Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:56 PM

755 posts, read 2,324,214 times

Advertisements

Hopefully someone from the Tafton area can jump in as far as bus/train info but from what I can see on the map, it is further west from Shohola. Maybe about 20-25 mins. Closer to Lake Wallenpaupack. I don't think there's much out that way in terms of NYC transportation. You would probably still have to hop on 84 into Port Jervis to catch the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 05:47 AM

16 posts, read 35,107 times
yea i saw that. also the house we saw online was real nice and good price until you add in the association fees so no thanks. milford or your hood is still the top pick as of now.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:47 AM

996 posts, read 3,263,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff18wife View Post
Hopefully someone from the Tafton area can jump in as far as bus/train info but from what I can see on the map, it is further west from Shohola. Maybe about 20-25 mins. Closer to Lake Wallenpaupack. I don't think there's much out that way in terms of NYC transportation. You would probably still have to hop on 84 into Port Jervis to catch the train.
There were busses that ran from John's Restaurant (Exit 20 off I-84) into NYC every morning and evening. You could probably call the restaurant to confirm that they are still running. This is a great comminity if you are looking for something rural and don't mind driving a bit to get to the larger shopping areas.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:58 AM

996 posts, read 3,263,525 times
Here's another schedule for a company that runs from Honesdale:

http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAsse...A_Schedule.pdf

Old 12-05-2007, 07:30 AM
jjj

168 posts, read 817,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
Here's another schedule for a company that runs from Honesdale:

http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAsse...A_Schedule.pdf
The above bus schedule will give you a good idea what you are facing traveling into NYC. Shohola is a nice area but from experience you are looking at a 3 hour commute to NYC not considering traffic jams.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:22 AM

the wife and i decided perhaps milford and taking the bus in the spring/summer and the train in the winter. i just have to get up early and catch the first one in. then sleepy time all the way to work. where i am now its usually an hour of sleep on the way home then i take a nap for another hour or so. so in relity ill be doing my same routine just getting home and making dinner instead of dropping on the chair.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:24 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,981,247 times
Thumbs up To: ScrantonWilkesBarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
ff18wife: Here I am!!!

RUBIES77: I suppose it all depends on what sort of miority you happen to be. I'm an openly-gay male that is relatively well-accepted and tolerated around here, but then again I am also a rather masculine-acting male of European descent, so most people still don't "know" about me. Those who do though were (and are) very understanding of my situation and try to do their best to not make me feel awkward or unwelcome.

I know that there have been issue as of late with African-Americans alleging that racial slurs were hurled at them by a police officer and specators during Wilkes-Barre's recent Christmas parade, but by and large I find most folks to be rather tolerant. If you happen to be a woman of African-American descent, I might suggest that you try to get in contact with Mr. Ronald Felton, a former co-worker of my father who has been the president of the local chapter of the NAACP for quite a number of years now. Speaking from a personal standpoint, the younger (under-30) generation tends to be very open-minded and tolerant about different races, cultures, ethnicities, and sexual orientations whereas some of the "old-school" types still raise eyebrows, whisper, stare, etc. as if they have more of a right to reside in the area than anyone who is not "mainstream" does.

What I can tell you though is that things are rapidly improving. For the past few decades tens of thousands of people from Greater NYC have been relocating to the Pocono Mountains, and that growth is just starting to spill over into the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area as well, bringing a fresh wave of diversity with it. As some of these "old-school" types are exposed more and more on a daily basis to people of minority status, hopefully they'll become more accustomed to them and less quick to judge. It is true that the headquarters of the KKK has recently relocated to North Central Pennsylvania (I believe to Potter County), but by and large I find most locals to be rather tolerant.

As far as Towanda is concerned, Central Bradford County is home to very many meth labs, but they are mostly assembled in rural mobile homes several miles from town on dirt roads---it isn't usually prudent to establish a drug-making operation in the heart of a busy community where your chances of being caught are much greater. The town of Towanda itself is quite quaint and attractive, but given its very, very rural locale, I'd be much more worried about someone of minority status fitting in there. I'd say your best bet would be Monroe County (Stroudsburg Area), which is now very diverse, or the increasingly-diverse Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area.

Best of luck!
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH TO YOU AND ALL THOSE WONDERFUL PEOPLE WHO TOOK THEIR TIME TO ANSWER. I am so grateful for all the information supplied. An also very grateful to all those Greater New York people who have moved there and changed the world for the better. Thanks again,

Old 12-05-2007, 05:50 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,572,585 times
Most people after awhile hate the commute.
Look at one of VitoDaves last postings. Is it really worth the long hours away from home? His wife tried that experience.......Its difficult.
Is is worth the drive headaches? Getting up at 4AM and getting home in the dark at 7 or 8PM. Your life is work and commute.
Personally, I think people need to be within a half hour of their home.
If it is not a grand, huge, home .......so be it.
What is most important. If it is the family, and time together. Then commuting doesn't work. There won't be time for anything but Work, commute, and sleep.
I would go as far as( maybe ?) 45 min. to work.......other then that. No home would be worth the move.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:40 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,992,741 times
To answer your question, Shohola is close to Milford. :-)

Old 12-06-2007, 06:17 AM

summering i know what you are saying. the thing is i live about 1/2hour to 1hr depending on traffic to my job. my wife was transfered to another location an hour away and still has to go to the old location for daycare. so we both commute quite a bit. she drives i dont, i take the bus. i also start work at 7 and end at 2 so i have plenty of time for my day. if im taking a 2hr ride and sleeping like i normally do then in theory ill get home around the same time she will if she gets a job close to our new home. its not really aplicable to all people to live near where they work. figure i am an aprentice right now. i make about 48k a year. my wife manages a series of physical therapy offices and rakes about 38k. take out our rent and daycare, then her car payment (im not letting my kid in a junk car so yea its needed) i dont have a car. and bills and we can save a bit, but to buy a house in the area we are your talking a 30k downpayment for a 1500+ house payment. throw in taxes and all it just doesnt work.
the new condos going up in my town start in the low $600s. so commuting is needed. i dont mind it if at the end of the day i come home to my family in my house. then also be able to do things like save for my kid to go to college and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania