U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:57 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,660,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogscats&chickens34 View Post
Thank you all very much. I am going to check into those other private schools online right now, and also when we visit, I will add Wyoming west public schools to the list. It will be good to see it all in person. Kingston would mean giving up my dream of backyard chickens (that can certainly wait). One of my favorite things now about where we live in NJ is that our kids can walk to school, friends homes and a few places like Starbucks etc. and feel a little independence. And we love older homes, despite their problems (current home = 1930). I wonder though, if we do a private school, would that mean that our kids' friends don't necessarily live nearby? That's a big deal - my hope for them is to be able to invite friends over a lot, make our home a hang-out spot (also so I can check out their friends). Do we need a McMansion with a pool - shudder - for our home to be a hang-out spot?
Lots to think about here. Your opinions are all valuable to me. Thanks again and keep them coming if you think of anything else.

Living in Wyoming Valley West School District, it is possible for your children to have friends who live in different towns once they hit middle school. There are 9 municipalities that are part of WVW - Courtdale, Edwardsville, Forty Fort, Larksville, Luzerne, Plymouth, Pringle, Kingston and Swoyersville. The largest distant between the district's service areas is about 6 miles.

Wyoming Seminary hosts students from all over the world. Literally every corner of the globe is represented in the student body of Sem.

Of all the west side communities, Kingston is the 2nd most walkable. Plymouth is 1st. The high school is located in Plymouth whereas the middle school is in Kingston.

Walkscore.com scores communities on their walkability. Here are the west side's scores:

Kingston - 72/100 Most errands can be done on foot

Pringle - 52/100 Some errands can be done on foot

Courtdale - 18/100 Almost all errands require a car

Swoyersville - 37/100 Almost all errands require a car

Forty Fort - 49/100 Most errands require a car

Plymouth - 78/100 Most errands can be done on foot

Larksville - 32/100 Almost all errands require a car

Edwardsville - 29/100 Almost all errands require a car

Luzerne - 60/100 Some errands can be done on foot

If you have any other questions please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 06:02 PM

These articles may be of interest to you as well. They are from today's paper.

Flood insurance cost about to skyrocket - News - Citizens' Voice

W-B, other river towns hit hard by rates - News - Citizens' Voice

Old 03-27-2014, 11:53 AM

29,625 posts, read 65,672,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
You know what, you don't live here anymore so your opinion is very marginalized by your lack of current first hand knowledge. I still find it hard to understand why you moved from this area several years ago and still make comments here like you are in the know of the area as it stands right now. You don't see me posting about how sucky Pittsburgh is. Sorry Paul but you need to tread here more lightly now.
How xenophobic---the 'ole "Youz guyz don't live here no more, so you can't have an opinion."

Old 03-27-2014, 04:51 PM

1,689 posts, read 3,107,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
How xenophobic---the 'ole "Youz guyz don't live here no more, so you can't have an opinion."
It's more like, now you left so you can start bashing. Don't let yourself become just another batch of sour grapes. You decided to move, good for you if it makes you happy. The same way I moved here and feel happy and I don't appreciate you coming in here and glory bashing. There also does come a point when your absence here renders your viewpoint inaccurate. The same way my opinion would be out of place if I wrote about Philly where I lived for 8 years but have now been away from for 10 years. If I were to go in there and start saying negative things I could very likely be wrong in my assessment since a lot could have changed. It's just not a welcome thing to do but if it makes you happy, have at it. Just don't expect me to stand by watching you bash and say nothing.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:35 PM

452 posts, read 561,382 times
"It's more like, now you left so you can start bashing." So, if by telling people the climate is miserable, horrible job market, no culture of any real value, mediocre at best restaurants and food, rising crime rate, an influx of government dependent people moving in, uncontrollable rise in gangs and drugs, double digit tax increases with little or no end in sight bashing.....You're Right!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2014, 06:52 PM

1,689 posts, read 3,107,670 times
I no longer pay attention to your rhetoric Trips but debating Paul is worth it because I know he has the ability to be level headed.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:41 PM

452 posts, read 561,382 times
Really??? Point out one statement I made that was inaccurate. And if you no longer pay attention to me, why did you reply???? You just can't face the fact NEPA is basically a turd being flushed and you will only entertain interactions with other like minded individuals that also are in denial to that fact.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:39 AM

I completely disagree with your assessment of the arts and dining in our area. You need to get out more.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogscats&chickens34 View Post
Hello All, I had posted a few days ago regarding our move, this summer to NEPA for jobs at Geisinger WB. We have kids going into 9th and 6th grades, so we were steered to Dallas and Abington school districts...but someone at Geisinger brought up a different option - a nice, older home in Kingston at much less cost than Dallas or Clarks Summit, and the possibility of the Wyoming Seminary school (we are told they are generous with financial aid esp. if you have more than 1 child attending). What if we save money on housing and put it into a private school?

After reading older threads about Kingston, here's what appeals to us: Older homes with charm and sidewalks. Affordable housing. Professors and gay couples=open minded folk. Proximity to WB downtown and shopping. Maybe not having to drive great distances for everything?

Worries: (aside from not being able to afford Wyoming Sem!) Is there a genuine flood risk in Kingston? Is it safe for my kids to walk and ride bikes in the town? Resale of house down the line in a not-so-great public school system? Also, smaller yards (we have 2 dogs).

This Kingston option is a whole new way of thinking -- can anyone, especially those living in Kingston currently or recently, direct us in this decision?

And I will be painfully honest here...one of my worries about Dallas or Abington areas was being isolated in a cul-de-sac filled with Stepford wives. We don't need the McMansion....just decent, welcoming neighbors who might want to come over for dinner and conversation sometime.

Many thanks in advance for some honest insight!
I am originally from what is colloquially known as "the Wyoming Valley" of which, Kingston is a part. I moved away a number of years ago but still have family and friends there and return to the area often.

IMO, the key to understanding this area is to learn a little about its history and its ethnic and cultural roots. Lifestyles in the valley range from that of wealth and luxury to mind boggling poverty. It is an incredible area that perpetually teeters on the cusp of terrible failure and great potential.

You will likely meet people unlike any other - in the valley, you'll get the whole kaboodle: characters and criminals and philanthropists and everyday neighbors. You'll never be too sure if you love the place or hate it. It will vary by the day and whether you've hit the potholes or dodged them successfully.

In the valley, you'll see generations old European immigrants mixing with today's more common Eastern European and Latin and South American immigrants. The valley is a sad and funny and always quirky place. One thing is constant though, it is always interesting if you care to learn about its history and why the place is the way it is.

Some quick historical points:
The Wyoming Valley, and Wyoming the town lent their name to Wyoming the state after a Scottish poet wrote about a massacre that after the British and Iriquois attacked the townspeople of Wyoming. Several senators impressed with the poem petitioned for the new state that is Wyoming to be named in honor of it.

Connecticut had a claim on the area and invaded the area. Wilkes-Barre iwas settled by people from Connecticut.

Planters peanuts got its start in Wilkes-Barre.

Many of the towns tucked in between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre have their own ethnicity after European immigrants arrived to work the area's mines and settled into towns whose citizens had a common history.

After several mine disasters, mining as an industry died in the area after which, manufacturing took over. The death of the unions and outsourcing killed manufacturing in the area during the 80s and early 90s giving rise to the retail chains and low income jobs.

If there is one word to describe the condition of the workforce in the Wyoming Valley for at least the last 75 to 100 years, that word would be: exploited.

Both the old somewhat self segregated immigrants and the exploitation of the people of the area has lead to a peoples resistant to change and suspicious of outsiders. If you haven't suffered with them in their history, then you are viewed as someone likely to be there for negative reasons.

As you can see, the Valley has a history and a exists in a spectrum from the best to the worst. To me, the area and the people are endlessly fascinating.

Some great things: tons of shopping both chains and mom and pop. Great food of all sorts ESPECIALLY Old Forge pizza. Good healthcare outlets and a good variety of higher education institutions are available. There are lots of church and fireman's fund raising picnics and a good variety of big ticket entertainments are available. Nature is always right nearby. There is wide variety of interesting historical attractions and architecture available. Most of the people are of the blue collar, can do variety.

Some bad things: scarred land and scarred people and an interminably slow rate of healing for both. A view (although rapidly dying) that the land is to be exploited rather than appreciated, terrible roads and mediocre to bad governance, drugs, horrible mass transit.

This one can be good or bad depending on what you need: the place has a very funny relationship with "the law". The people seem to take it as more of a guideline or a suggestion rather than a hard and fast rule. "Permits? We don't need no stinking permits!"

But seriously, I think that the attitude towards the law does help to keep the politicians from getting too carried away with trying to legislate their way to a bureaucratic utopia.

That's it for me. Hope this helps.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:43 PM

2,656 posts, read 2,823,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Tree_Hill View Post

That's it for me. Hope this helps.
Well done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania