U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 AM

17,441 posts, read 16,833,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Meh. I'll take residents' opinions and my own observations of being a frequent visitor over the last 20 years over someone who hasn't been in the town for nearly a decade and someone who doesn't live there at all.

So you have never known anyone to save to move to Plymouth? Ok. I know several couples and families who saved and bought homes in Plymouth. They are raising their families there and are very happy. I also know several financially comfortable retirees who live near the Plymouth/Plymouth Township line who have no plans on moving away.

Your view of Plymouth isn't very reliable since you have very little firsthand knowledge.
I am, perhaps, looking at this in a different way than you are. I think that Sarge is looking for a Mayberry-like town in which to raise his daughter. He wouldn't just be buying a house, he'd be buying the police department, the fire department, the ratables, taxes, schools, politicians.

I've lived in a few other states and a foreign country; what's your frame of reference?

On my watch, Sarge isn't moving to Plymouth.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM

684 posts, read 657,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepi249 View Post
Contact the police and you will see that it isn't safe. I went a polish festival with friends and there were loud and obnoxious thugs there brandishing knives to threaten some people did not seem to belong there according to them. Take that any way you want. I would thoroughly check out the area, but from stories I got from friends and others I would NEVER retire there.
I went to the kielbasa festival last year and enjoyed it very much. Were there loud people? Sure. Did I see any knives? Sure. How else are they going to cut the kielbasa. I thought the town was cute and have been back down a couple times sinc then. Of course it is only 45 mins away from where I live, so it is not a big deal for me to go there. Not the greatest town in NEPA, but a LONG way away from the worst.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:52 PM

22,953 posts, read 15,962,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I am, perhaps, looking at this in a different way than you are. I think that Sarge is looking for a Mayberry-like town in which to raise his daughter. He wouldn't just be buying a house, he'd be buying the police department, the fire department, the ratables, taxes, schools, politicians.

I've lived in a few other states and a foreign country; what's your frame of reference?

On my watch, Sarge isn't moving to Plymouth.
My frame of reference is actual firsthand experience with the town in question.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:11 PM

14 posts, read 13,292 times
It seems that you have lived in numerous low class neighborhoods like Wilkes Barre and Plymouth. Margarite have you lived in other depressing towns in NEPA, because these are two of the worst. What about Edwardsville, any comments on that? I've seen some of your previous posts and you seem to like trash like neighborhoods. Are you doing the NEPA all world trash tour? No one in their right mind would have Plymouth as a retirement destination place except maybe the local cemetery.

Last edited by thepi249; 04-01-2014 at 03:21 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 03:42 PM

32,718 posts, read 32,414,636 times
Quote:
No one in their right mind would have Plymouth as a retirement destination place except maybe the local cemetery.
Maybe you could get a spot next to Mary Jo Kopechne? (yea I know it's in Larksville)

Plymouth is not the greatest place but it's not the worse either and certainly you can pick up a decent house fairly cheap if that is what you are looking for. There is still a lot of nice neighborhoods....

Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
It seems that you have lived in numerous low class neighborhoods like Wilkes Barre and Plymouth. Margarite have you lived in other depressing towns in NEPA, because these are two of the worst. What about Edwardsville, any comments on that? I've seen some of your previous posts and you seem to like trash like neighborhoods. Are you doing the NEPA all world trash tour? No one in their right mind would have Plymouth as a retirement destination place except maybe the local cemetery.

Its M-A-G-R-I-T-T-E. If you are going to insult someone it would be smart to get their name correct.

I have no clue what you mean by "liking trash in neighborhoods" and since you couldn't be bothered to explain yourself in any sort of logical way I'll have to leave it at that.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My frame of reference is actual firsthand experience with the town in question.
You don't live there, yet you discount the experience of a shop owner who has worked there for decades. He's had to have intoxicated people removed from the front door area, clean up urine, feces and graffiti. There are some very untidy dumpster divers in town and those who like to drop their trash behind his store. I'm pretty sure that there was only one break-in before the security system went in.

Yardley is a cute little town. Carmel, CA is a cute little town. Plymouth, not so much.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You don't live there, yet you discount the experience of a shop owner who has worked there for decades. He's had to have intoxicated people removed from the front door area, clean up urine, feces and graffiti. There are some very untidy dumpster divers in town and those who like to drop their trash behind his store. I'm pretty sure that there was only one break-in before the security system went in.

Yardley is a cute little town. Carmel, CA is a cute little town. Plymouth, not so much.
You merely said he worked in the town and offered nothing else until now.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:04 PM

29,078 posts, read 61,232,858 times
Plymouth is ugly, but it's perfectly fine. I don't know why so few residents there actually spend money to renovate their homes and make them appear more presentable, though.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:12 PM

You're right; I didn't. What I meant was if a business owner won't live in a town where he works, that there is something amiss. The current owner lives in Wilkes-Barre, previous owner in Bear Creek. I have no idea where pops lived.

*response to Magritte's post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania