U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2014, 07:21 AM
 
25,454 posts, read 23,273,196 times
Reputation: 15310

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
NONE of it is used in Pa. The really annoying thing is how much old tech they're using to get the natural gas. Diesel trucks, spilling diesel fuel, etc etc. Now, the gas companies could really help their image if they converted their equipment to USE the stuff they're pulling out of the ground. But that would just make too much fracking sense.
yes, I know, people do not understand what is REALLY going on....

Like this crazy idea, when they dig up a road, and I don't know how they do it now, but it used to be, b/c blacktop is so toxic, they were not allowed to dump it just anywhere, which makes no sense, but it's true.

Blacktop, while its a road, is still as toxic as it is when it is dug up, the only difference is, once it is dug up, it breaks down faster....however, regardless, it's all leaching into our water tables?
I can imagine, as I used to work construction...many years ago...
and I agree with you...same with garbage...haven't been to the shore for oh, maybe 8 years...but I used to stay at my girlfriends place who was married to an ex commercial fisherman. While sitting on the beach, I'd notice, way out on the horizon, these barges, moving back and forth every single day...so I once asked him, "What are those bardges doing all day". yanno what he replied? Dumping garbage out of NYC????? I said, What? But it's true


whenever money comes into play, there are always conspiracies....b/c the more money the big guys have the more they want. Money, governs humanity today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2014, 07:22 AM
 
53 posts, read 54,072 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

Also, let me tell you, I've dealt with the EPA, years ago. They were dumping chemicals in our lake, to clear the stench of the algie...those chemicals killed all the fish, so many the company came in with 55 gallon drums....to clean up all the fish that were dead and floating, and there were tons of them, huge bass, pickeral, carp, lake trout, sunnies & perch....right after they treated it....the agency was then called EPA, we called them and they didn't do a damn thing about it. They even came out and saw it and that company scooping all the dead fish into 55 gal. drums. So sad, and so true...so, I'm very sceptical.
Must have been copper sulfite, I did that too once in my own pond, put a little too much in and killed all the fish. oops. Now I use that blue dye stuff to control the algae, I've found you have to put it in as soon as the ice melts and add more as needed. Algae is not good to have, it contains BMAA, naturally occurring but scary stuff a neurotoxin see beta-Methylamino-L-alanine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Makes you wonder about cows milk from cows that drink out of ponds with algae in them not to mention eating fish from algae infested waters. Shellfish and shark have been shown to contain large amounts of BMAA. Could be a major cause of ALS, Parkinsons, Alzheimers and more. from Wikipedia...

Quote:

BMAA is considered a possible cause of the amyotrophic
lateral sclerosis

/parkinsonismdementia complex (ALS/PDC) that had an extremely high
rate of incidence among the Chamorro people of Guam.[SIZE=2][16][/SIZE] The
Chamorro call the condition lytico-bodig.[SIZE=2][17][/SIZE] In the
1950s, ALS/PDC prevalence ratios and death rates for Chamorro residents of Guam
and Rota were 50–100 times that of developed countries,
including the United States.[SIZE=2][17][/SIZE] No
demonstrable heritable or viral factors were found for the disease, and a
subsequent decline of ALS/PDC after 1963 on Guam, led to the search for
responsible environmental agents.[SIZE=2][18][/SIZE] The use
of cycad (Cycas micronesica[SIZE=2][19][/SIZE]) seeds in
food decreased as the Chamorro population became more Americanized following
World War II.[SIZE=2][20][/SIZE]


In addition to eating the seeds directly, BMAA may be ingested by humans
through biomagnification. Flying foxes, a Chamorro delicacy, may feed on cycad seeds and concentrate the
toxin in their flesh. Twenty-four specimens of flying foxes from museum
collections were tested for BMAA and BMAA was found in large concentrations in
the flying foxes from Guam.[SIZE=2][21][/SIZE]


Studies on human brain tissue of ALS/PDC, ALS, Alzheimer’s Disease,
Parkinson’s Disease, Huntington’s Disease and neurological controls
indicated that BMAA is present in non-genetic progressive neurodegenerative
disease but not in controls or genetic-based Huntington’s Disease.[SIZE=2][22][/SIZE][SIZE=2][23][/SIZE][SIZE=2][24][/SIZE][SIZE=2][25][/SIZE]


There is currently ongoing research into the role of BMAA as an environmental
factor in neurodegenerative disease.[SIZE=2][26][/SIZE][SIZE=2][27][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 07:30 AM
 
25,454 posts, read 23,273,196 times
Reputation: 15310
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Jenco View Post
Must have been copper sulfite, I did that too once in my own pond, put a little too much in and killed all the fish. oops. Now I use that blue dye stuff to control the algae, I've found you have to put it in as soon as the ice melts and add more as needed. Algae is not good to have, it contains BMAA, naturally occurring but scary stuff a neurotoxin see beta-Methylamino-L-alanine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Makes you wonder about cows milk from cows that drink out of ponds with algae in them not to mention eating fish from algae infested waters. Shellfish and shark have been shown to contain large amounts of BMAA. Could be a major cause of ALS, Parkinsons, Alzheimers and more. from Wikipedia...
yes, and so so so many people "think" all these cancers are caused by smoking, little do they know, and even worse, the doctors have jumped onboard....as I said before, most people are so totally unaware of what is REALLY going on out there.

Years ago, when I lived in the Poconos, and we were treating that lake, let me tell you, I guess you know who controlled those chemical companies.

Makes me really wonder and know the answer to my own scary question....so many companies are farming out all our work to contractors to save money, and we all know the story behind Haliburtin (spelling) and the oil spill down in the Gulf a few years ago...well, what about our nuke plants? Right?

Thank you for the info....another thing, many years ago, in the late 30's early 40's....they used to perform tests in the desserts in the U.S. with bombs, and all that nuclear fall out still remains in the ground....on the grass....which our dogs, cats, cows and horses eat. Now small amounts of that is fine...but you take all these chemicals, and add them up, and guess what, you now have huge cancer and disease causing agents....I remember years ago watching a show about this, and they said, there is NO SAFE amount of nuclear fall out...and there isn't....but hey, for years, they've been blaming all of this on cigerettes...so untrue...and fracking in my belief will just add another to the list....eventually.

Everything in moderation, to much, and BOOM! in another 50 - 100 years, what else? Human mutatations....man is going to be his own demise, and the general public is so misinformed.

We had a friend who was a chemist, and they still have no idea how long these chemicals stay active in the ground...none...for years, upon years....so, I don't know what that blue stuff is, but....be careful...and also, think about this...all those people moving to the poconos for the past, what, 40 years....and all that septic leaching into the ground....ewwwwww. Like I said, it's not just one problem, but the combination of many and walla, you've got perfect conditions for all these cancers and disease...little tiny amounts over time can reak havoc.

I have MS, the recurring time, so I've also not only had experience with all this stuff and more, but have a reason for reasearch...on my own, which is something that very few people do any more, and with all that information out there? But human beings have become serious, live in the moment type people, we've grown lazy, our minds are lazy, we are not producting the wisdom and scholors as were produced years ago in anything, music, art, research...we used to lead the world in all those things...people are regressing in intellect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 07:35 AM
 
53 posts, read 54,072 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, and so so so many people "think" all these cancers are caused by smoking, little do they know, and even worse, the doctors have jumped onboard....as I said before, most people are so totally unaware of what is REALLY going on out there.

Years ago, when I lived in the Poconos, and we were treating that lake, let me tell you, I guess you know who controlled those chemical companies.

Makes me really wonder and know the answer to my own scary question....so many companies are farming out all our work to contractors to save money, and we all know the story behind Haliburtin (spelling) and the oil spill down in the Gulf a few years ago...well, what about our nuke plants? Right?

Thank you for the info....another thing, many years ago, in the late 30's early 40's....they used to perform tests in the desserts in the U.S. with bombs, and all that nuclear fall out still remains in the ground....on the grass....which our dogs, cats, cows and horses eat. Now small amounts of that is fine...but you take all these chemicals, and add them up, and guess what, you now have huge cancer and disease causing agents....I remember years ago watching a show about this, and they said, there is NO SAFE amount of nuclear fall out...and there isn't....but hey, for years, they've been blaming all of this on cigerettes...so untrue...and fracking in my belief will just add another to the list....eventually.

Everything in moderation, to much, and BOOM! in another 50 - 100 years, what else? Human mutatations....man is going to be his own demise, and the general public is so misinformed.

We had a friend who was a chemist, and they still have no idea how long these chemicals stay active in the ground...none...for years, upon years....so, I don't know what that blue stuff is, but....be careful...and also, think about this...all those people moving to the poconos for the past, what, 40 years....and all that septic leaching into the ground....ewwwwww. Like I said, it's not just one problem, but the combination of many and walla, you've got perfect conditions for all these cancers and disease...little tiny amounts over time can reak havoc.
BMAA is not a chemical it's naturally occurring, has been around forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 07:38 AM
 
25,454 posts, read 23,273,196 times
Reputation: 15310
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Jenco View Post
BMAA is not a chemical it's naturally occurring, has been around forever.
I know, and thank you, but I was referring to all the other stuff, but yes, thank you kindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
3,673 posts, read 3,253,057 times
Reputation: 6508
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

as I said in another post....I saw a show on TV, where the people literally got sick, their livestock got sick, and then they turned on their water and lit a match and the fire came out of the spigot...
We've all seen the clip from the propaganda film Gasland of the flaming spigot in Colorado. (I know, I know, you can probably summon up dozens of other clips from around the country).

Crème, my friend, you are obviously very, very passionate about this subject and I appreciate your sincere concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
3,673 posts, read 3,253,057 times
Reputation: 6508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
NONE of it is used in Pa. The really annoying thing is how much old tech they're using to get the natural gas. Diesel trucks, spilling diesel fuel, etc etc. Now, the gas companies could really help their image if they converted their equipment to USE the stuff they're pulling out of the ground. But that would just make too much fracking sense.
Actually there is at least one CNG (compressed natural gas) station up in Towanda (Bradford County in the heart of fracking country). There may be others. The point is, that's an instance of natural gas being used locally.

I brought up the subject with Mario Scavello when he was on Gary in the Morning a few months ago, and he said he's working to get CNG in Monroe County for use as a motor fuel. We'll see how that goes, and I would like to see the gas companies get behind CNG as a motor fuel for more than just city buses and phone company fleets the way GE is behind charging stations for electric cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
3,673 posts, read 3,253,057 times
Reputation: 6508
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

I just wish that all of that energy went to our needs and to fuel new industry in PA. My feeling is that most of it is not used in our State or maybe even in our Nation.
Most of the natural gas produced in the U.S. stays here. Below is a handy link to a report from 2013 on energy.gov that shows all the imports and exports of CNG and LNG (liquefied natural gas). Apparently we import and export CNG and LNG to both Canada and Mexico by truck and pipeline, and we import LNG by ship from Trinidad, Yemen, Nigeria, and Norway. I have to wonder how expensive it is to ship the stuff across the Atlantic but it may have more to do with the distribution network than with price.

http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2...f7/3rd13ng.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 11:15 AM
 
1,168 posts, read 1,828,027 times
Reputation: 1074
There's a bottleneck to the distribution overseas, but the gas cos. are working hard to ease it. I think it's a matter of facilities at the ports and regulations. They want like crazy to get it out of here because they can make more, even with transpo costs.

jtab, but thanks for the correction on the CNG facility. I had forgotten about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,136 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Reputation: 9289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Most of the natural gas produced in the U.S. stays here. Below is a handy link to a report from 2013 on energy.gov that shows all the imports and exports of CNG and LNG (liquefied natural gas). Apparently we import and export CNG and LNG to both Canada and Mexico by truck and pipeline, and we import LNG by ship from Trinidad, Yemen, Nigeria, and Norway. I have to wonder how expensive it is to ship the stuff across the Atlantic but it may have more to do with the distribution network than with price.

http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2...f7/3rd13ng.pdf
Thanks! But are we building new plants close to the fuel source? It has to be cheaper the closer you get to wells or distribution. I am just hoping that we create more jobs than just the ones involved in fracking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top