U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:38 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,835,280 times

Advertisements

Hey, coming from the Poconos, the Lehigh Valley Mall is freaking awesome. Just sayin'....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 PM

2,675 posts, read 2,835,214 times
Heard a rumor that the U was lookin' at space in the ST mall ... just a third party type rumor but I figure it is 'interesting' enough to mention and will get some reaction even if untrue.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:10 PM

3,050 posts, read 2,521,006 times
To do what? I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:28 PM

708 posts, read 995,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
By the way, WNEP has an interesting story comparing the Mall at Steamtown to Fairgrounds Square Mall outside of Reading. If you scroll to the comments section, someone named Amanda has several good points.

The Mall At Steamtown: A Look At Fairgrounds Square Mall | WNEP.com

Fairgrounds started suffering once they put in the 222 bypass, because the traffic in that area is so congested that no one wanted to deal with it anymore. The Mall at Steamtown is suffering because why go into the city of Scranton when you could just as easily drive up to Dickson City?

I have to disagree here- Fairgrounds Square Mall started suffering when the quality of people declined. I wouldn't even consider walking into this mall today- Im afraid I would be attacked by a thug. It has nothing to do with the bypass- every day the roads in front of and near the Fairgrounds Mall is congested. There is plenty of traffic- the mall is just not a place where you want to stop.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:22 PM

3,050 posts, read 2,521,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
I have to disagree here- Fairgrounds Square Mall started suffering when the quality of people declined. I wouldn't even consider walking into this mall today- Im afraid I would be attacked by a thug. It has nothing to do with the bypass- every day the roads in front of and near the Fairgrounds Mall is congested. There is plenty of traffic- the mall is just not a place where you want to stop.

Where are the thugs coming from? It's been a while since I've lived near there and wasn't aware that it was in a bad neighborhood.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 AM

708 posts, read 995,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Where are the thugs coming from? It's been a while since I've lived near there and wasn't aware that it was in a bad neighborhood.
I really have no idea where they are coming from. I am guessing the surrounding areas.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:34 PM

20 posts, read 37,305 times
I checked the mall out last Saturday and thought it seemed oddly empty. This definitely explains it.

Oh well. I did get a kick out of the combined children's toy/ASCTV store lol (want a shamwow to go with that Ravensburger puzzle?)

How's the Wyoming Valley Mall?

Old 03-08-2014, 07:28 PM

525 posts, read 878,494 times
Now Boscov said if it goes under, he will buy it, the entire mall:

Boscov’s may make grab for Steamtown - Times Leader

Old 03-08-2014, 11:27 PM

3,687 posts, read 3,275,317 times
I was there today, at Boscov's, and an employee told me Al Boscov wants to buy the mall at the sheriff's sale. Lower mortgage payments means lower rent charged to tenants, and therefore potentially more tenants can afford to move in.

We'll see how it plays out over the next few months.

Didn't Al Boscov personally rescue the department store chain a few years ago by pumping family money back into it? He obviously doesn't want to see anything with the Boscov name fail.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:40 PM

42 posts, read 58,946 times
Sad to know such Scranton place going down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania