U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 01:45 AM

22,583 posts, read 11,772,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Malls have been dying everywhere for years, they are a left over fad of the 80s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
I don't think malls in general are dying out. Here in Northern NJ, the malls are almost impossible to even park at. Even the smaller, off the beaten path malls are crowded.
I'm with Chefkey ... in general, the majority of malls are indeed dying out. Here in the Philly area, smaller malls like the Granite Run Mall are doomed. The well known Franklin Mills Mall is actually tearing down to 1/2 it's former size and consolidating into a smaller leaner mall. You see empty stores. Depressing. So many department stores are gone like Strawbridge & Clothier, Gimbels, Wannamakers, etc. How many Macy's can you have in one mall?

As a kid growing up in suburban Hollywood, Florida - right smack in between Miami and Fort Lauderdale - we had two malls: The Hollywood Mall (opened 1964 - where Adam Walsh was abducted) and The Hollywood Fashion Center (opened around 1970). In lively, booming South Florida in the 1960's and 1970's Hollywood was quite a shopping destination. Now both malls hare gone ... demolished.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 01:55 AM

3,050 posts, read 2,513,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm with Chefkey ... in general, the majority of malls are indeed dying out. Here in the Philly area, smaller malls like the Granite Run Mall are doomed. The well known Franklin Mills Mall is actually tearing down to 1/2 it's former size and consolidating into a smaller leaner mall. You see empty stores. Depressing. So many department stores are gone like Strawbridge & Clothier, Gimbels, Wannamakers, etc. How many Macy's can you have in one mall?

As a kid growing up in suburban Hollywood, Florida - right smack in between Miami and Fort Lauderdale - we had two malls: The Hollywood Mall (opened 1964 - where Adam Walsh was abducted) and The Hollywood Fashion Center (opened around 1970). In lively, booming South Florida in the 1960's and 1970's Hollywood was quite a shopping destination. Now both malls hare gone ... demolished.
And notice the dates of when those malls were opened. Why The Powers That Be in Scranton decided to bank on a mall in the early 90s is beyond me.

When was the last time that mall was even filled to capacity with retailers? I'll bet not since the start of the century.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:50 AM

By the way, WNEP has an interesting story comparing the Mall at Steamtown to Fairgrounds Square Mall outside of Reading. If you scroll to the comments section, someone named Amanda has several good points.

The Mall At Steamtown: A Look At Fairgrounds Square Mall | WNEP.com

Fairgrounds started suffering once they put in the 222 bypass, because the traffic in that area is so congested that no one wanted to deal with it anymore. The Mall at Steamtown is suffering because why go into the city of Scranton when you could just as easily drive up to Dickson City?

There's just no need for the mall, and there never really was. Like most things in Scranton, the Mall at Steamtown arrived about a decade or two behind the trend and it has been downhill ever since.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:56 AM

3,676 posts, read 3,256,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
I don't think malls in general are dying out. Here in Northern NJ, the malls are almost impossible to even park at. Even the smaller, off the beaten path malls are crowded.
That's not 100% true. Near where I work the Ledgewood Mall is half empty and has been declining for a long time, perhaps back to the late 90's. It's a single-story mall with a small Macy's (formerly Stern's), a Marshall's, and a Wal-Mart and not much else. Next door the Roxbury Plaza (open air shopping plaza) is always busy, with Kohl's, Home Depot, Shop-Rite, and others doing a brisk business.

There are few things as depressing as a literally half-empty mall.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:07 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,829,161 times
Demographics play the biggest role in which stores decide to populate which mall. And let's face it folks, unless the demographics in Scranton change, you will never lure high-end retailers.

Dickson City is close to Clark's Summit. That area has the demographics any retailer would kill for.

Follow the Starbucks. I don't even live in Scranton so I don't know whether my hypothesis bears out. But is there a Starbucks in that mall or in downtown Scranton? I would guess not.

Where Starbucks goes, others will follow. Where Starbucks leaves, others will too.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Demographics play the biggest role in which stores decide to populate which mall. And let's face it folks, unless the demographics in Scranton change, you will never lure high-end retailers.

Dickson City is close to Clark's Summit. That area has the demographics any retailer would kill for.

Follow the Starbucks. I don't even live in Scranton so I don't know whether my hypothesis bears out. But is there a Starbucks in that mall or in downtown Scranton? I would guess not.

Where Starbucks goes, others will follow. Where Starbucks leaves, others will too.
Didn't Starbucks actually leave some locations in NEPA, including Dallas, a few years ago?

You are absolutely correct that Scranton will never lure high-end retailers. In fact, people hoping that IKEA will come that way shouldn't hold their breath, either. I don't consider IKEA high end but looking at all the people who claim they can get anything they want at Walmart, I don't think they'll want to make the jump to IKEA (Shopping at IKEA is too much like work sometimes, anyway).

Which leads to an interesting question: what would happen if the mall's owners cut their losses and just closed? It seems like the logical step but I guarantee given the leadership (or lack thereof) in Lackawanna County and Scranton in particular, that space would remain vacant forever.

Last edited by CarbonCountyLiving; 03-07-2014 at 09:27 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 08:36 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,829,161 times
Yeah, Starbucks closed nonperforming stores three or four years ago -- including one it had just opened in Stroudsburg, where I live. The other Starbucks in town, on Main Street, seems to be doing well. I guess we have the demos for one but not two

Can't speak to what the mall owners should do. But I would run way, fast.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 AM

452 posts, read 561,338 times
So how come only a scant few warn others looking to move to the area, the area is on a downward trend??? Sure, close it up, but how will that effect the cities budget from lost tax revenue. Lost jobs in the mall and the satellite jobs in the surrounding area will do wonders for a practically broke city to begin with. Keep denying it all you want, the area is sinking....

Old 03-07-2014, 09:40 AM

331 posts, read 521,189 times
Maybe we're talking about different types of malls, then. I still know a bunch of people from Tunkhannock who make the yearly trip to either Allentown or Binghamton to go shopping at a bigger mall for Christmas. The mall in Dickson City seems to get a good amount of traffic as well.

Sure there are malls closing, but most of them never had much to offer. This isn't an issue with malls in general, it's an isolated thing. If you have poor management, your store closes, whether it's a mall or not.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:10 AM

Are you talking about the Oakdale Mall? People actually travel there to do Christmas shopping? And the Lehigh Valley Mall? Seems like a waste of a trip.

Honestly, with the exception of my recent trip to Scranton, I don't think I've been in a mall other than KOP in at least two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania