Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:26 PM

170 posts, read 875,033 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Florida and would like to move back to the northeast. I am hearing real horror stories about crime in the Poconos, like gangs in gated communities etc. I was recently up in the Milford area which is beautiful and quaint, but crowded. Does anyone know of the communities or specific areas to stay away from? How is Hemlock Farms? I also looked in Doylestown, Chalfont and Quakertown. It is very difficult to make this move blindly. Thanks for any info, I would really appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 01:51 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,878,315 times
Hi Fallgirl -

Here's an article on the Monroe County crime in the Pocono's. It appears there's some trouble in Wayne County, too, but they seem to be dealing better with it, according to what I've read. Sorry, I don't know either area (only Luzerne County), so perhaps others can answer specific town q's for you.

Best of luck in your research/relocation!
Baltic_Celt

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,207225,00.html

Here's a discussion on this forum on the same subject:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/penns...e-poconos.html

Old 10-23-2006, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 27,245 times
I live in that area. Can only give you my opinion. I'm not particularly fond of the Monroe County area. There are some nice areas in Monroe, but it is true many of the developments have a lot of problems. Hemlock Farms is a nice community. I have family that lives there and grew up living there many years ago. Wallenpaupack school district really doesn't have too many problems as a whole. I'm familiar with some of the problems in Wayne County and know from speaking with co-workers that the school district is very (if not overly) aggressive in taking a pro-active role. As a whole life is peaceful. I personally would avoid "some" of the communities, but there are plenty that don't have any problems beyond what you would expect in any community. I suggest not limiting yourself to gated communities, as there are many beautiful areas/neighborhoods here. I think the biggest problem in many gated communities is there ends up being a lot of kids that are used to living in more populated areas that end up plain "bored" and forced to find ways to keep themselves entertained.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:09 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,018,861 times
Milford is in Pike County and as far as I know, gang-related issues in Pike County are very minimal. Crime in Pike County overall is extremely low. If you consider a town like Milford too crowded for your tastes, I would avoid the gated communities altogether and find a home outside of an HOA. Keep in mind "the poconos" cover a large area, including some towns with high crime and some towns as peaceful as a town can possibly be.

I went to junior high and high school in Pike County; I lived in Dingmans Ferry and not in a gated community. Honestly, some of the communities did have cliques of bratty, troublemaking kids, just as any neighborhood will. The advantage of living outside of a gated community is that the homes are more spread out, so it is more difficult for such kids to get together and wreak havoc. The disadvantage is that there is no central place for kids to hang out (like a clubhouse) and it is hard for kids to walk to each other's homes, because the homes are spread out and there are few if any sidewalks. However if kids have parents that are involved in their lives and work to ensure their kids have social outlets, it's not an issue.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:25 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,078,596 times
Try up here in Shohola...about 10 minutes from Milford.

Even Milford is not too bad, a little busy in the summer but now it is quiet...

I have been round the block so to speak and am very street smart. I see no concern about Milford. There are some nice homes off Frenchtown rd and Raymondskill that are out of community - ask your realtor if there are still some for sale.

The school district has a good reputation.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:27 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,557,536 times
Smile we are moving from Florida back to the N.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallgirl View Post
I am currently living in Florida and would like to move back to the northeast. I am hearing real horror stories about crime in the Poconos, like gangs in gated communities etc. I was recently up in the Milford area which is beautiful and quaint, but crowded. Does anyone know of the communities or specific areas to stay away from? How is Hemlock Farms? I also looked in Doylestown, Chalfont and Quakertown. It is very difficult to make this move blindly. Thanks for any info, I would really appreciate any feedback.
We looked all over up in the Lake Wallenpaupack area and west to the Scranton and north up to Northern Wayne and Susquehanna Counties.
We finally decided to purchase a piece of property in Pike County.
We are going to be in a nice community and it will not be far from shopping.
The township is Lackawaxen Twp.
It is very peaceful up that way and a bit too far for the NY/NJ commuters.
Hope that helps you!

Old 10-23-2006, 09:45 PM

Thanks for your response. I am familiar with Shahola. We use to have a place in Pond Eddy you may know it. It was on Rte 97 and called the COOP.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't think Milford is necessarily too crowded for my taste but everything that the realtors showed us was not Milford proper but actually Dingmans Ferry or another area with a Milford mailing address.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
We looked all over up in the Lake Wallenpaupack area and west to the Scranton and north up to Northern Wayne and Susquehanna Counties.
We finally decided to purchase a piece of property in Pike County.
We are going to be in a nice community and it will not be far from shopping.
The township is Lackawaxen Twp.
It is very peaceful up that way and a bit too far for the NY/NJ commuters.
Hope that helps you!

Thanks for the info.
Fallgirl

Old 10-24-2006, 07:56 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,557,536 times
You are quite welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania