U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:50 AM

13,260 posts, read 10,647,373 times

Advertisements

Most of this discussion has focused on cigarette smoking. Why hasn't anybody mentioned radon? You can Google radon maps and get something like this one: VSI Radon Reduction Corp. - Home of Illinois largest radon reduction contractors. Many areas of our Country are in the same boat as us - including Philadelphia and Pittsburg (in our State).

As far as smoking and one area worse than another: I used to think that many from the metropolitan areas where worse than locals. If I spotted somebody smoking in one of our grocery stores; they usually got into a vehicle with NY plates. But that was years ago. The attitudes in our Nation have changed from acceptable to unacceptable. If we do have some areas left it is only a matter of time until current attitudes catch up with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 08:06 AM

607 posts, read 489,687 times
Default Of concentrations and studies...

Fisheye, agreed. Unless there's an unusual concentration of a polluting industry or automotive polluting congestion, radon is an obvious culprit for lung cancer among nonsmokers in a geographic plot. Some would argue that a concentration of smokers could also correlate, but I haven't seen any studies that would indicate that with anything significant. A concentration of smokers might correlate with higher cancer rates in a geographic population (e.g. KY vs. UT) because of cancer rates in smokers themselves, but I don't think NEPA has a significant enough concentration of smokers compared to other areas around to account for it (haven't really studied figures or anything on that though).

You could also have ethnic concentrations causing an increase due to dietary preferences and cooking styles, or age concentrations (e.g. I'll bet there's a lot of cancer in areas popular with retirees in Florida!)

For an effect to be noticeable on a casual observation level it would have to be pretty high though. "Anecdotal evidence" is usually ignored because it's worth ignoring: just because you happen to have three neighbors with cancer doesn't mean there's likely a "radon bump" under your basements -- more likely it just means that by random chance three of your neighbors have cancer.

Same deal with micro-studies driven by an agenda. The "Helena" type studies on heart attacks and smoking bans (See Mathews' 73 Cities study for an example of how those micro-studies look when they're all plotted out) are a good example; and if there were a few hundred million dollars a year available to fund anti-chlorine studies I'll bet there'd be a few convincing examples of clusters out there focused on suburbs with lots of backyard pools. And if there *was* a small increase in risk from those pools? Should children be taken from parents in such neighborhoods? I'd be willing to bet that whatever risk MIGHT be found probably pales in comparison to drownings in those pools.

Funding bias is very important in these these. The MSA has pumped $500 million to $900 million a year into antismoking efforts for the last 15 years, so you see a ton of studies whose grant proposals pretty much promise that they'll give the "right" results before the studies are even carried out. Offer $50 million or so to researchers to show that NEPA is a carcinogenic place to live and I could almost guarantee a raft of studies showing just exactly that.

Last edited by Michael J. McFadden; 03-04-2014 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: added a clarifying phrase

Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,424,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. McFadden View Post
or age concentrations (e.g. I'll bet there's a lot of cancer in areas popular with retirees in Florida!)
Now there is a good point, Luzerne County has an older population. Wikipedia tells me the median age is 41 while the national average is 36.8. Almost 20% of the population is over 65, nationally it's only 12.8%.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:30 AM

Here is a link to an LA Times article today that kind of puts this all in perspective: Death by numbers - latimes.com.

There are a million ways to scare yourself into an early death. I figure go with the flow and enjoy life while you can.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:13 PM

3,803 posts, read 4,816,390 times
i do not do statistics but merely report what professionals such as those at HUP state----research is being done on areas with cancer clusters

fyi--fla DOES NOT have a higher incidence of cancer caused by the age of residents but does have clusters related to radon exposure----the cancers in nepa i am seeing are mainly in younger and consist of blood cancers,head and neck,andbreast and pancreatic(espec--taylor,old forge)

final note--those of u focused on touting the wonderfulness of smoking---smoke away--don't pollute my air---and like it or not---there is less smoking being done in much larger cities than wb or scrantoon

Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,424,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post

final note--those of u focused on touting the wonderfulness of smoking---smoke away--don't pollute my air---and like it or not---there is less smoking being done in much larger cities than wb or scrantoon
ROFL, despite you claim this topic is not about smoking you seem to be trying damn hard to make it about smoking.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:13 PM

3,803 posts, read 4,816,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
ROFL, despite you claim this topic is not about smoking you seem to be trying damn hard to make it about smoking.
i believe you first focused on that and others followed your lead---again i understand why this particular area of nepa in this cd forum has died and who is helping keeping it from being informative and varied and interesting on any topic

Old 03-05-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
i believe you first focused on that and others followed your lead---again i understand why this particular area of nepa in this cd forum has died and who is helping keeping it from being informative and varied and interesting on any topic

Where are your statistics to back up your claims? You started off this thread with your suspicions and feelings. Other than your personal observations; you have no numbers. It isn't only that; we all know that you hate the health care you have received locally - you have your biases. Not all of us have had your experiences - some of us like our health care professionals in this area.

Informative and interesting is not always about agreeing with your every post. We are all human and all have had different experiences than you have had. It has been a very long time since anybody blew smoke in my face. The statistics submitted by others seem to disprove your original suspicions.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:07 PM

2,675 posts, read 2,835,214 times
Quote:
Au contraire!!

I find some of the silly banter on this forum interesting...this thread is a good example. My thanks to the contributors. My reps to those whose logic and perseverance I admire.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:48 AM

31 posts, read 33,236 times
NEPA is one of the worst places for asthma sufferers in the country. People there don't care about health at all. Smoking and binge drinking are a daily norm for lots of people there. It really is sad to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania