Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 AM

472 posts, read 778,608 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if anyone had information on Plymouth Pa? If you were retiring with a $72,000 a year income can you be more then comfortable there? The neighbors and neighborhoods? The crime? Stores? Schools? I'm juspretty nice gonna keep my options open at this point but I was curious about this house I saw there looked pretty nice and it had natural gas heat and hot water, 6 car garage...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
I wouldn't move there. It's an old coal town with vacant store fronts and increasing crime. The elementary school doesn't look too hot--I checked ratings. I haven't been to Plymouth in probably six or seven years (no reason to go there) and it didn't look very good then. I can't imagine that it looks better now. I imagine that there are some nice homes on the western side of the borough, Curry Hill, but you're still stuck with the rest of the mess. To drive the point home, I know the people who own Plymouth Poultry, and they don't live there.

In the area, I'd suggest Shavertown, Dallas, eastern side of Kingston, Forty Fort, Swoyersville, Wyoming, etc. before Plymouth.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
with vacant store fronts
I haven't really looked lately but the stores are usually occupied and considering the amount of them that is really saying something. I know at one point a few years back a friend of mine who has partial ownership of Fleet pointed out everyone of them were occupied.

That said Plymouth has a lot of tightly packed small houses, that attracts the landlords and low income crowd. I'd carefully check the neighborhood out, if you see any houses that are in disrepair and not kept up in the same area that is probably not a good sign.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:30 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
They're mostly occupied? I am surprised, happily surprised. I would worry most about the fiscal health of the borough.

There were a lot of mines in the area. What about subsidence?

Old 03-30-2014, 10:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
They're mostly occupied? I am surprised, happily surprised. I would worry most about the fiscal health of the borough.
I really haven't been around Plymouth since 2007 when I spent a lot of time there, at that point in time most of the stores were occupied. I've been through there since but I wasn't specifically looking to see how many were vacant but I didn't notice a lot of vacancies.

Been through Pittston lately? It's looking really nice, that's the kind investment Plymouth needs.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:40 PM

Default $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I haven't really looked lately but the stores are usually occupied and considering the amount of them that is really saying something. I know at one point a few years back a friend of mine who has partial ownership of Fleet pointed out everyone of them were occupied.

That said Plymouth has a lot of tightly packed small houses, that attracts the landlords and low income crowd. I'd carefully check the neighborhood out, if you see any houses that are in disrepair and not kept up in the same area that is probably not a good sign.
I didn't really expect there to be people in Plymouth Pa making big money. I figured it was people barely making it because of the job wages in that area of Pa. A good part of Pa flourished when railroad and coal was needed in America. These industries were once the backbone of the country. Sad to see so many small towns and good people get sucked up into this bad economy. Seems like you can't hang your hat on anything these days. If your in an area thats working and has a good economy if industry isn't trying to look to invest and take chances look what can happen. in 20-30 years whole towns and areas just dying. Generations of workers and good workers left struggling to make ends meet. I always thought it would be great growing up in a small town. I always had this feeling the communities were stronger, people more proud of where they came from then big city folk. Stuff that made a good movie lol. I'm gonna take a trip to Plymouth. I just want to see what its all about. Road trip anyone? I got lunch lol.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:58 PM

54 posts, read 81,604 times
I drive through there now and then. I think there was flooding there in 2011? I think some stores never reopened after that. That's a possible problem, owning a home in a flood area, and the cost of flood insurance. see.. Flood of misery follows insurance premium hikes - News - The Times-Tribune

Old 03-30-2014, 07:28 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
I have close relatives who have lived in Plymouth for the better part of two decades. They are happy there. They have friends who live close by, a church they are involved with and Plymouth is a very walkable town. I wouldn't immediately rule out Plymouth if I were looking to buy a home. You could be very comfortable on your salary in Plymouth. The relatives have children who are in the WVW school system and they are very happy with it. I know theatergypsy's children went to WVW and all of her children earned good educations.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:30 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
I wouldn't move there. It's an old coal town with vacant store fronts and increasing crime. The elementary school doesn't look too hot--I checked ratings. I haven't been to Plymouth in probably six or seven years (no reason to go there) and it didn't look very good then. I can't imagine that it looks better now. I imagine that there are some nice homes on the western side of the borough, Curry Hill, but you're still stuck with the rest of the mess. To drive the point home, I know the people who own Plymouth Poultry, and they don't live there.

In the area, I'd suggest Shavertown, Dallas, eastern side of Kingston, Forty Fort, Swoyersville, Wyoming, etc. before Plymouth.
There are more storefronts occupied in Plymouth than other towns. The elementary school closed 2-3 years ago when the district consolidated and built a new elementary school in Larksville. Perhaps you should take a drive through Plymouth in this decade before you advise someone not to move there.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the info Magritte25 I'd love to just go look at the town. I love old towns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania