U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:00 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,314,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I don't like what he has done to the city and the residents and honestly if he cared about the zoo for real do you think that it would this way right now. He loves that "restoring the pride", but where is he when the zoo needs him. Where is the pride for the zoo. The point it is he let it go to crap and now he is the white knight coming into to save the zoo. Its his fault in the first place. Its really that simple, he is the one with the power to fix it and he did nothing.

First it's too much of our tax dollars to fix it, then it's 'why doesn't he spend the money?' PICK YOUR ARGUMENT. 18% of the housing market is open? Try Scranton and the rest of the country, because last time I checked real estate is bad everywhere. You forget that Genesis IS NOT OWNED BY THE CITY, it is a private operation using a city facility. So while Doherty can improve he building all he wants, the city really has no control over how the place is run.

But then you must know this, you apparently know everything. Do I have to quote you? First it will never work, then a month later we see an editorial and several letters, proving that yes, it will work. Of course, you claim you knew it all along. I wish you told me so, I wouldn't have wasted all my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 03:10 PM

325 posts, read 554,141 times
[quote=weluvpa;2612222]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbs7 View Post

It hasn't helped thus far. Close to 680 homes on the market in Scranton. Thats about 18% of the homes.

We have invested enough in the future of the city $650,000,000 and have nothing to show for it but a treehouse and bridge. It won't matter after the election just like it didn't matter last year. It only matters between now and May and then November of 09'.

Now who do you think would be on that commission that has any experience in Zoo's? Those letters like the letters of the infamous Lou Cameron who does not exist did not come from out of state they are just locally written to follow up for the editorial to help build the interest for Doherty to act upon.
The times is just setting it up for the mayor to come in and save the day. Honestly its just a tug at the heart strings of the voters. I understand your concerns as well as Scrantonluna but the current gov't in Scranton is the SOLE reason that the zoo is the way it is so why do think that they would do this? If it wasn't election time it wouldn't matter and I tell you this he will campaign on the zoo but that does not mean that he will do anything but a spit shine on it. Whether you like what I have to say or not its truth. If they really cared it would not be the way it is. Thats the reality of it. Sorry.
Okay...I think we just need to really calm down and take a deep breath here. As it happens, I know the author of one of the letters to the editor and I can assure you that she does not live in Scranton and further, that her letter was nothing more or less than a genuine, heartfelt attempt to improve conditions at the zoo. I suspect the same is true of the second letter. Please bear in mind that making unfounded accusations will not help anything.

Again, I appreciate your concern and involvement in this issue, and I agree that it may, in fact, be impossible for the city to improve the zoo, in which case the facility should be shut down. But since we currently do seem to have raised public awareness about the issue, I think that now would be a good time to focus on asking the city to establish a commission to study possible solutions. If a good zoo can be established, it will last for years and years and span many, many administrations--including, perhaps, some administration of which you may actually approve. And if the commission finds that there is no reasonable way to establish and maintain a decent zoo at Nay Aug, then we will have some facts to use if we wish to argue that the zoo should be closed.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:20 PM

21 posts, read 31,443 times
Default Well!

"Yes you have gotten interest in the zoo and a few letters in the paper. Thats great what you are doing is good, but what I trying to say is that it will not be good for the animals."

Just for the record: you can all rest assured that my letter and the research that I've posted on this thread are independent!

Actually, my letter to the editor has been held up for almost two weeks--I made mention of our forum here, which the editor strongly preferred not to cite. I also failed to include my phone number. 'Nuf said.

As I stated in the letter, a strategic plan is needed, which does discuss long-term possiblities for the animals, but FOCUSES on the immediate, CHEAP, no-brainers to care for animals currently housed at Genesis Wildlife Center.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:31 PM

325 posts, read 554,141 times
Default Immediate improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander_helj View Post
"

As I stated in the letter, a strategic plan is needed, which does discuss long-term possiblities for the animals, but FOCUSES on the immediate, CHEAP, no-brainers to care for animals currently housed at Genesis Wildlife Center.

Good point about the immediate, cheap ways to improve care for the animals at GWC. While I do believe we need the commission to study long-range solutions, I also think there is no excuse to delay on those improvements that can be made right away--like attempting to place animals elsewhere whenever possible, making sure animals are neutered to prevent additional overcrowding, removing candy from the animals' diets, observing stricter rules about safety and cleanliness, etc.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 PM

45 posts, read 87,236 times
hey weluvpa, the center never went without water and city workers spent long hours making sure that the animals had everything they needed. stop listening to people that don't know what they're talking about. this woman came to the city with her proposition, not the other way around.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,852,546 times
Really when I brought some water to them last year I didn't see anyone from the city and I was told that they were not there either. It was done by volunteers. Hey Vince why not stay over there on DD or PD or wherever you call home. It has to be hard to live with yourself and continue to tell yourself all those little lies that make it easier being a over pimped puppet of the Doherty admin huh.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:49 PM

45 posts, read 87,236 times
no more so than you i guess. moved back to town for what?? why didn't you stay where you were? because you actually like it here and your family is here. stop being such a whiner and help instead of hurt. no one can talk to you. why don't you run for mayor?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,254,308 times
He already has my vote.

Hello, Public Safety Director's office!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:11 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,852,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceWhirlwind View Post
no more so than you i guess. moved back to town for what?? why didn't you stay where you were? because you actually like it here and your family is here. stop being such a whiner and help instead of hurt. no one can talk to you. why don't you run for mayor?
No one can talk to me? Have you tried? I'm in the book bud just pick it up and look it up and call me if you want to talk. Just don't roll in here with your whole 3 posts and get on my case. Certainly don't follow the lead of my future Public Works Director.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:16 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,254,308 times
If you're referring to me, I'm your future Public SAFETY Director. Don't worry, we'll get you a seating chart for the cabinet meetings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania