U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 5,345 times

Advertisements

It won't get better. Scranton hired a firm that would do a study that sided with the views of the city council. Mr. Amorosso said there is a possibility that they can get fiscally back on track. 1. Get credit worthiness back. 2. Pay 22 million award to police and fireman. 3. Service the 160 or so million debt at a better rate. In addition, sell off more assets. (Parking garage). Continue to raise taxes!
They will use this study to solidify their pipe dream. Raise taxes without increase in services is not a good plan. Squeezing the the tax payers more, and more to feed pensions, is going to lead to a painful demise. They will not be able to tax their way to prosperity. Listening to someone saying there is a chance to get out of this, and even including charitable sources, is like when the girl in the Jim Carey movie said "she might sleep with him if he was the last person on earth." Jim Carey responds," So you're saying there is a chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 PM

2,660 posts, read 2,826,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennaha View Post

Squeezing the the tax payers more, and more to feed pensions, is going to lead to a painful demise. They will not be able to tax their way to prosperity.

Sounds like a familiar strategy. Check out some of the governments that embarked on this path...especially in a few years.

Funny thing is, they still do and, people buy it. Their kids and grand kids will wonder what hit them.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 PM

452 posts, read 561,657 times
Almost any recovery plan will seem reasonable and feasible on paper. The problem with this one is, until you have enough people willing to pay up for the privilege to live in that sinking ship, it will only get worse. It's just like WB and Hazleton, a lost cause...

Old 03-24-2014, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 5,345 times
NY, and NJ are bad, but they are getting away with it longer because there is plenty of high paying jobs. Scranton doesn't have this luxury.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennaha View Post
NY, and NJ are bad, but they are getting away with it longer because there is plenty of high paying jobs. Scranton doesn't have this luxury.
I've been posting for a long time that the only thing that will change the downward trend occurring in NEPA is the ability to attract white collar, high paying jobs. And yes, NJ & NY are bad in a lot of areas, but where do you think the garbage from these areas a flocking to??? BTW, I grew up in NJ and have first hand knowledge of watching cities go from nice little pockets of ethnic concentrations to well, Hazleton for example. But when a person directly identifies the exact reason for the rapid decline in this forum, one gets called a racist. Libs just hate the truth.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:31 AM

693 posts, read 747,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
And yes, NJ & NY are bad in a lot of areas, but where do you think the garbage from these areas a flocking to??? .
Tennessee? Pittsburgh?

Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 AM

Tennessee???? Sure....Not where I live. The last demographic breakdown from the last census lists my county at 97.5% white alone. I like going to City Hall and paying my $250.00 YEARLY property tax without bi-lingual signs and the ability to converse with others on line without the need of a translator. But since you think you're so smart, look up the cities in TN with the highest crime rate and then look at the demographics. Don't misunderstand my point, of course we have crime where I live, but nothing to the extent of the crap in most of the places in NEPA.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:24 AM

2,660 posts, read 2,826,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
Tennessee???? Sure....Not where I live. The last demographic breakdown from the last census lists my county at 97.5% white alone. I like going to City Hall and paying my $250.00 YEARLY property tax without bi-lingual signs and the ability to converse with others on line without the need of a translator. But since you think you're so smart, look up the cities in TN with the highest crime rate and then look at the demographics. Don't misunderstand my point, of course we have crime where I live, but nothing to the extent of the crap in most of the places in NEPA.
Lackawanna and Luzerne both are near 93% and PA is substantially 'whiter' than TN. (Not that I read anything more into that but your comment triggered me to check out the stats... at Pennsylvania QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau)

Just FYI...

Old 03-25-2014, 10:48 AM

Call me crazy, but how come I've yet to see a single poster praising the wonderful benefits the recent demographic shift in Hazleton has brought around??? As a matter of fact, when a person who fit the profile of said change inquired about a place to relocate to, I told her Hazleton is the place for you and I got chastised for it. I got reprimanded by the Mod. for directing her to a crime infested city....This is the downward trend I'm talking about. And will continue.......

Old 03-27-2014, 08:16 PM

10 posts, read 9,054 times
Want to save the mall? Get out if the 1900s mindset. The area needs night clubs which cater to all groups, each their own clubs.

These young people need jobs to support their entertainment habits and yes, this means vice and that is a good thing.

If you do not give people a reason to stay in the area and a wage to buy things with, you won't sell things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania