U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:41 AM

693 posts, read 747,549 times

Advertisements

Well TG, I can't rep you, but thank you for another logical post without the emotional outbursts presented by some others. In my observation, the medical care in NEPA has gotten much better over the years, but there are still many people here that feel they can only get adequate care by going to the big cities. They, of course are entitled go wherever they want, but I chose to stay here and received quality care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:45 AM

1,477 posts, read 1,389,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
the significant number was stated by the oncologists we see in philly and i do NOT have their statistics but in the last month i have met 15 families with a variety of cancers at the cancer lodging here and 15 out of the 30 or so families seems to back up the drs observations---people living in luzerne/lack counties need to pay attention to this----the smoking focus took off cause an obviously defensive smoker got their panties in a knot when i dared to suggest that maybe smoking first or second hand was ONE OF A FACTOR IN PREDISPOSING ONE TO CANCER

WE ALL NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT ELSE IS WRONG IN THE ENVIRONMENT
Again, referring to the Pennsylvania Department of Health statistics, NEPA does not report a greater incidence of cancer than the rest of the state. It's pretty much average in comparison to counties with similar population size.

You can verify that yourself by going to this link and choosing a variety of reports with different parameters.

Health Statistics

Old 03-17-2014, 09:43 AM

6,222 posts, read 7,407,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Again, referring to the Pennsylvania Department of Health statistics, NEPA does not report a greater incidence of cancer than the rest of the state. It's pretty much average in comparison to counties with similar population size.

You can verify that yourself by going to this link and choosing a variety of reports with different parameters.

Health Statistics
There exists in NEPA a cancer (specifically colorectal) hotspot which has a more than 20% incidence when compared to the rest of the commonwealth and the country as a whole. When you look at the study you referenced, you can see the increase by county of colorectal cancer by comparison. The definitive study is based on population. One need only to Google "colorectal cancer in northeast Pennsylvania".

Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM

2,657 posts, read 2,824,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
There exists in NEPA a cancer (specifically colorectal) hotspot which has a more than 20% incidence when compared to the rest of the commonwealth and the country as a whole. When you look at the study you referenced, you can see the increase by county of colorectal cancer by comparison. The definitive study is based on population. One need only to Google "colorectal cancer in northeast Pennsylvania".
Are the stats adjusted for age? PA is among the oldest states, and NEPA is among the oldest area in PA. Many cancers favor the old. What are the risk factors for colorectal cancer?

or

It could be the pizza?

(NOTE: I posted the original above before reading the link ... I hate it when people do that ... the PA study does do some adjusting for age but there is little detail on this. I am NOT interested in pursuing this further.

Note that the original link I provided mentions lifestyle, obesity, genetics, alcohol, etc. among the many contributing factors. Historically NEPA probably is above average in some of these negative attributes. (so combined with age would contribute negative results/stats).

It was also noted in the PA study that the NEPA's general population is/was historically more likely to stay in the area for most/all their lives so if there were genetic and/or dietary influences these could amplify their contribution too, etc etc.

Too much info to decompose/analyze for this discussion...I am going with the pizza theory I originally submitted.)

Last edited by jimazee; 03-17-2014 at 11:24 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 12:07 PM

13,180 posts, read 10,591,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Are the stats adjusted for age? PA is among the oldest states, and NEPA is among the oldest area in PA. Many cancers favor the old. What are the risk factors for colorectal cancer?

or

It could be the pizza?

(NOTE: I posted the original above before reading the link ... I hate it when people do that ... the PA study does do some adjusting for age but there is little detail on this. I am NOT interested in pursuing this further.

Note that the original link I provided mentions lifestyle, obesity, genetics, alcohol, etc. among the many contributing factors. Historically NEPA probably is above average in some of these negative attributes. (so combined with age would contribute negative results/stats).

It was also noted in the PA study that the NEPA's general population is/was historically more likely to stay in the area for most/all their lives so if there were genetic and/or dietary influences these could amplify their contribution too, etc etc.

Too much info to decompose/analyze for this discussion...I am going with the pizza theory I originally submitted.)
My doctor has been trying to recall my butt for years! It would not surprise me if we don't have more cases because they are always looking! You know, if you go looking for problems, you might find them!

Actually my doctor is pretty good. At least I think he is pretty good because of the drugs he had in my i.v.! One of these days (years) I'll give in and go back. Maybe he will be retired by that time?

Old 03-17-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:

or

It could be the pizza?

lol Lots of adjustments then, in my case. I'm not a native to NEPA. I spent the first half of my up-to-now-life south of here.

Pizza. You might have something there, jim. Although I'm not a pizza fan. Possibly once every four or five months. Honest. But I know people who eat pizza at least once a week, like a religion. I'm not a drinker. My mother died an alcoholic and I'm not willing to go down that road. Obesity has never been a problem - although right now my lard has increased a bit over this long winter.

Let me assure you, when the doctor walks in and tells you that what you have is cancer, you aren't going to give a flying falafel if the statistics are adjusted for age, pizza intake, or any other demographic.

It is a puzzlement. One thing we know for certain; it starts with a rogue cell replicating itself in the dark interior. I hope the researchers can find out what causes that cell to go haywire before my grandkids get bigger. Stay healthy.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
lol Lots of adjustments then, in my case. I'm not a native to NEPA. I spent the first half of my up-to-now-life south of here.

Pizza. You might have something there, jim. Although I'm not a pizza fan. Possibly once every four or five months. Honest. But I know people who eat pizza at least once a week, like a religion. I'm not a drinker. My mother died an alcoholic and I'm not willing to go down that road. Obesity has never been a problem - although right now my lard has increased a bit over this long winter.

Let me assure you, when the doctor walks in and tells you that what you have is cancer, you aren't going to give a flying falafel if the statistics are adjusted for age, pizza intake, or any other demographic.

It is a puzzlement. One thing we know for certain; it starts with a rogue cell replicating itself in the dark interior. I hope the researchers can find out what causes that cell to go haywire before my grandkids get bigger. Stay healthy.
I just commented on the stats since you introduced stats on a particular type of cancer in NEPA. When you do that and pose the question 'why' ... one sorta has to goto detailed stats and studies for some 'answers'. That's what needs to be done to 'address' the OP, rather than just anecdotal evidence.

Note that we are aware of what it's like to have a doctor tell someone you know (or someone you are...) that they (unexpectedly) have cancer. Some day we can chat about Leukemia and Lymphoma...cancers of the blood, which often strike young/youngish/middle age people with little rhyme or reason other than the (bad) luck of the draw.

BTW, the pizza reference was a subtle(?) attempt to poke fun at the often recurring debate about OF style pizza as viewed by the natives and the newbies.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:43 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,389,828 times
Quote:
I was speaking in generalities, not specifically to a hot spot of colorectal cancer. Cancer, as a whole, in NEPA has average reporting rates by county as the rest of the state. I wasn't specific to type cancer, just an overall percentage in comparison to the rest of the state.

AuntieAnnie wasn't stating specifically colorectal cancer. She said "oncologists" and "cancer patients". Nothing specific. Had she stated, lung, colorectal, breast, etc. specifically I would have run the data report to filter by type.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I just commented on the stats since you introduced stats on a particular type of cancer in NEPA. When you do that and pose the question 'why' ... one sorta has to goto detailed stats and studies for some 'answers'. That's what needs to be done to 'address' the OP, rather than just anecdotal evidence.

Note that we are aware of what it's like to have a doctor tell someone you know (or someone you are...) that they (unexpectedly) have cancer. Some day we can chat about Leukemia and Lymphoma...cancers of the blood, which often strike young/youngish/middle age people with little rhyme or reason other than the (bad) luck of the draw.

BTW, the pizza reference was a subtle(?) attempt to poke fun at the often recurring debate about OF style pizza as viewed by the natives and the newbies.
I wasn't asking "why" jim. The experts don't yet have the answer so I don't expect to get the answer on CD.

I didn't mean to suggest that YOU personally didn't know what it felt like to receive that diagnosis. I was pointing to the fact that all the statistics in the world are meaningless when it's personal.

As for your pizza reference, I really thought it was pretty funny. Yes, I got that you were being facetious.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding. At least in this thread.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I wasn't asking "why" jim. The experts don't yet have the answer so I don't expect to get the answer on CD.

I didn't mean to suggest that YOU personally didn't know what it felt like to receive that diagnosis. I was pointing to the fact that all the statistics in the world are meaningless when it's personal.

As for your pizza reference, I really thought it was pretty funny. Yes, I got that you were being facetious.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding. At least in this thread.
TG...no problem here I understood and agreed with your post. I knew you didn't really ask why. My intent was linkage/reference to the OP, which was did pose the 'why' (NEPA etc).

BTW, Based on my quick survey of a few infos, I'm not surprised that some cancers like colorectal might show a higher incidence in an area like NEPA for a few reasons I touched on in a previous post on possible contributions to a NEPA statistical colorectal hotspot (not YOU!!). See below for excerpt:

Quote:

I think some of these factors may gradually be mitigated with the increasing ebb and flow of people in and out of NEPA...but it takes some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania