U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,498 times

Advertisements

My husband and I thinking about making a move to NEP. We are not familiar with the area at all so I would love some advice about where to start looking. We are coming from NJ and we have 3 small children. Work is not an issue as my husband works from home. My husband wants to buy a nice, big piece of property in the middle of nowhere where we can't see the neighbors. He has even thrown the word farm around. My priorities are slightly different. I want a good school system, safe, a town with a family feel/good for kids, not too far from medical care/stores (half hour is fine). Please tell me that there is a perfect little town that will meet both our needs. We would need internet access too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 11:56 AM

13,206 posts, read 10,607,078 times
Here is a link to a "sticky' that our moderator posted on the Lehigh Valley forum: Help for new and potential residents. There is a lot of good information in that link.

If travel is not an issue; you might want to look at Pike or Carbon Counties.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:12 PM

104 posts, read 141,194 times
Hi, Rachl168, welcome.

Do you want a big piece of property in the middle of nowhere or a little town with a family feel? Those two ideals sound nice but I'm not sure how they would play out practically.

There are lots of places in NEPA where you can have a lot of land and privacy (Fisheye's suggestions are good.) If you want a little town...maybe Jim Thorpe. If your husband wants a farm, NEPA might not be the best choice--maybe the Lancaster area instead?

Old 02-22-2014, 11:04 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,640,753 times
If you don't need to be very close to NJ, there are many pleasant areas in PA outside of NEPA that would satisfy your requirements. See Affordable and safe small town for retirement in PA.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:22 PM

3,680 posts, read 3,262,911 times
Try Bloomsburg or Danville, assuming neither of you needs to commute to a job in NY/NJ.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:15 AM

13,206 posts, read 10,607,078 times
They really have to access their needs. If they have family or friends that they intend to visit or business needs; they might want to stay closer to the border. If they have medical needs; they might want to stay closer to facilities that offer specialized treatment. Of course they want a good (safe) home for their kids.

The ball is in their court and it is going to take leg work and research to get the results they demand.

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,831,342 times
Start with good schools and then narrow it down based on your other priorities. Take it from me, who wasn't ever having kids when I moved here: you do NOT want to do it with anything else first on the list or you will end up in a lovely house on a lovely piece of property in the wrong school district and good luck changing in a bad real estate market.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:27 AM

1,358 posts, read 2,068,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachL168 View Post
Please tell me that there is a perfect little town that will meet both our needs. We would need internet access too.
Mayberry doesn't exist anymore. But the replies here are enough to get you started though. If you need/require Internet access then moving out to the boonies is not a good idea because the major Internet/cable tv providers either don't provide it or the speeds are not as near as good as those living in town. Search my name for more info on moving out here as well as the other members here. Lot's of info for 1st timers out there. I would suggest starting with the stick that was already provided. Good luck!!

Old 02-23-2014, 12:29 PM

191 posts, read 249,365 times
Just moved here during the summer.If your looking for rural living its easy to find.Look at Effort, sciota, saylorsburg or cannadensis areas .Did some exploring in those areas and its like being in alaska lol, as much nature and isolation as you desire.Hope this helps

Old 02-24-2014, 07:07 AM

1,358 posts, read 2,068,224 times
I honestly do not recommend Effort because it has really gone downhill...I once lived there in the last half of '99 till August of 2000 and back then it was nice...but since it has declined...the people I know that live there no longer recommend it either...Sciota is nice...a few horse farms there and rural but close to everything...same with Saylorsburg (where I live) and also close to everything for shopping, Pleasant Valley school district, and Pocono Medical Center is building a new facility on Rt. 209 close to the Wawa...Canadensis if country living is what your looking for but you have to deal with the trash and riff-raff from Mt. Pocono and A Pocono Country Place (aka APCP) which is famous for NY/NJ gangs, drug dealers, and other no goods you don't want you children around...I've been coming out here since '96, lived out here during the above mentioned timeframe, and now living here permanently since Nov. 2007...when I didn't live out here I still spent many weekends out here because my schedule of working 3 days a week allowed me the free time...so I know what it was like before it became what you now see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania