U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 05:25 PM

8 posts, read 18,427 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I apologize in advance if the title of this thread offends anyone. That is not my intention. I am just looking for some advice on what towns/communities are 'safe' in NEPA. In my search for a place to move to in Pennsylvania (escaping the city life of NYC), I had mostly been researching the State College area, due to my love of the outdoors. However, looking through the Craigslist ads, I am not seeing many places that are within my budget range available for rent. As a result of that, I did some more reading and saw that the Poconos seem to offer some good outdoor access as well. However, in looking through the rental listings for the Poconos on Craigslist, I keep finding that the units being offered tend to belong to various 'communities,' all of which seem to have problems with crime and gangs if my reading on this forum is correct. The ones that I have seen listed so far that are within my budget are: A Pocono Country Place (seems to have consistent warnings about crime and gangs) Saw Creek Estates (also seems to have warnings about crime) Sunrise Lake (also has warnings about crime and vandalism as well as unmaintained roads) Seeing every listing that hooks my interest be located in one of these three communities has me worried that perhaps I am just plain looking for something that isn't possible on my budget. What I am looking for is a house or townhouse in a safe area that can be had for under $1300 a month in rent. Is that doable in NEPA? If so, I would be very grateful to get advice on what areas to look. Or perhaps I should continue looking elsewhere outside of NEPA? Thank you very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 06:31 PM

1,689 posts, read 3,116,449 times
There is no perfectly safe haven anywhere and you will always find the negative comments flow much more easily from the majority. I live in Wilkes Barre, it is affordable and most of it is very nice. Sure there is crime but it is in pockets and you just need to look carefully and do your research. If you are going to be concerned about every negative you hear than it might not be worth investigating any further. You will not find Mayberry I am sorry to have to tell you but I have been all around this valley and the nature is great and most of the towns are nice and reasonably safe. The best you can do for yourself is take some spring trips out here armed with some real estate ideas and look. See what you think you like and then do some in depth research into the area you think you like.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:13 PM

104 posts, read 141,794 times
Well said, Chefkey. The people who complain about crime here are primarily those who remember what the Poconos was like decades ago when most of the communities consisted of vacation homes. Now the area is a commuter haven, which brings a bigger population, a greater city influence, more congestion, and of course more crime. But to those who are just moving here from NYC, it can be like paradise. We absolutely love it here and are so glad we moved from Brooklyn.

I think every every area of the Poconos is safer than NYC where the OP is coming from. I have not lived in the Poconos for long but I can tell you I have never been anywhere here where I felt even remotely unsafe. I live in a community not far from Saw Creek and it is very peaceful and quiet. I'm sure there is a criminal element out here but it's not in your face (unless you move next to the wrong house, I suppose.)

Definitely come visit and see for yourself.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 PM

3,050 posts, read 2,525,914 times
OP, how old are you? Do you work? Do you require a busy nightlife?

If you don't need to find a job, are retired, or if you aren't hoping to commute to NYC, I highly suggest the Jim Thorpe area of Carbon County. Taxes are lower than in Monroe, there are tons of things to do outdoors, and although there are planned communities you will find that they have much better reputations than ones in the Poconos, not only in terms of crime but also in terms of HOA fees and the way residents treat one another.

There are a couple of other posters on here from Carbon County and they love it there. There are also a few posters, one of them a good poster named fisheye, who love Monroe County, so don't totally discount the Eastern Poconos.

Do your research. You'll find the right place to settle

Old 03-04-2014, 07:06 AM

13,338 posts, read 10,697,324 times
No matter where you move it only takes one criminal or bad neighbor to give you a bad experience. You can move out to the sticks and still come away with a bad taste in your mouth. Of course you don't want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Do the research, visit, vacation or rent in the area. See for yourself before you take the plunge. Moving is a big step and requires a lot of time and money - so you don't want to make the wrong choice.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:27 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,672,423 times
Fisher55, you asked this same question already in the PA forum. Weren't the suggested locales satisfactory?

Old 03-04-2014, 02:31 PM

Hi all, Thank you for the responses and suggestions. I appreciate it. Reading responses that are positive towards NEPA encourages me to keep looking and researching in the area. Thank you again! In response to Wells5, I originally had a broader question about PA in general and was directed to search in the State College area. I have been doing so, but had noticed that I was having trouble finding places within my budget in the State College area. Hence, I started a new thread here in the NEPA section to ask specifically about what NEPA is like.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:33 PM

With regards to specific communities, are A Pocono Country Place, Saw Creek Estates, and Sunrise Lake truly to be avoided? Most of the threads I see about them are between 2-6 years old so I was wondering if the situation has improved. Thank you again.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:34 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,838,803 times
Yes, I know of one safe place: Eckley. Nearby Jeddo is not too bad either.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:43 PM

1,689 posts, read 3,116,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Yes, I know of one safe place: Eckley. Nearby Jeddo is not too bad either.
Those are both very nice little towns. Eckley aptly being named a village because that's all it really is. Quaint little towns sprouted out of the mountains. The only negative I would give living there is the remoteness of the area and the only close shopping hub being Hazelton. Lots of beautiful land out in that area though, close to Hickory Run State Park and for another town to take trips to that is close, Jim Thorpe is just south of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania