Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:32 PM

608 posts, read 592,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
One thing we know for certain; it starts with a rogue cell replicating itself in the dark interior. I hope the researchers can find out what causes that cell to go haywire before my grandkids get bigger. Stay healthy.

Not necessarily on the "dark interior" part. If you let your kids outdoors or near a window during daylight hours you'll be increasing their chances of an early and painful death from malignant melanoma. Remember: sunscreen and awnings provide only "partial protection," and we've been assured, by the highest authorities available, the Antismokers, that "partial protection" is insufficient. Patio dining facilities are still rampant throughout the nation, parents drag their children to them, and workers are forced to work there.

I share your hope though that they get a handle on controlling cancer: would certainly be nice, and with the depth of research they're doing nowadays it's not really unrealistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
in closing my input--all i have to say are two things---stats are and can be frequently manipulated--for ex--recent elderly bus riders---and i pay attention to those in well respected medical institutions when they pass their info on

for those of you raising kids in nepa--pay attention--there are undiscovered causes leading to cancer in this area--visit cancer centers in philly--see how many YOUNG cancer pts from luzerne/lackawanna co there

btw---some of the leading docs in nepa are sending their family members to philly for treatment cause of better medical carre there

Old 03-19-2014, 11:33 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
in closing my input--all i have to say are two things---stats are and can be frequently manipulated--for ex--recent elderly bus riders---and i pay attention to those in well respected medical institutions when they pass their info on

for those of you raising kids in nepa--pay attention--there are undiscovered causes leading to cancer in this area--visit cancer centers in philly--see how many YOUNG cancer pts from luzerne/lackawanna co there

***btw---some of the leading docs in nepa are sending their family members to philly for treatment cause of better medical carre there
Doctors have been sending patients to Philly --and sometimes NY-- for decades; that's not news. It really depends on which cancer and what type you have. Some are very difficult to treat.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:20 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Doctors have been sending patients to Philly --and sometimes NY-- for decades; that's not news. It really depends on which cancer and what type you have. Some are very difficult to treat.
...and sometimes Boston, Baltimore, Houston, New Haven, and Rochester and many others (from the East Coast). Philadelphia also has two excellent cancer treatment hospitals and more. In fact many large cities have excellent cancer specialty hospitals. Most are near excellent universities where the leading edge research is often done. (Duh!)

Maybe some day NEPA will have a similar but smaller facility if the Med School survives and goes in that direction.

Often the initial diagnosis and/or second opinion is done at a specialized hospital. They then can prescribe and 'manage' 'routine' treatment (like chemo). This can often be provided more locally (like in NEPA). Using this approach, tactics/strategies, checks and treatment adjustments can be made by/at the managing hospital through regular visits.

There is nothing magic about Philadelphia. It is the most convenient place from most of NEPA where top flight cancer specialties (and other specialties) exist. Anyone who lives much closer to there would commute, not stay there, for services when possible. A disproportionate number of people who stay there would be from NEPA. Youngsters would be more visible too. There are good cancer centers at Pitt and Ohio State too, so folks from western PA are less likely to seek treatment in Philly.

Should this really be a revelation?

(OT: A concern expressed by some lately is that the new ACA and its evolution/fallout may limit access to some of these top shelf hospitals...but that is not for this thread.)

Old 03-19-2014, 06:36 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
I have a sister that lives in Reston, VA. Her husband was having heart problems. Even though they were surrounded by many quality hospitals; they still went to the Cleveland Clinic (which is supposedly one of the best in the Country). Her husband had a new valve installed and is now doing fine.

I do question people that are in poor and weak condition traveling long distances. In the above case everything worked out great. I just worry that all of these cases do not turn out the same. Travel has to take a toll and there is probably a stress factor on patients so far from home?

Old 03-19-2014, 08:00 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have a sister that lives in Reston, VA. Her husband was having heart problems. Even though they were surrounded by many quality hospitals; they still went to the Cleveland Clinic (which is supposedly one of the best in the Country). Her husband had a new valve installed and is now doing fine.

I do question people that are in poor and weak condition traveling long distances. In the above case everything worked out great. I just worry that all of these cases do not turn out the same. Travel has to take a toll and there is probably a stress factor on patients so far from home?
The surgeon who installed MY valve had trained at the Cleveland Clinic and had just returned from a look at the newest procedures being done there. Wilkes-Barre General Hospital is actually about seven minutes from my home and has a dedicated cardiac surgery suite. I was an in-patient for five days and had no complications.

An acquaintance needed the same surgery, but she opted to go to Philadelphia, and scoffed at my choice to stay here. She suffered some complications that had her traveling back and forth for a couple of months. I felt really sorry for her.

When I became ill and was diagnosed with colon cancer, I chose to remain here and had my surgery performed by a local surgeon who had done his Fellowship in gastric surgery. Again, at Wilkes-Barre General.

My oncologist is here. My Primary Care Physician is here. My cardiologist is here. And I'm still here.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
And I'm still here.
Great news! And, of course, the conversations are more lively!

I believe that believing in your health provider/s makes a big difference. Call it psychosomatic or mind over body; a positive attitude will help your recovery. Years ago (1960's) I went to a local dermatologist to get almost 100 plantar warts removed from both feet (50/foot). Some were half inch in diameter and almost a half inch deep. The female dermatologist recommended a dye that she told me was supposed to effectively remove the warts. She said that she read the virus was attracted to that special metallic red dye. She said that it would be a last ditch effort to remove them before a painful long surgery. I was nineteen years old at the time and had every reason to believe her about the dye - I was not looking forward the surgery. In two weeks the 100 warts, that were very painful to walk on, were gone. To this day I do not know if it was psychosomatic or a dye that really worked? I even started a thread on it three years ago and still do not know: Psychosomatic healing, maybe?.

I also believe the opposite can be true if you don't believe in your doctor. For those, that don't believe in their local health care professionals, they might be better off traveling?

Old 03-20-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Great news! And, of course, the conversations are more lively!

I believe that believing in your health provider/s makes a big difference. Call it psychosomatic or mind over body; a positive attitude will help your recovery. Years ago (1960's) I went to a local dermatologist to get almost 100 plantar warts removed from both feet (50/foot). Some were half inch in diameter and almost a half inch deep. The female dermatologist recommended a dye that she told me was supposed to effectively remove the warts. She said that she read the virus was attracted to that special metallic red dye. She said that it would be a last ditch effort to remove them before a painful long surgery. I was nineteen years old at the time and had every reason to believe her about the dye - I was not looking forward the surgery. In two weeks the 100 warts, that were very painful to walk on, were gone. To this day I do not know if it was psychosomatic or a dye that really worked? I even started a thread on it three years ago and still do not know: Psychosomatic healing, maybe?.

I also believe the opposite can be true if you don't believe in your doctor. For those, that don't believe in their local health care professionals, they might be better off traveling?
Psychosomatic healing has long been a discussion as it applies to warts. Often, if one believes the "cure" will work, it will. "Cut a raw potato in half and rub it on the wart. Bury the potato by the back step by the light of the full moon. The wart will disappear by week's end". Right.

As for believing in your doctor(s), I've been with my PCP almost as long as he's been in practice - about 22 years. We have a swell rapport and I frequently ask him, "Is this what you'd prescribe for your Mother?" My cardiologist has treated me for 10 years, although he did pi$$ me off. I need to schedule an appointment. Oncologist has been with me from those first days in the hospital when they yanked part of my innards along with a cancerous tumor - five years ago.

It took me a while to find my PCP. The others I tried, although they were good at what they did, lacked the personality I require. I want to be treated like a person and not like a LOL. (In doctor parlance, that stands for Little Old Lady.) Even Auntieannie admits that there are "leading docs in NEPA"; it is not the medical wasteland many would have us believe.

Given the fact that there is such a large elderly population in NEPA, somebody must be keeping us going, wouldn't you say?

I think sometimes that people have unreasonable expectations when it comes to medical care. Not everything can be cured.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
It took me a while to find my PCP.
We keep outliving our PCP's terms of service - they keep retiring or moving on! We are currently breaking in a new one - we're making bets on how long she will last. We tried to start with a younger one hoping they might not die or retire before us?

Duct tape is the newest weapon against plantar warts. My sister's dermatologist recommended using the tape on her wart. It took about one month; but it did go away. My sister was happy that she did not have to get another one painfully removed. I don't know how much of that is mind over body (wart)? I still think that a positive attitude helps - I know that it can't cure all.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
We keep outliving our PCP's terms of service - they keep retiring or moving on! We are currently breaking in a new one - we're making bets on how long she will last. We tried to start with a younger one hoping they might not die or retire before us?

Duct tape is the newest weapon against plantar warts. My sister's dermatologist recommended using the tape on her wart. It took about one month; but it did go away. My sister was happy that she did not have to get another one painfully removed. I don't know how much of that is mind over body (wart)? I still think that a positive attitude helps - I know that it can't cure all.
What's the old saying? I know more old drunks than I know old doctors. j/k

I tried the duct tape, but it didn't work, because I just didn't "believe". I have heard that if you melt an aspirin and paint it onto the wart, it will "die". Aspirin (ASA) is acetylsalicylic acid and that's what kills the wart. Supposedly.

Wonder how many people in NEPA have the wart virus? And do you think the Philadelphia doctors have a secret cure? (See, I can be on-topic.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania