U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2014, 06:15 AM
Status: "The Moral Monopolist" (set 28 days ago)
 
22,953 posts, read 15,965,927 times
Reputation: 13624

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
Thanks for the info Magritte25 I'd love to just go look at the town. I love old towns

In my opinion, Plymouth is a cute town. On Main Street, you'll find a library, a grocery store, several pizza shops, one or two sandwich shops, a poultry shop, an antique store, a sporting goods store and several bars. If I had to name a bad part of town it would be the east near the Carey Avenue Bridge. As you head west on Route 11 South you'll notice the neighborhoods get nicer. Plymouth Township, which is also on Route 11, is very nice. Many nice homes with good sized yards and still walkable to the downtown area. The relatives I mentioned live in the town of Plymouth towards the western section.

If you have any other questions, let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2014, 06:38 AM
 
Location: united states
14 posts, read 13,299 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
Was wondering if anyone had information on Plymouth Pa? If you were retiring with a $72,000 a year income can you be more then comfortable there? The neighbors and neighborhoods? The crime? Stores? Schools? I'm juspretty nice gonna keep my options open at this point but I was curious about this house I saw there looked pretty nice and it had natural gas heat and hot water, 6 car garage...
I can't believe you would think about retiring in Plymouth? I drove through the area numerous times visiting friends in Kingston and Wyoming and in fact have several acquaintances there and NO ONE would ever retire there I went to a bar on Main Street with a friend and saw a person getting beat up by several people I called the police and when they arrived the people were gone, except the injured party. Stay out of this area. On $72,000 a year, you will feel like a millionaire there. Try somewhere like Dallas, Mountain Top, Wyoming or even the Poconos. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 AM
 
32,738 posts, read 32,425,519 times
Reputation: 12786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
I didn't really expect there to be people in Plymouth Pa making big money. I figured it was people barely making it because of the job wages in that area of Pa. A good part of Pa flourished when railroad and coal was needed in America.
The coal industry in this area has been in decline since the 1920's, it's really not been a factor since the 60's. It still exists but the coal here is anthracite and it's expensive to mine and there is only market for it in home heating and industrial uses.


Quote:
I always had this feeling the communities were stronger, people more proud of where they came from then big city folk.
The problem that Plymouth and many of these smaller towns are facing is as I already mentioned small homes that are tightly packed. Not many people interested in them and they end up getting sold to landlords often going to section 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 09:30 AM
 
32,738 posts, read 32,425,519 times
Reputation: 12786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
a sporting goods store
I don't know if there is another that replaced it but Sports-Jes is no longer there. Fleet Decal which is owned by the sons took over the whole building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 10:04 AM
 
17,453 posts, read 16,840,256 times
Reputation: 20976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
There are more storefronts occupied in Plymouth than other towns. The elementary school closed 2-3 years ago when the district consolidated and built a new elementary school in Larksville. Perhaps you should take a drive through Plymouth in this decade before you advise someone not to move there.
I don't have to go there; my friend works there. When I ask him how things are going in Plymouth, he rolls his eyes and says, "Don't ask". Then, he tells me what it's like to run a business in town.

I don't know anyone, have never known anyone, who saved so that they could one day move to Plymouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Hanover , Virginia
326 posts, read 470,526 times
Reputation: 218
Wow, I have a totally different experience with Plymouth than Magritte. I used to drive through it every weekend and I found it to be the most depressing, beaten down town out of the entire valley. I haven't been there in a few years, but I have friends in the area (Pringle, Kingston) who have never had a good word to say about it.


That said, I don't think it'd be horrible for a retiree. There's nothing special about it, but I don't think it's dangerous or anything. It's another town where you get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Status: "The Moral Monopolist" (set 28 days ago)
 
22,953 posts, read 15,965,927 times
Reputation: 13624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't have to go there; my friend works there. When I ask him how things are going in Plymouth, he rolls his eyes and says, "Don't ask". Then, he tells me what it's like to run a business in town.

I don't know anyone, have never known anyone, who saved so that they could one day move to Plymouth.

Meh. I'll take residents' opinions and my own observations of being a frequent visitor over the last 20 years over someone who hasn't been in the town for nearly a decade and someone who doesn't live there at all.

So you have never known anyone to save to move to Plymouth? Ok. I know several couples and families who saved and bought homes in Plymouth. They are raising their families there and are very happy. I also know several financially comfortable retirees who live near the Plymouth/Plymouth Township line who have no plans on moving away.

Your view of Plymouth isn't very reliable since you have very little firsthand knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Status: "The Moral Monopolist" (set 28 days ago)
 
22,953 posts, read 15,965,927 times
Reputation: 13624
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
Wow, I have a totally different experience with Plymouth than Magritte. I used to drive through it every weekend and I found it to be the most depressing, beaten down town out of the entire valley. I haven't been there in a few years, but I have friends in the area (Pringle, Kingston) who have never had a good word to say about it.


That said, I don't think it'd be horrible for a retiree. There's nothing special about it, but I don't think it's dangerous or anything. It's another town where you get what you pay for.

I'm sorry to hear that.

OP as you can see you will have to find people who actually live in town, lived there previously or actually visit the town on a regular basis to get a fair perspective of Plymouth. Take the advice from people who haven't been in the town for years or who've merely driven through it with a grain of salt.

I've felt Plymouth has gotten an unfair shake for years because it was always more of a working class, blue collar area as opposed to its more white collar neighbors Kingston and Forty Fort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2014, 11:26 PM
 
Location: united states
14 posts, read 13,299 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that.

OP as you can see you will have to find people who actually live in town, lived there previously or actually visit the town on a regular basis to get a fair perspective of Plymouth. Take the advice from people who haven't been in the town for years or who've merely driven through it with a grain of salt.

I've felt Plymouth has gotten an unfair shake for years because it was always more of a working class, blue collar area as opposed to its more white collar neighbors Kingston and Forty Fort.

Contact the police and you will see that it isn't safe. I went a polish festival with friends and there were loud and obnoxious thugs there brandishing knives to threaten some people did not seem to belong there according to them. Take that any way you want. I would thoroughly check out the area, but from stories I got from friends and others I would NEVER retire there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Status: "The Moral Monopolist" (set 28 days ago)
 
22,953 posts, read 15,965,927 times
Reputation: 13624
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepi249 View Post
Contact the police and you will see that it isn't safe. I went a polish festival with friends and there were loud and obnoxious thugs there brandishing knives to threaten some people did not seem to belong there according to them. Take that any way you want. I would thoroughly check out the area, but from stories I got from friends and others I would NEVER retire there.
I don't need to contact the police. I know people who have lived there for decades and I'm a frequent visitor. They are happy living there. There is crime everywhere, you cannot avoid it. The retirement capital of the country - Florida - has a ton of crime as well.

A drunk driver just plowed through a bunch of people at SXSW last month. It doesn't mean the whole area is terrible. It means some people are just *******s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top