Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:57 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times

Advertisements

On YouTube I been watching videos of the demolition of the Huber Breaker in Ashley, just outside Wilkes Barre. It was a large impressive structure and building that processed anthricite coal that was at one time the most important industry in northeastern Pennsylvania.

This summer I made two trips to Wilkes Barre and took one last look at the breaker. On the first trip the old Sterling Hotel was still standing; but it was gone by my second trip.

It breaks my heart. I think relics of NEPA's important history and heritage are disappearing before our eyes.

Am I the only one who feels sad about this???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 08:22 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,480 times
No...both structures were present for all of my life. I wish we had preserved what we had..but I think at this point, Wilkes Barre and the surrounding areas are going to morph into a town without character. The shopping area near the mall brought in jobs and a great resource, but if you close your eyes...you could be anywhere in the U.S. There is nothing unique about it. Sadly, I think that is the future.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:56 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Did you take pictures of the demo? If so, can you post any of them? Thanks!

Old 03-03-2014, 05:55 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,896 times
I'm sad to see it go, too. Went there a few times and you can see some of my photos here:

Frank's Photography Site - Wilkes-Barre area abandoned rails - Spring 2013

The newest ones, though, are almost a year old.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Thanks, Frank for the great photos.

Is anyone aware if any other breakers or collieries still stand? If I'm not mistaken I think I saw one this past summer down in Mahanoy City or there about.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
There is still newer but smaller ones in operation. In the Wyoming Valley Hudson Anthracite in Inkerman and Casey's Kassa's in Laflin are the only one operational that I'm aware. Hudson is actually a really large facility, it was originally built sometime in the 80's, I don't know the exact date. They put it there originally to process culm banks and then it was bought by Popple's to process new coal.

There is lot of activity in the Hazleton and Pottsville area and I know there is a few breakers similar to the Huber down there.

As far as the Huber goes that is really a shame but the costs to bring that up to anything that could have been a viable museum type facility would have been enormous let alone purchasing the property itself. It's unfortunate but just like the Sterling you can point the finger at the politicians.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:46 PM

54 posts, read 81,668 times
I'm sad to see it torn down. I remember going there with my dad in the 70s to buy coal.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:55 PM

10 posts, read 11,093 times
This is what happens when the local areas fall into poverty, and corruption allows men to buy property and never invest into it.

If I could make one law limiting government, it would be that no friends of elected officials could do business with the government.

A second would be that if you buy large areas or buildings and do nothin with them, within 3-5 years, you lose the land and aren't reimbursed.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:16 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hildenbrand View Post

If I could make one law limiting government, it would be that no friends of elected officials could do business with the government.
I don't think that would be practical or enforceable.

Quote:
A second would be that if you buy large areas or buildings and do nothin with them, within 3-5 years, you lose the land and aren't reimbursed.
That's why you pay property taxes, that is the incentive to use it. Confiscation of private property should never be an option.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:40 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
What is your proposal to stem the destruction of historical properties, coal man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania