U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:34 AM

25,485 posts, read 23,329,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by log living View Post
Chesapeake drilled 3 wells near my property. They also buried a large pipeline. I watched everything go in from start to finish. No problems or complaints at all. I do not get to use any of the gas in my home but I receive checks every month. The jobs and business was sorely needed in the area. A few miles away they just broke ground to build a gas fired power plant. jobs...jobs..jobs.

yes, but what about gas leaching into the water tables, etc
I know for years, there is a problem with human waste leaching into the water tables, b/c there are only drain fields with no sewage treatment plants in the poconos. I lived there for 20 years, and we were surrounded by people moving in from NY and NJ, but at that time, drugs were not bad at all, I'm talking I left 19 years ago. I'm asking b/c don't know much about it, but saw a TV program that was really scary, people had gas coming out of their water spigots....

We almost bought that home up North, it was on the boarder of Pike and Susquahanna....beautiful farm, but as you say, no jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 05:52 AM

45 posts, read 89,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, but what about gas leaching into the water tables, etc
I know for years, there is a problem with human waste leaching into the water tables, b/c there are only drain fields with no sewage treatment plants in the poconos. I lived there for 20 years, and we were surrounded by people moving in from NY and NJ, but at that time, drugs were not bad at all, I'm talking I left 19 years ago. I'm asking b/c don't know much about it, but saw a TV program that was really scary, people had gas coming out of their water spigots....

We almost bought that home up North, it was on the boarder of Pike and Susquahanna....beautiful farm, but as you say, no jobs.
Gas has been leaching into the water table up here for 1000's of years. This has been a problem for some areas when they drill their water wells. It's the geology of the shale area. It's why they are drilling for natural gas. I do not have this problem. I do not know anyone who does. I have read reports that some do. But to say this is a "new issue caused by fracking" is a lie. The gas drilling did not cause it. The gas companies are here because of it.
The television shows and movies trying to scare people about fracking are just BS. The enviro wacko's are useful idiots for foreign energy suppliers.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Gas has been leaching into the water table up here for 1000's of years. This has been a problem for some areas when they drill their water wells. It's the geology of the shale area. It's why they are drilling for natural gas. I do not have this problem. I do not know anyone who does. I have read reports that some do. But to say this is a "new issue caused by fracking" is a lie. The gas drilling did not cause it. The gas companies are here because of it.
The television shows and movies trying to scare people about fracking are just BS. The enviro wacko's are useful idiots for foreign energy suppliers.
ok, understand, however, one thing bothers me, that we all must consider...I'm not an enviro wacko, and understand the great need for jobs here in the U.S. all over...most people do not....most people believe when the news media reports that 10,000 jobs were created this month, now that is bull!

Anyway, I'm all for building pipeline, but as an ex construction worker, I do know a little bit about preventative maintenance...and how utterly necessary it is....that is why, we're experiencing gas explosions like the one in Philly and Texas last year. Our infostructure is very old...there is one bridge going down the TPK, that is so bad, one could stick they're heads right thru the hole in the bridge. Yes, they want to build all this stuff, but it seems no one is concerned about preventative maintenance any longer. That is what scares me, especially regarding gas lines/nuclear plants....and what lies in store for us, down the road....regarding fracking, what they say, which makes sense, and believe me, I'm no expert on the subject, but....they put pipes down in the ground, to capture the natural gas, and please, correct me if I'm wrong, but over the years, as continental shelves move, earthquakes happen, and just the natural movement of the underground shale, which is actually brittle, that is when these fraking pipes move, and the gas starts to escape....slowly, but it will happen, then maybe 20 - 30 years down the road, you have natural gas coming through your water lines, b/c in the Poconos, everyone has wells.

See, people don't know about this stuff....years ago, and I'm going back 40 - 50 years, people were so much more informed....plus I've always had a hunger for knowledge, for information and to absorb as much as practically possible. That is my main reason for being here on these forums....b/c I want to learn...absorb information....

And yes, I'm a woman, but worked construction...I had horses for a good part of my life, so I always did heavy work, and worked the farms, bailed hay, milked cows, you name it, I was a Tom Boy and loved that life, loved building roads...and the excitement of working outside, starting a job, clearing the land, and excavating for the roads right down to the concrete & blacktop paving. I did everything and loved the work. I grew up with boys and worked with men a good part of my life as well...and enjoyed learning the emotional side of men...what made them tick...so? The men on those jobs were gentlemen, and met a lot of good people along with their wives...didn't have any problems and didn't need to act tough, b/c I was doing a man's job...back then I was the first woman in our union...they took care of me, b/c I wouldn't allow them to carry me, in other words, if I was out there doing the same job as them, then I needed to pull my own weight and actually earn my money. So, I do know a bit about natural gas lines, and fracking, but not a whole lot....

I've learned, with everything in life, there is always a trade off...both good and bad and one has to decide and make decissions based on weighing that out....however, what bothers me, is, these companies have waited to start fracking when jobs started becoming scarce and as you know, up there in the Poconos and further north there are no jobs...my concern is, they waiting until people were hungry, yes, it created jobs over the years....25 years ago, jobs in construction started becoming few and far between, if there was work, well, anyway, I think you get the gest of my concern.

Gas Leaking, Radon leaks, all kinds of bad stuff that causes cancers....and disease. It ain't comin from the cigerettes...lol

And I thank you for taking the time....

Old 04-03-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
I'm in Tobyhanna often, all times of day and night all seasons of the year and I will say this, it is TOTALLY SAFE!!! It is one area that has improved ten fold over the past 10 years and continues to get better. Is it perfect??? NO and it will never be perfect. I met awesome people there over the past 4 years, some whom will be life long friends. People have been so nice to my young daughter and have welcomed us with open arms. I have worked in a NJ jail for 23 years and dealt with gangs and every sort of criminal you can imagine and Tobyhanna is safe. I have said it before and I'll say it again. If your scared of beige and brown people because you think they are all criminals and drug dealers then by all means live somewhere else. I am a 47 year old white man and I can fairly say there are some really great people in Tobyhanna of all colors of the rainbow. Drugs??? Well if you want drugs, use drugs, need drugs they are pretty much readily available anywhere on earth. Alaska the last frontier is loaded with drugs. I have a friend who is an ex co who became an Alaska State Trooper and he told me he was shocked on how much drugs were so readily available in places so beautiful you would never imagine. So yeah if you want drugs you can find them in Tobyhanna. Safe to say name a community anywhere in Pa and there probably several people you can buy drugs from. But honestly if its something your not into, interested in or looking for, you won't see it unless you have a trained eye for it. Put things in perspective if you want anything legal or illegal and have the money to buy it and have a smart phone or internet access you will find someone that is willing to get it to you if the $$$ is right. In a cabin on the last frontier, to a building in Harlem NYC to any street in the Poconos your home is what you make of it. Love your spouse, kids and your property. Treat others with respect and dignity and it will probably come back. Night People God Bless...
Hi There, and yes, you are right, however, when I left, drugs was on the up swing....and you have to admit, the Poconos, is a great place for private planes to land...

But, yes, you are correct, and I don't believe when people mention gangs I think of race...what I think of is organized crime, and all the chemicals they were dumping in the lakes up there to make them clear and clean as a whistle so that people could swim in them and enjoy their ponds and lakes, however, if you didn't dump chemicals in the lakes, they were over run with smelling stinky algie...which in turn, you got your clean lakes, but the fish all died....from the chemicals, and all they did was come in with 55 gallon drums, pick up all the fish, and boom....all cleaned up, with not many people knowing....then the gambling came in....which also draws both good and bad people....more drugs, more wealth, more jobs, so people turn their heads....and BOOM, more crime....and not enough police to take care of Monroe County....which is huge...and loaded with beautiful forests, that go on for miles....a person could get lost in....along with privet planes. Growth is good, to some degree, but as in everything else man does, he forgets that all needs to be within reason, and moderation needs to be practiced. Man seems to go from one extreme to another...and whenever money is involved, well, their goes the neighborhood.????? And I'm just guessing.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I've learned, with everything in life, there is always a trade off...both good and bad and one has to decide and make decissions based on weighing that out....however, what bothers me, is, these companies have waited to start fracking when jobs started becoming scarce and as you know, up there in the Poconos and further north there are no jobs...my concern is, they waiting until people were hungry, yes, it created jobs over the years....25 years ago, jobs in construction started becoming few and far between, if there was work, well, anyway, I think you get the gest of my concern.

Gas Leaking, Radon leaks, all kinds of bad stuff that causes cancers....and disease. It ain't comin from the cigerettes...lol

And I thank you for taking the time....
Really.....OK it's a conspiracy. To do what?...create jobs, deliver low cost natural gas to businesses and create more jobs. Everything in life has some risk.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Really.....OK it's a conspiracy. To do what?...create jobs, deliver low cost natural gas to businesses and create more jobs. Everything in life has some risk.
Please don't get upset....I'm just throwing some ideas out there and I'm certainly far from stating your wrong, or that it's a conspiracy, just discussing this issue....that's all...b/c I don't know?

Deliver low costs doesn't usually last, prices only go down where there is competition....and it's in the early stages, but as it grows they will need to raise prices...again, and again, just like any other utility company, b/c they will have to give their CEO a 16 million dollar bonus. So, how to do that, rape the people. Seriously, I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to say your wrong, I'm not...just adding my 2 cents....

Old 04-03-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Please don't get upset....I'm just throwing some ideas out there and I'm certainly far from stating your wrong, or that it's a conspiracy, just discussing this issue....that's all...b/c I don't know?

Deliver low costs doesn't usually last, prices only go down where there is competition....and it's in the early stages, but as it grows they will need to raise prices...again, and again, just like any other utility company, b/c they will have to give their CEO a 16 million dollar bonus. So, how to do that, rape the people. Seriously, I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to say your wrong, I'm not...just adding my 2 cents....
Really?...you keep quoting leftist dogma.....If I understand your position "low cost NG is bad because they will raise cost later to rape the people" really? Atlas Shrugged

Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Really?...you keep quoting leftist dogma.....If I understand your position "low cost NG is bad because they will raise cost later to rape the people" really? Atlas Shrugged
no, see, unfortunately for topic conversation, you refuse to understand, you "think" I'm disagreeing with you, only throwing my doubts out there...and your taking my thoughts, as a personal attack against your beliefs and it's not.

so, unfortunately I suppose this conversation is over....and that makes me sad....that some people right away take offense...and by the way, I'm so far from being left you wouldn't believe, extremely conservative....I'm just trying to look at the much larger picture, unfortunately many young people today do not see any further then today, they are unable to view the long term effects or even considering them, and that is what I'm doing...I'm saying, while you may be right could this or this happen.? Literally asking for your opinion? Unfortunately, most people in today's world is all about instant gratification...and that is what stagnates not only our world, but personal growth, nothing but nothing is written in stone or lasts forever.

I'm not stating I'm write, I don't know, and don't have any idea.....simply put, like I said, everything in life is a trade off, there is always give and take, bad and good in each and every situation....all I'm saying is, for me, while it does create jobs, which is darn good, the jury on the long term effects on this, is not over...so, I'm asking you, what do you think?

Nevermind....sorry I upset you.

Geeze....??? Never said you were wrong.....

Old 04-03-2014, 12:09 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,832,508 times
Suggest reading this book for a balanced perspective on the issue

http://www.amazon.com/End-Country-Di...end+of+country

Old 04-03-2014, 12:45 PM

53 posts, read 54,225 times
Quote:
ok, understand, however, one thing bothers me, that we all must consider...I'm not an enviro wacko, and understand the great need for jobs here in the U.S. all over...most people do not....most people believe when the news media reports that 10,000 jobs were created this month, now that is bull!

Anyway, I'm all for building pipeline, but as an ex construction worker, I do know a little bit about preventative maintenance...and how utterly necessary it is....that is why, we're experiencing gas explosions like the one in Philly and Texas last year. Our infostructure is very old...there is one bridge going down the TPK, that is so bad, one could stick they're heads right thru the hole in the bridge. Yes, they want to build all this stuff, but it seems no one is concerned about preventative maintenance any longer. That is what scares me, especially regarding gas lines/nuclear plants....and what lies in store for us, down the road....regarding fracking, what they say, which makes sense, and believe me, I'm no expert on the subject, but....they put pipes down in the ground, to capture the natural gas, and please, correct me if I'm wrong, but over the years, as continental shelves move, earthquakes happen, and just the natural movement of the underground shale, which is actually brittle, that is when these fraking pipes move, and the gas starts to escape....slowly, but it will happen, then maybe 20 - 30 years down the road, you have natural gas coming through your water lines, b/c in the Poconos, everyone has wells.
I'm no expert but I think the main transmission lines are much better maintained than the miles and miles of delivery lines in cities and towns. The Tennessee Gas pipeline had been in NEPA for decades and hardly anyone knew it was here. But yeah those aging smaller lines are a problem that should be addressed or there will continue to be incidents. Just think about how many miles there must be of them. As far as drilling I think as long as the well bore is constructed right as it passes through the water table leakage into the water table won't be an issue. 20-30 years down the road? Who can say but these wells are supposed to run dry around that time, they should be plugged once that happens. Remember the actual fracing takes place a mile or more beneath the water table, cracking of the shale is no problem, that's what they want to happen, that's what fracturing does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania