U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Who has the most corrupt politics?
Wilkes-Barre/Luzerne County 7 53.85%
Scranton/Lackawanna County 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2007, 07:29 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,809,601 times
Default Corrupt Politics

Members of the City Data Forums, who has the most corrupt politics?

Wilkes-Barre/Luzerne County or Scranton/Lackawanna County
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 07:33 PM

25,848 posts, read 44,078,454 times
I think it's a draw. Folks in Scranton/Lackawanna County are just much more vocal and uptight about it whereas folks here in Wilkes-Barre/Luzerne County take the more laid-back approach to things, figuring that nothing we can do will ever create honest government.

As we've also seen in recent elections, ignorance is bliss, as most incumbents were voted back into office by a landslide while these same folks bemoan and gripe about the incumbents day-in and day-out. For the life of me I don't know what was going through the minds of those who voted to re-elect Greg Skrepenak, especially now that he waited one week after his re-election to release the severity of the county's financial conditions, which he obviously knew beforehand. Add the debit card scandal on top of this, along with recent Luzerne County politicians being arrested for DUIs and trying to use their "pull" to get out of them (cough...John Adonizio...cough), and politics in Luzerne County are just as bad as they are in Lackawanna County.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:34 PM

I voted for Luzerne County in the end because the seeming apathy amongst voters here in relation to those in Lackawanna County makes it a more favorable environment here for these fat cats to get away with their corruption.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:05 PM

From what I heard today, the FBI might be sticking its collective nose into Luzerne county politics. Can the same be said for Lackawanna?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
From what I heard today, the FBI might be sticking its collective nose into Luzerne county politics. Can the same be said for Lackawanna?
According to Mr. Ray Lyman, "da Fedral Attornee Genral and da ACLU" are currently investigating Scranton based upon his appearances at the Scranton city council podium.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:12 AM

2,938 posts, read 776,491 times
Its a dead heat, but I'll give the nod to Luzerne County...especially in light of the debit card fiasco. Plus the fact that Luzerne County voters apprently see a past football "career" to be enough experience to run a county government.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:14 AM

2,938 posts, read 776,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I think it's a draw. Folks in Scranton/Lackawanna County are just much more vocal and uptight about it whereas folks here in Wilkes-Barre/Luzerne County take the more laid-back approach to things, figuring that nothing we can do will ever create honest government.

That's probably a major part of the problem. Luzerne County residents are more apathetic to corrupt politicians than Lackawanna County residents.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:12 PM

15 posts, read 31,539 times
I live in Luzerne County and I would probably agree that we have the more corrupt government, but only because we allow it to happen..... For the life of me, I can't understand how anyone could have voted for the "football player" a second time. I did not vote for Makowksy and Pizzano Juniors the first time (Skrep and Vonderheid) and I most certainly did not vote for them this time.... what is it about the majority of people who live here? can they not read the papers and see what those jokers are doing or not doing?

and you are correct about the debit card fiasco..... Skrep made a hotel reservation over the phone using his county debit card and thought the hotel "understood" he wanted his children's roooms on his personal card.... DUH!!!!! and the worst part of that statement is that many people will believe him....

Old 12-08-2007, 08:37 AM

When the whole debit card thing broke, the debit cards were suppose to be issued to people who didn't have personal credit cards. If that was the case, how did skrep and hyder get confused between the county and personal card.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,762 times
(Kids 4 Kash): Danielle Ross, Guardian, Atty. Nancy Barresse and crony Tom Lewis caught in dirty custody deal - Scranton "Political" Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania