U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:25 AM

37,091 posts, read 38,667,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
first of all--i take issue myself with someone focusing on one agenda and ignoring the health issue that is cancer and MOST OF ALL--
I'm not ignoring the issue and it is you that attempted to focus it on something that obviously cannot be related in any statistical sense.

Quote:
----who wants to constantly have to defend their questions and opinions
Huh? That's the purpose of a discussion forum. You can't go lobbing a grenade like that and not expect to be called on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 11:50 AM

3,833 posts, read 4,837,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not ignoring the issue and it is you that attempted to focus it on something that obviously cannot be related in any statistical sense.

Huh? That's the purpose of a discussion forum. You can't go lobbing a grenade like that and not expect to be called on it.
the grenade is what is causing so much cancer in nepa---your focus is on defending smoking---no discussion here as that was NOT the focus of my post

Old 02-24-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. McFadden View Post
Excuse me Auntie, but there was absolutely NOTHING rude, nor any name-calling in my posting to you. The questioning of your statistical base for observations was quite on-topic and the notation of "itinerant Bible saleswoman" was clearly meant as a lightener in an otherwise rather long, dry, and *very much* "on topic" posting. I also do not see where I referenced any studies supporting smoking in my posting.

A clarification would be appreciated m'lady.

sorry--my reference was not to you but to other posters in the past that were rude

Old 02-24-2014, 01:47 PM

37,091 posts, read 38,667,397 times
Quote:
the grenade is what is causing so much cancer in nepa---
You specifically said second hand smoking. Are you again suggesting that second hand smoke is the cause? If so I'll refer to my previous post.

And if smoking is the cause how can it not be the focus of your post? You make no sense. You ask what is causing cancer, say it's second hand smoke but don't want to focus on smoking? ROFL...

Old 02-25-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You specifically said second hand smoking. Are you again suggesting that second hand smoke is the cause? If so I'll refer to my previous post.

And if smoking is the cause how can it not be the focus of your post? You make no sense. You ask what is causing cancer, say it's second hand smoke but don't want to focus on smoking? ROFL...
[b]you need to read the ENTIRE post and not just focus on what one small part--no wonder why this section of nepa has lost so many intelligent posters------i give up on trying to initiate a discussion on what are causes of high cancer in nepa

as to you---maybe you need to focus on your chosen topic of defending the imposition of inhaling others cigarette smoke

Old 02-25-2014, 03:47 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,412,920 times
The PA DOH has some reports on their site that's sortable in many different ways to read statistics. Based on my very quick perusal, NEPA does not seem to have a higher than average cancer rate than the rest of the state.
Health Statistics

For example, in 2011 Lehigh County reported 10,103 (population 312,090 [2010 census]) cases. Luzerne reported 10,995 (population 320,918 [2010 census])

Breaking the rates down Lehigh has 1:30 ratio of reportings; Luzerne has a 1:29 which statistically is nearly no difference when you consider Luzerne has a slightly higher population and a slighter higher reporting rate.

Looking into other counties

Erie has a population of 280,566, reportings 7,728. 1:36
Westmoreland has a population of 369,993, reportings 12,304. 1:30
Lancaster has a population of 519,445, reportings 13,516 1:38
Montgomery has a population of 799,874, reportings 23,809 1:33

Old 02-25-2014, 04:20 PM

607 posts, read 491,968 times
Default A sad obsession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
2011 Lehigh County reported 10,103 (population 312,090 [2010 census]) cases. Luzerne reported 10,995 (population 320,918 [2010 census])
Thank you Charmed.

I have to agree that I don't see where secondary smoke exposure enters into any discussion of "very high cancer rates" in NEPA. Let's assume that half the population is heavily exposed: that would be (for either county) about 150,000 exposed. Using the EPA Report as a source for increase under heavy 1950s/1970s exposure conditions, we'd see a 19% increase over the base lifetime nonsmoker lung cancer rate of 4 in a thousand increasing to 5 in a thousand. That's 1 per thousand of the exposed population over a lifetime. With 150,000 exposed, and a 75 year lifetime, that would be two extra lung cancers per year... out of 10,000 reported.

I can't see where any focus on something as ridiculous as 2 out of the 10,000 annual cancers has any real place in a discussion of what "causes" an area's "high cancer rates." It would seem that you'd have to be truly obsessed to focus on such a thing as any sort of significant contributor to the problem.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:49 PM

the only one focusing on smoking as a cause was not myself the op--twas obviously a defensive smoker---again the original question was what r some of the causes--and for those of you in denial of nepa having cancer clusters---visit a cancer treatment center---talk to drs and nurses and see for yourselves how many luzerne and lackawanna pts go there and get your head out of the sand----and before you all get your panties in knots --there are cancer cluster areas in nj and ny---but my focus is nepa--where i live-----so much for any discussion on this board

Old 03-03-2014, 11:05 PM

607 posts, read 491,968 times
Default Misunderstanding?

Quote:
the only one focusing on smoking as a cause was not myself the op-
My apologies if I misunderstood. The post numbered here as #1 however, by an "AuntieAnnie68" seemed to note only one thing that could be considered by some, at least in the more extreme wing of things, as a cancer cause, when she wrote, "My only observation in Philly and the suburbs is that we rarely encounter cigarette smoke blown in our faces."

If there was a previous post that more extensively discussed other causes it is not visible to me. Can you direct me to it?

Old 03-04-2014, 03:42 AM

3,050 posts, read 2,533,554 times
I was under the impression this post was more about the lack of health CARE options in NEPA, as I know that has been a concern of yours in the past, annie, and I agree that it is a problem. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania