U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 06:08 PM

5 posts, read 4,614 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are new to PA, purchased a home in the Mount Pocohontas Development in Albrightsville. Does anyone know anything about gang activity around there? I researched it before we made this move and there seems to be none as far as I can tell. I am nervous because of all the horrible things I read about gangs in Monroe County in Stroudsburg, Tobyhanna, etc. Also, has anyone had any experiences with the Jim Thorpe School District? Our 9 year old is supposed to attend the Penn Kidder Campus. I read mixed reviews. Is Pleasant Valley better? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 06:13 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,388,093 times
I live a few miles from MT. Pochohantas. Being originally from the Bronx I'm familiar with overt gang activity signs of which I have not seen in the Albrightsville/JT area. I can't speak specifically to your development, though.

As for schools, I don't have children but the Penn Kidder school on 903 is a beautiful campus- building and grounds appear well maintained. I have spoken with neighbors,products of private schooling in the tri-state area, who are pleased with the education their children are receiving. I think like most other public schools,it's much about parental involvement and the kid.

Congratulations on your move.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:35 PM

5 posts, read 4,614 times
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, are your neighbors children attending private school or are they happy with the education their children are receiving at the Penn Kidder School? I do know that it is really up to your child and parental involvement which I am very involved in my daughter's school/education so I am hoping it will be good.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 PM

431 posts, read 521,209 times
Be a parent. Do not let the streets of any inner city, town, woods, development or school district raise your kids. You be your childs role model and be involved in their daily activities and care and show interests in whatever positive things they are into. Steer them away from the negativity that can hinder them with knowledge instead of "because you say so". Let them take their lumps sometimes do not over protect them and no matter where you raise your kids they will turn out to be productive citizens.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,388,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2pa1026 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, are your neighbors children attending private school or are they happy with the education their children are receiving at the Penn Kidder School? I do know that it is really up to your child and parental involvement which I am very involved in my daughter's school/education so I am hoping it will be good.
3 of the families I spoke with had children in the Penn Kidder school. A 4th has their children at St. Joseph 's in JT for religious reasons. They felt it was easier to roll secular education with religious instruction in one rather than have to separate, after school hours instruction for the kids sacraments. They said their oldest will be heading to JT high school next year since the sacrament end of it is now complete.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:25 PM

104 posts, read 141,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2pa1026 View Post
I am nervous because of all the horrible things I read about gangs in Monroe County in Stroudsburg, Tobyhanna, etc.
You mean horrible things from these message boards, or from actual news sources?

Just curious whether you're seeing current headlines about serious gang activity in Stroudsburg right now. There have been a handful of articles in the Pocono Record over the years about gang activity increasing (the latest was maybe 2 years ago) but that's all I've ever read. There is some gang presence here, I'm sure, but that's true for just about anywhere.

Since you've already made the move, talk to your neighbors and the security team for your community, if you have one. I think you will find that reassuring, and if there are any problem areas, they will let you know what to watch out for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or