U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,827,500 times

Advertisements

Well if you won't countenance private school tuition and you won't countenance renting first, then I wish you the best of luck. You'll need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 12:18 AM

5 posts, read 5,614 times
My husband and I just moved from NJ to Stroudsburg with our one year old son. We couldn't afford to buy a home in NJ and we loved PA, my sister lives in East Stroudsburg. I work in Wilkes-Barre so I have about a 45 min commute but no traffic. I did the commute to Morris County in NJ for a week before switching jobs and the traffic was terrible. My sister still teaches in central Jersey and has gotten used to the commute, so it's doable. We bought a home in Hamilton Township which is part of Stroudsburg. The homes were a little more expensive (still under $200k) but from our research the schools are better and we have met some really great neighbors so far.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:27 AM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover84 View Post
So here's the story-- my husband and I afford it okay here on Long Island (we live about 15 minutes outside Queens). We own a house that's gone down a bit in value. My husband teaches in Queens, and there are quite a few coworkers who have moved to the Stroudsburg area and don't regret it. One of them in particular has been trying to convince us to look into it.

My husband makes about 90k. He said he would be willing to sacrifice the long commute for a bigger/cheaper house. I'm pregnant and due soon, so this move wouldn't happen for 2-3 years or so. As much as I love Long Island, I'm getting tired of the corruption, our bills increasing but his salary not going up, rude neighbors/locals, and the crowding/traffic. The only thing that concerns me about this move is that my husband wouldn't be home as much with raising our baby (and other future child). He currently teaches night school twice a week, so he gets home at 9:45pm those 2 nights. So in the end, it kind of balances out, since he would be home approximately 6-7 if he gets the early schedule at work (which they seem to give to those who live over an hour away).

So my question is, do you think the move is worth it? I saw that property taxes are higher than I imagined. We pay about 9000/yr for a 1100 sq.ft 4 bedroom, 1 bath home. With our taxes and mortgage combined, we pay about 2400 a month. We save a little, but starting to think our kids will have a better future elsewhere since we'll be able to save much easier for college and retirement.
Might as well stay where you are.

Yes, you will be alone with the child/children when he is stuck in NY due to a storm or some other unforeseen difficulty. If he is still teaching two nights a week after you move to PA, don't hold supper. He's not going to get home until almost midnight. Then he'll have to get up at his early hour to go back to teach his regular day shift. Realistically, how long do you think he'll be able to keep up this pace and how long before you crack under the strain of being what amounts to a single parent?

If he gives up the night school gig, how will that change his $90,000. salary?

You're projecting a two to three year lead-time, so some of what you find out now may not apply in 2016/2017.

If you move to PA, be assured you are going to lose some of the amenities you're used to. And that's the biggest complaint I read here from NY/NJ transplants.

I'm not trying to discourage you from making the move; just pointing out that the COL seems to be your main reason for moving without taking into consideration the significant changes in life-style.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:38 AM

136 posts, read 155,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Might as well stay where you are.

Yes, you will be alone with the child/children when he is stuck in NY due to a storm or some other unforeseen difficulty. If he is still teaching two nights a week after you move to PA, don't hold supper. He's not going to get home until almost midnight. Then he'll have to get up at his early hour to go back to teach his regular day shift. Realistically, how long do you think he'll be able to keep up this pace and how long before you crack under the strain of being what amounts to a single parent?

If he gives up the night school gig, how will that change his $90,000. salary?

You're projecting a two to three year lead-time, so some of what you find out now may not apply in 2016/2017.

If you move to PA, be assured you are going to lose some of the amenities you're used to. And that's the biggest complaint I read here from NY/NJ transplants.

I'm not trying to discourage you from making the move; just pointing out that the COL seems to be your main reason for moving without taking into consideration the significant changes in life-style.

He's not going to do night school. He actually probably makes about 95,000, so it would only cut it by about 5k, so it would mean 90k. Not to mention I tutor, so that brings in a couple thousand a year.

Don't forget, he's a teacher, and going to have breaks and an earlier schedule. His coworker gets back to E.Stroudsburg by 6pm if he isn't driving. If he drives, it's about 5:30. That's really not that bad. I didn't know this when I made the post.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:15 AM

38 posts, read 44,637 times
It seems as though you are pretty convinced on making the move. I was too. Should have listened. A loaf of bread is a loaf of bread no matter where you buy it. We did the commute, not as pretty a picture as you think. Wear and tear on the car. An expense that was factored in but no where near enough. Taxes, well that's a life of it's own! In 30 years on a 30 year old house taxes went from $600.00 to $13,000 a year. That's 1200 extra per month. That worked out to be an additional part time job to pay the local pickpockets. Utilities, yep that was interesting. 4-500 a month in the coldest months. Schools, I have seen the rapid decline. I used the public system. It was good. In this time frame. Never. If I couldn't afford private school they would be home schooled. I would want my children safe. School bus commute, mostly long hours to accommodate the growing population. Finally after 3 years we were able to move on. Who wants to buy a house with 13k in taxes only destined to keep climbing? Tax reform, don't hold your breath. That would be in there with the train that's been coming for 30 years. Would I do it again? Never. Well thought out plan, excellent income, money in the bank. Yes we did all right but regrets I have many. The day my kids were able they left and never looked back. Sorry, but to each their own and I thank the Lord I was able to get out. Many of my friends are still trying.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:29 AM

452 posts, read 561,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutx52 View Post
It seems as though you are pretty convinced on making the move. I was too. Should have listened. A loaf of bread is a loaf of bread no matter where you buy it. We did the commute, not as pretty a picture as you think. Wear and tear on the car. An expense that was factored in but no where near enough. Taxes, well that's a life of it's own! In 30 years on a 30 year old house taxes went from $600.00 to $13,000 a year. That's 1200 extra per month. That worked out to be an additional part time job to pay the local pickpockets. Utilities, yep that was interesting. 4-500 a month in the coldest months. Schools, I have seen the rapid decline. I used the public system. It was good. In this time frame. Never. If I couldn't afford private school they would be home schooled. I would want my children safe. School bus commute, mostly long hours to accommodate the growing population. Finally after 3 years we were able to move on. Who wants to buy a house with 13k in taxes only destined to keep climbing? Tax reform, don't hold your breath. That would be in there with the train that's been coming for 30 years. Would I do it again? Never. Well thought out plan, excellent income, money in the bank. Yes we did all right but regrets I have many. The day my kids were able they left and never looked back. Sorry, but to each their own and I thank the Lord I was able to get out. Many of my friends are still trying.

Thank you for your thoughts and experiences. We need more posts like yours in these pages to balance out the lop sided biased ones that paint the picture of the roads in NEPA paved are with gold.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:14 PM

213 posts, read 253,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post

Thank you for your thoughts and experiences. We need more posts like yours in these pages to balance out the lop sided biased ones that paint the picture of the roads in NEPA paved are with gold.
Even though you can be a downer to some...you make me laugh
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of relocating to Stroudsburg from Long Island.-gold.jpg  

Old 03-08-2014, 08:26 PM

431 posts, read 520,746 times
Leave it to the Cap't to find the most negative post in a subject matter and put 6 big "THUMBS UP" in it lol

Old 03-08-2014, 08:47 PM

431 posts, read 520,746 times
Catlover84 I honestly think if you make a move, as a young couple you will probably triple the chance of you getting divorced. I am not judging you or your husband but the Poconos has a high divorce rate. I would blame a lot of that on the times that spouses spend apart commuting. Weary days commuters have where just saying hello will start a fight. Long bus rides sharing conversations with others, sharing facebook pages. The aggravation, time apart, smart phones and social media destroys families. Wives left home along all day, kids at school, time to remind yourself your alone all the time. Not good either. You and your husband could very well be an exception to this rule and your undeniable devotion to one another could make this all a worthless post for you to consider but..... I am a betting man and as a betting man the odds are probably stacked 80-1 against you and any other young couple making this type of move and commute. If you really love your husband don't do it.....

Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 PM

3,673 posts, read 3,251,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutx52 View Post
In 30 years on a 30 year old house taxes went from $600.00 to $13,000 a year. That's 1200 extra per month.
Finally after 3 years we were able to move on. Who wants to buy a house with 13k in taxes only destined to keep climbing?

Wait, were you here for 30 years or 3 years? And did your taxes start at $600.00 or $6,000.00? $600.00 sounds like property tax alone but $13,000.00 would have to include school tax.

And can I ask where in the Poconos you pay $13,000 in school/property tax and on what kind of house with what square footage? Just curious because I've been here 20 years and my combined school and property tax have doubled and they are still nowhere near 13k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania