U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:38 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,457,053 times

Advertisements

Look at the crime statistics, most places in NEPA are going to be well below national averages. For example the murder rate in Luzerne County is about 2 per 100K compared to a national average of 5 if you exclude Wilkes Barre. Wilkes Barre is around 30ish and is similar to some of the larger cities, I think Detroit for example is 40. Much of that violence in WB is confined to a specific demographic, young black males.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 06:32 PM

8 posts, read 18,401 times
To Clark Park and ChefKey, thank you for the suggestions of Eckley and Jeddo. To thecoalman: thanks for providing statistical data to better illustrate what NEPA is like relative to the cities. Does anyone know which police departments cover the NEPA areas? I'd like to find out so that I can call them to ask about specific neighborhoods which I am finding listings in. Thanks again!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:39 PM

104 posts, read 141,566 times
Call the individual communities you're interested in and ask them for local police info. Many are serviced only by the community's security team and state troopers.

If you get any helpful info from the police, I'd love for you to share it here.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,838,174 times
"NEPA" is a large and diverse area. There are many 'safe' places, in fact IMO most places are....the 'unsafe' places are the exception but are notorious and so the focus of the media/headlines etc.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:02 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,457,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher55 View Post
Does anyone know which police departments cover the NEPA areas? I'd like to find out so that I can call them to ask about specific neighborhoods which I am finding listings in. Thanks again!
Most towns or boroughs are going to have their town police department, if they don't they will be covered by the State Police. Where I live there is one cop... Most of them work together, e.g if there is big incident in one town the neighboring police will show up.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:09 AM

6,236 posts, read 7,435,773 times
I live in a very small town. We have our own police department. As do the towns surrounding - Kingston, Swoyersville, Exeter, Wyoming, West Wyoming, etc. etc. Wilkes-Barre, Pittston, Taylor, Old Forge, Scranton, also all have their own P.D.s (And they're all in NEPA)

These towns are not in what is actually considered to be The Poconos and since I don't live in that particular area, I can't speak further than what I read on this board, i.e., some of the gated communities have their own security forces and some are the purview of the state police.

Abundantly Above is correct. There are too many small towns and communities to contact them all. Find an area that looks promising to you and go from there. Just understand that crime happens anywhere. My town is pretty quiet on a day to day basis, but six months ago, we had a double shooting. A distraught young father shot and killed his two y.o. daughter and himself. A tragedy, yes, but not a reason for me to move from a "crime-ridden" town.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:45 AM

331 posts, read 522,401 times
NEPA is geographically gargantuan, so you should first try to narrow it down a bit more. Much like most of America, the cities are the least safe, but I wouldn't say Scranton or Wilkes-barre are particularly dangerous for the average person.

If you want to be an easy trip to NYC, your best bet is to check out the pocono towns, but they're all pretty remote and probably don't have much in the way of rentals. You could also try the Dickson City area (81 -> 380 -> 80) just north of Scranton.

Because of the natural gas boom, a lot of the northern areas have been priced out of control and aren't even worth looking at.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:00 PM

191 posts, read 250,811 times
I just moved up to stroudsburg last year from nj and enjoy this area .I explored city data way before I ever moved up here.I was shocked to read from people that this areas crime infested, gangs rampant, and then of course placing complete blame on ny and nj families moving to pa and calling them transplants and thugs.I dont know who these rock dwellers are but honestly I have seen a hundred percent the opposite of this ! Since being up here Ive never seen anything that resembles gang activity,Ive never felt in danger anywhere driving or walking up here, I know theirs drug problems up here but thats anywhere literally!The most you ' ll really run into are homeless folks looking for change or wandering around town ( big deal!),a few rowdy drunk college kids running around the bars on bar nights which strouds regional police keep pretty contained.Other than that, this area is very safe and nothing like the real mccoy in ny/nj.I would love to bring these same people to areas like Newark , that really are scary lol.The private communities up here do seem to have issues but who knows how blown out of proportion that is.The only place Ive really seen that doesnt look that great is Easton, and hazelton.But come up here for a day trip and see for yourself.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:09 PM

1,689 posts, read 3,113,710 times
I agree with you Sugashane, there are a few here that need to get out of their caves more. As I have said in other threads about the Stroudsburg area is that it is congested and more expensive at least compared to the Wyoming Valley. But I'm not surprised you find it less dangerous than North Jersey. I have lived in and around places like Newark and Philly and can also state from experience that the Poconos are child's play compared. You will still have the dwellers though that are hiding in their lairs and polishing their weapons waiting for impending doom.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:17 PM

191 posts, read 250,811 times
Hahaha very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania