U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 AM

13,211 posts, read 10,613,277 times

Advertisements

I do like to watch the Food Network. I even like to watch Diners-Drive-ins-and-Dives: Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives : Food Network.

Guy Fieri takes us across the US and finds places with great and unusual taste. My area is loaded with commuters from NJ and NY - try to find one great NY delis! Even most of our pizzas have no distinctive taste or style. Many of the little delis have shut down because of the competition from the supermarkets. Many pizza stores cannot compete with the national (homogenous) chains. How about great sub places that make great grinders/melts and have the freshest ingredients?

Perhaps we should spotlight our better delis and local pizza places? I know that we have other threads on pizzas - I am looking for ones that really stand out and have a distinctive taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:23 PM

6,228 posts, read 7,416,038 times
OMG fish! I can't believe you said that! Trying to stir up the Pizza Wars? You better duck. lol

I'm not a pizza person. Eat it very rarely. But I do have a favorite place and they also make a good hoagie. No Dominos, no Little Sleazers, and I lived in NEPA for 32 years before I ever had Old Forge pizza.

There's an independent shop near my home and it's owned and operated by a family from Italy. When I first started going there, they had a Mom and Pop operation, with assistance from their high school aged daughter and their pre-pubescent son. That son now runs the shop, is married and has four children of his own. They close for a month every Summer (I think they go to Italy). Anyway, I like their pie, the hoagies are okay, (not quite as good as my "favorite place"). Just goes to show that longevity depends on quality of product.

Now a good New York style deli would add so much to QOL.

In this area (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and environs) the pierogi and potato pancake seem to be the most popular items at fairs/bazaars/church picnics. I can't explain that. But I would defend "your" right to consume same. I grew up on Toad in the Hole, and Bubble and Squeak, and codfish cakes on Friday. I can't explain that, either.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:25 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,831,948 times
Momentos. Hole-in-the-wall storefront in a strip mall across from the Chevy dealership next to the Stroud Mall. Guy is a NYC chef. Wonderful Italian dishes. Haven't tried the pizza, but for Italian food, it's the best in town.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:36 PM

693 posts, read 748,102 times
I almost never get pizza anymore. While I like most every pizza, none stand out. Andy's is a little bit different. I get that once in a while. If I want a good deli, I go to Abe's in Scranton. It is kosher though, so no Reuben.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:46 PM

13,211 posts, read 10,613,277 times
Yes we do have a few places. But would you recommend any to be represented on that Food Network program? I'm looking for great flavors/quantity and quality. Places that are widely known and hard to get in the front door.

I'll have to get down to that NYC chef across from Grey Chevrolet.

I personally love great 'grinders' or melts - especially if they have the right, fresh, ingredients. I used to go to an Italian restaurant up by Waterbury, Conn. that made great grinders. I know that you can get a melt at Subway and some of the restaurants around town - but not like the ones in Waterbury (that I know of).

By the way Theater; we have great pizza wars down here in the Poconos. It wasn't too long ago that one restaurant tried to burn out another one! They don't just throw pies at each other down here! I think the one man is serving a little time over that pizza war.

PS We have always loved the home made ring baloney at Sobers Meat Market: http://www.yellowpages.com/saylorsbu...market-5850722. It comes out of their smoker on Tuesday - so late Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning are great times to buy.

Last edited by fisheye; 03-18-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 01:52 PM

3,136 posts, read 2,642,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I grew up on Toad in the Hole, and Bubble and Squeak, and codfish cakes on Friday. I can't explain that, either.
Did you grow up in the UK by any chance? Speaking of UK cuisine, I note with sadness the passing of Clarissa Dickson Wright one half of the "Fat Ladies" cooking show.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:11 PM

6,228 posts, read 7,416,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Did you grow up in the UK by any chance? Speaking of UK cuisine, I note with sadness the passing of Clarissa Dickson Wright one half of the "Fat Ladies" cooking show.
lol No, but I lived with my English-born grandparents and so had a lot of the traditional dishes.

I loved the Two Fat Ladies. They reminded me of my great-aunt, also a Brit.

I had a post ready to submit and it disappeared. Where do they go?!? Anyway, I guess it wasn't insightful enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or