Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 04:56 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,378,605 times

Advertisements

I guess you are correct for most people -- here's a link that's old but is still the case --
Is it true New York commuters don't pay Pennsylvania or local income taxes? | PoconoRecord.com

For us, though, since we have a self-employment situation, we pay NY and PA and the local tax and it is a hefty bill ... I got a refund of $4 from NY this year but still owe a ton of money to PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 05:34 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,291,838 times
I know this thread is a couple months old. I use to live in East Stroudsburg with my wife and daughter and we both went to college there. Nice college town with a really nice downtown in Stroudsburg. Plenty of amenities and many outdoor activities. The Appalachian trail runs right through there at the Delaware water Gap. I know there was a drug problem there, but where isn't there. The cost of living is pretty good there too. It will be night and day compared to Long Island.

Now for the commute, which I wish I was allowed to do, but have to live in NY for my job. Residential restriction which is BS. At least for the next four years. Definitely doable! His only issue would be getting home. He will have to get from Queens to the GW bridge or either the holland or Lincoln tunnel. Anyhow, he still needs to get onto 80. If he gets on 80 anytime after the latest 3:30 PM, he is screwed. For me, I don't like getting on 80 anytime past 3 PM when I go that way to visit family. And of course he is going to want to stop off in Jersey and get his gas because it is about 60 cents cheaper a gallon compared to NY and about 30 cents cheaper than Pa.

So if I were him, transfer into the BX. When he gets done with work, jump right on 80, and he can be home in an hour and a half. On his way in will be smooth sailing. GW doesn't become a mess until 7 am. 8p starts getting a little nutty about 6 am, but he will be past all that.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
I guess you are correct for most people -- here's a link that's old but is still the case --
Is it true New York commuters don't pay Pennsylvania or local income taxes? | PoconoRecord.com

For us, though, since we have a self-employment situation, we pay NY and PA and the local tax and it is a hefty bill ... I got a refund of $4 from NY this year but still owe a ton of money to PA.
You won't pay any PA income tax if you remain a resident of NY.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Most folks commuting into the city are working trade/office jobs and not making $100K. I could be wrong, maybe some of the longtime union guys are, but generally speaking they're still commuting because those jobs, in PA, would pay half what they can get in the city.

And bear in mind, it's around $600 a month for a bus ticket, more if you drive. Plus the tax hit is a nightmare (NYC taxes, plus NY state -- you don't get it all back -- plus PA, plus local, plus fed, and there is no bargain when all is said and done).

Even then, it is worth it. You will make twice the money in the city than you will ever make in Pa. Commuting is not cheap, but regardless everyone has to commute. Most people don't live next to their jobs, especially those who work in the city. Most either commute from Upstate or the Island. If your husband becomes a Pa resident, so what. He will only have to pay the pa income tax and the minor local tax if there is one at the end of the tax year which you will have the money from your federal refund (and it is not that bad). If he remains a NY resident, then he won't have to do that and you guys will file seperately.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,214 times
I grew up in, then worked in Stroudsburg, leaving in the early 1980s for a great job in Manhattan. A friend who lived near Portland, PA, just South of the Poconos, worked in Manhattan, but was chauffered daily. He wisely recommended that I try the commute before accepting the position. Excellent advice. And do not do in on holiday.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:12 PM

16 posts, read 13,660 times
I am a retired NYC teacher and moved to the Poconos in 2015 because Long Island was too crowded. I purchased a brand new house for 230K because I wanted the new house built to the current Building Code Standards. Although many houses are nice and perhaps cheaper here in PA, they are not up to code so there is no Central Air and insulation is poor and drainage can be another problem. So, I am in my 2100 sq.ft. new house where taxes are half what they were on LI and energy is slightly cheaper: I now pay about 1100/yr for natural gas and about 900/yr for electricity. The cost for a house, not new, anywhere near NYC is forbidding and not affordable at appr 450K and that is often a 20-30 year old place with repair problems. Traveling to NYC is about 1.5 hours if not during the rush hours, 80 miles. There is the toll and parking in Manhattan. However, there is a round trip bus here for about $50, 2 hours one way and you skip the tolls and parking and cost of gas. My Health benefit does not yet extend out of NY State, so the apparently nice Medical services here: St. Lukes, Lehigh Valley Health Network and Pocono Medical Services, which may all combine, is not yet accessible with my benefit. However, there are no state taxes on the pension, just like NY and FL. So, I get cleaner air and more space from .17 acres to a full acre in the woods, open roads but plowing in the winter has to be established, significantly lower mortgage and taxes. People however are the same everywhere so don't anticipate any big difference.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:02 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,718,677 times
FaitMarch, welcome to the Poconos! Glad you're thus far enjoying your move.

As an aside, we've had a really mild winter. I'd expected your gas and power bills will go up next winter, should we have a more seasonable winter season.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:07 AM

342 posts, read 794,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaitMarch View Post
People however are the same everywhere so don't anticipate any big difference.
Welcome. Hope you are acclimating well and enjoying your time here. I tend to disagree with the thought that people are the same everywhere. A lot of the northeast has a downtrodden, self centered, rat race, inner city mindset. The reason you see the same attitude here in NE PA is because of all the transplants that came from LI, 5 boroughs and Northern NJ. When you get into the small towns of NE PA you will see a much better attitude.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:23 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,718,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
Welcome. Hope you are acclimating well and enjoying your time here. I tend to disagree with the thought that people are the same everywhere. A lot of the northeast has a downtrodden, self centered, rat race, inner city mindset. The reason you see the same attitude here in NE PA is because of all the transplants that came from LI, 5 boroughs and Northern NJ. When you get into the small towns of NE PA you will see a much better attitude.
I have to disagree. I'm in a relatively small town area and if anything, I find the people downright rude and mean. Probably because I'm a transplant and you can hear it the minute I open my mouth.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:39 PM

105,755 posts, read 107,736,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abundantly_Above View Post
Right. 100K for NEPA would definitely be upper middle class. Most people are not making that kind of money. I think I read that the average household income in Pike County is under $65K.

Most people who can afford to live somewhere nicer than NEPA do so. My husband and I chose not to because 1) we like to live well below our means and save/invest most of our money, 2) we love the mountains and the beauty of the Poconos, and 3) we like the people here.
much of pike county is part time residents from high cost areas with high pay who can afford 2nd homes and while locals may be in that range once you include the part timers income is likely way higher . but typically they don't count non residents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania