and work in morris county nj right off 80.I leave at 6 to get to work at 7. Traffic in nj on 80 starts going home at 5pm till probably 7.Morris county, starting in ledgewood area, to nyc is gonna be a 2hr commute plus depending on time you leave both ways.You could maybe drive to the train from delaware toll bridge and do it that way. The main train is in dover to go to nyc or in hackettstown, something to research.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:35 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,829,826 times
You don't move to an area for cheap homes. Particularly when it is going to add a horrific commute. You move because you like the area. What is it about PA - and living in the mountains - that you like aside from "cheap" real estate?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:59 PM

3,687 posts, read 3,273,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
You could maybe drive to the train from delaware toll bridge and do it that way. The main train is in dover to go to nyc or in hackettstown, something to research.
The train station you want is Mt. Arlington which is right off Exit 30 in I-80.

Dover is a bigger hub but it's further east, in town and not right off the highway.
Hackettstown is a little closer than Mt. Arlington but like Dover you have to drive into town to get to the station.

Be advised that A.M. sun glare delays start at exit 27 going east.

When planning a commute you have to know how long it takes to drive to the station from home, and how long it is from the destination station to your job.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:39 AM

40 posts, read 102,262 times
Red face Pocono Living

I don't know if you have made the move yet, but I would think twice about moving up here My husband and I moved up here full time from NJ in Aug 2013 and I hate it. It's too far from just about everything, the winters are a horror with black ice, worst cold I have ever experienced and isolation. I would suggest that you consider renting for at least 6 months before buying anything to see if it is for you. That being said, there are people up here that do love it, although I think they can afford to get away from here in the worst of the winter. Me, I am going to move back to NJ and I am putting my house here in PA on the market as we speak. Hope this helps!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:24 AM

752 posts, read 666,955 times
There is a municipal tax in Monroe County if you work in NYC.

I'm a dual resident of Queens County and Monroe County.

With my last employer I changed my address to my house in PA thinking that I wouldn't have to pay the additional city tax which was close to $350 a month

Then I got a notice in the mail from Monroe County stating that I have to pay a municipal income tax, and my employer starting deducting this municipal income tax from my paychecks, which was closer to $450 a month.

Factor that in with the exorbitant cost of the Martz commuter bus ($12,000 a year and going up) and I quickly came to realize that The Poconos is still nothing more than a weekend getaway destination for NYer's.

This area is so far behind the rest of PA in so many areas such available retail options, the quality of the roads, overall highway infrastructure etc, yet we pay the highest in property taxes.

I have no children and live here 8 days a month, yet I pay $7800 a year just for school taxes on a property that is valued at 90k.

Meanwhile all of my neighbors who are renters from the BX keep having more children and moving more out of state family members into their households.

Unless HB/SB 76 gets passed I am for sure putting my house on the market as soon as there is some sort of correction in property values in this area.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:33 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,834,643 times
$12,000 a year for Martz?? For two people, maybe. It's $550 a month, with parking. That's $6,600. Not cheap, by any means, but cheaper than driving. You say you're only here 8 days a month, so not sure what figure you were using; maybe the daily bus rate, which is much higher (no commuter discount)

The municipal income tax is 1 percent. If you are getting $450 deducted a month just for that, I'm in awe of your overall salary.

I am in complete agreement on the tax situation and the crumbling infrastructure, however.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:41 AM

91 posts, read 131,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda2008 View Post
Hello to All,

I am asking for some advice TRUTHFUL AND REAL LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCES THAT ACTUALLY HAPPEN . NO BROKERS ADVICE FOR FINANCIAL GAIN PLEASE . I CURRENTLY LIVE IN QUEENS WORK IN NYC MANHATTAN FOR A EXCELLENT HOSPITAL . I LOVE MY JOB AND I WOULD LOVE TO SAY THAT FOR QUEENS AREA WHERE I RESIDE. I RECENTLY VISITED THE POCONOS AND LOVED THE HOMES (WHERE THE DEVELOPERS CAN BUILD YOUR HOME FOR YOU). BUT SOMETHING SEEMS TO BE TO GOOD TO BE TRUE . EXCELLENT PRICE , GREAT COMMUTER LOCATION TO NYC AND BACK. I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE PROCESS ( THE REAL DEAL ) NO SMART BROKER TALK . IM SCARED THERE ARE HIDDEN COST AND FEES . I'M RESEARCHING AS BEST AS I KNOW HOW BUT IM STILL NOT GETTING ANSWERS. I DONT KNOW WHAT AREAS ARE GREAT, COMMUTERS COST, TAXES FOR SCHOOLS , I NEED HELP AND REAL ADVICE!!!!! PLEASE ... I WOULD LOVE TO MOVE TO THE POCONOS WITH MY FAMILY. UNABLE TO AFFORD A HOME IN NYC.. IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!

Poconos may be cheaper initially, but your heating costs, taxes will be relatively high, and don't expect the level of street maintenance you get in NYC. there will be many days you aren't going to make it in to work, and you will tire of the commute sooner or later. Even the most tough commuters get tired of driving from Pa. to NYC after about 5 years, it adds too much time to your day.

you'd be way better off quitting the job, finding another job in the suburbs, and then moving from NYC,

NEPA realtors prey on people like you, so they will put you in a home or condo at 3x the cost what a local person would pay. being used to NYC prices, you view it as a "bargain" when in reality, it's a hole, or has no privacy, or is on a noisy street, or has toxic gases i.e. radon, TCE under it, or black mold, or a noisy train nearby that makes it impossible to sleep at night, etc.

BEWARE.

you'll be paying $600/month for heat, and if it's oil heat, you'll be paying $1000/month. If it's an onsite well/septic, the water quality may be compromised, and those on site septics need regular pumping and service, or they back up. your driveway will be plowed in solid with 3 feet of snow from the township plow in the winter. unless you have a monster truck you ain't goin' nowhere.

there are now hoodlums and gangs in the NEPA public schools that will beat up on your kids. there is heroin, cocaine, LSD, pot, hash being used rampantly. a neighbor kid got beat up in the local high school by 5 kids, they gave him a concussion, stold his cell phone and wallet, this was IN THE HALL during class changes, and none of the teachers stopped it. The 5 kids were expelled but the victim was unconscious and spent 2 days in hospital.

be aware you are not moving to heaven here anymore- unless you can buy 5 acres in the country, and pay $5000/year per kid or more for private school.

the realtors here are vicious. they'll charge you top dollar for a house with black mold, TCE, radon, bad septic, bad roof, termites, and sell it "as is" and say "I don't know" to every question you ask. the builders will charge you 2x what your house is worth on the open market today, it's a losing investment.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:01 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,834,643 times
LOL, coalcracker, I'm not a fan of NEPA and would move to the Lehigh Valley if we could afford it, but even I'm not as bleak as you!

The oil heat for our 2400 sq ft house costs, on the budget plan, about $250 a month spread out of 10 months. The plows in our community do an excellent job, and I have to navigate two steep mountains to get to the NYC bus, and on the rare occasion when there's too much snow to make it in -- last winter was not easy, true -- I can work from home. We did our research and picked a great builder - it's not that difficult.

I am lucky in that I can afford the private school bill. But I know several kids who have managed to graduate unscathed from the public schools.

That said, I would be basing moving decisions based on school districts, not on how much house I could get. With that criterion guiding me, I would not move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania