U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 12:36 PM

253 posts, read 876,168 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,

I used to be active on this forum, was planning to purchase land/house in 2009. I have a lot of family in this area going back generations and am most knowledgeable about Wallenpaupack/Hamlin/Lake Ariel area. My mother still lives there. Life took some unexpected turns, some deaths in the family including my husband. Long story longer... back to looking for a house in NEPA but this time under different circumstances. Looking for nice home to use primarily as a vacation home for the next 10 years or so, with the intention of moving there permanently afterwards. Strong preference is on or by a lake. We (boyfriend and myself) were close to making an offer on a lakefront house in Paupackan Lake but it didn't work out. We are now expanding our search into the Dingman's Ferry area - an area which I know very little about. Closer to NJ is a plus. However, looking for advice. Not sure if a gated community is for us. There's a house we're interested in (haven't seen yet) in Pocono Mt. Lake Forest, and some in Wild Acres.

Also, what's the scoop with Tanglewood North now that the ski slopes are gone? Besides having lake rights to Wallenpaupack, is there any other buzz about this place? There's also a few there that are interesting but don't want to buy somewhere that may be loosing value.

Have gone out with a realtor a couple of times. Lackawaxen area is out of the question - too far.

Any advice? I feel like I'm starting from scratch again in some respects.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 02:24 PM

OK, forget the question about Wild Acres, have searched and read enough on other posts. Anyone know anything about Tanglewood North?

Old 02-16-2014, 04:16 PM

213 posts, read 253,502 times
I found this forum to be quite useful as there are many people so helpful. My wife and I purchased a summer home in Bushkill last Sept after reading through many posts and looking at many different sections of the Poconos. But keep in mind when it comes to house hunting, you still have to see for yourself, as I did. Had I believed every post I read about Bushkill and other towns, I would have never found what I have and we couldn't be happier. Our house is not in a gated community, we wanted a country home not too far from others but still not being too secluded. Good luck to you!

Old 02-16-2014, 05:18 PM

431 posts, read 522,270 times
I think buying a home and hoping in 10 years, when you actually move into it full time it is going to be the same develpoment or the area will stay the same is risky. If you have family in the area and have a place to stay when you visit might be wise to wait before you buy. Its hard to do considering the prices. But because the prices so many people are moving to the area. In 10 years I doubt many areas will stay the same as they are right now. People wise, new people moving in because of cheap home prices. People living there for many years moving out because of property values tanking and getting so many new City Dwelling neighbors. 10 years in my opinion might as well be 100 years with this unpredictable market... If determined to buy find a property that no matter what happens around you, you still have that small piece of heaven you love. Take your time 6 months to a year and enjoy searching all the areas you mentioned. I think it will be a fun process to explore these places on your own. Talk to EVERYONE you can when you go to these places and your decision will be an educated one. Enjoy your journey time is on your side use it to your advantage.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:22 PM

1,689 posts, read 3,110,076 times
The only knock I might give Dingman's Ferry is it's close proximity to the Delaware Water Gap recreation area and Stroudsburg. Only because of potential congestion and overcrowding at times. I have tried to visit the water gap park on a few occasions and was overwhelmed by the crowd there. For me, part of moving to NEPA was the desire to get away from the overcrowded conditions elsewhere. I found the area surrounding Dingman's Ferry to be very much a spillover of New York City and Newark. If these condition don't bother you then I can say that the area is a nice nature area.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:44 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,069,424 times
As Chefkey said that area around there and Rt. 209 being only 2-lane (north/south) it can get quite congested on weekends and major holidays...you have to make sure you do your grocery shopping before those events or you'll be stuck in traffic for hours...and the back roads don't help any because everyone knows them as well...

Old 02-18-2014, 04:04 PM

801 posts, read 1,120,780 times
I have a cabin in the Delaware State Forest near Dingman's Ferry. The cool Dingman's Bridge is not far, which will take you into NJ- it's a beautiful area there! You might want to consider the town of Milford, close to NJ AND NY, and it's actually a nice little town. I can give you more specific info about the area, just PM me.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:28 AM

54 posts, read 93,366 times
Tanglwood North had their roads re-done last year. Ski area is gone. It is a low key community unlike it's cousin Tanglwood lakes. I believe you will get lake rights and beach access for Lake Wallenpaupack via Tanglwood lakes. There were several new construction homes built on spec on Paper Birch North. I do not know if they are still available, they look nice,, but a little to close for me. Good luck in your search.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. Talking to a friend who has relatives in Dingman's confirms what others have said about the time it takes to go shopping, etc. I think we're going to stay looking in the Wallenpaupack (ish) area . I'm familiar enough with it to know where everything is and it feels more like home since I have history with it. So, the search continues....

Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,069,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagldot View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. Talking to a friend who has relatives in Dingman's confirms what others have said about the time it takes to go shopping, etc. I think we're going to stay looking in the Wallenpaupack (ish) area . I'm familiar enough with it to know where everything is and it feels more like home since I have history with it. So, the search continues....
Good luck!! That area up there is really nice and away from the madness of Monroe County...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania