Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:55 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Jenco View Post
I'm no expert but I think the main transmission lines are much better maintained than the miles and miles of delivery lines in cities and towns. The Tennessee Gas pipeline had been in NEPA for decades and hardly anyone knew it was here. But yeah those aging smaller lines are a problem that should be addressed or there will continue to be incidents. Just think about how many miles there must be of them. As far as drilling I think as long as the well bore is constructed right as it passes through the water table leakage into the water table won't be an issue. 20-30 years down the road? Who can say but these wells are supposed to run dry around that time, they should be plugged once that happens. Remember the actual fracing takes place a mile or more beneath the water table, cracking of the shale is no problem, that's what they want to happen, that's what fracturing does.

thanks so much for your post...

then how come some people have gas in their water though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 PM

8,075 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

Who has gas in their water, and where?

The 5 families in Dimmock who were getting water trucked in by Cabot(?) a few years ago were told by the federal EPA that their water was fine. The families disagreed but Cabot eventually withdrew the water tanker and as far as I know that's that.

I live in Monroe County, far from any fracking activity but I watch the local Scranton news almost every night. Whenever anything happens with fracking activity, they report it. And I haven't seen anything about "gas in the water".

Old 04-03-2014, 05:07 PM

54 posts, read 81,648 times
Quote:
thanks so much for your post...

As far as I know in Dimock the DEP said it was due to faulty well casing through the water table, allowing the gas to enter the water table. The gas company says it was naturally occurring shallow methane. It is true that gas in water wells has been a common problem in some areas long before any drilling. But DEP said it was able to trace the gas to the gas well using chemical fingerprinting and they upgraded the regulations for well casings after that. see... http://www.marcellus.psu.edu/news/PD...mmaryfinal.pdf

There are systems that can remove the methane from the water.....
Methane Gas and Its Removal from Wells in Pennsylvania — Water Quality — Penn State Extension

Old 04-04-2014, 05:44 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
Yes, it's methane quite close to the surface that's contaminating the wells in question, and it's specifically because of improper well casing. In layman's terms, it's shoddy construction of the "building" that's needed to get to the gas. It's not the Marcellus that's erupting or anything.

Theoretically, the well casings being put in now are stronger and not likely to cause the leaks. Theoretically. Because you're still relying on the company to do stuff right.

My mother in law hasn't had any issues like this.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Who has gas in their water, and where?

The 5 families in Dimmock who were getting water trucked in by Cabot(?) a few years ago were told by the federal EPA that their water was fine. The families disagreed but Cabot eventually withdrew the water tanker and as far as I know that's that.

I live in Monroe County, far from any fracking activity but I watch the local Scranton news almost every night. Whenever anything happens with fracking activity, they report it. And I haven't seen anything about "gas in the water".
well, if there is gas in the water, the local news media is not going to report it...they only tell you what they want you to hear. Even the police in Monroe County told me, 1/2 the stuff that happens doesn't make the papers on the news....

Why you say? Because the compaines that are fracking are putting up way to much money to do this, to back out now.

as I said in another post....I saw a show on TV, where the people literally got sick, their livestock got sick, and then they turned on their water and lit a match and the fire came out of the spigot...

so, I did so a little research on it and found out, this.

As we all know, shale moves, with the forces of the earth, center earth, earthquakes, etc. Shale breaks very easily, and this fracking requires pipes being drilled down into the earth, which when the earth moves, cracks, and now you have gas traveling through those cracks and through out all the cracks in the shale....

so, there are 2 sides to every story, as in life, there is always a trade off, some good some bad, therefore, time will tell? I am not saying it's good or bad, I do not know....just asking for people's opinion, and everyone has a different opinion?

Also, let me tell you, I've dealt with the EPA, years ago. They were dumping chemicals in our lake, to clear the stench of the algie...those chemicals killed all the fish, so many the company came in with 55 gallon drums....to clean up all the fish that were dead and floating, and there were tons of them, huge bass, pickeral, carp, lake trout, sunnies & perch....right after they treated it....the agency was then called EPA, we called them and they didn't do a damn thing about it. They even came out and saw it and that company scooping all the dead fish into 55 gal. drums. So sad, and so true...so, I'm very sceptical.

Yanno, years ago, before you sold a home, it had to pass a radon test....however, they found out, that radon was every where seeping from the ground, into our homes, an invisable gas, that is actually natural radiation...so they don't take radon tests any longer, but yet, they claim smoking is causing all the cancers....HAH....but that is another subject....anyway, just saying, there are so many natural things that man cannot control which comes from the earth, and to me, as I said, I'm skepticle, there is always good and bad in everything, even when you make a move, in jobs, in living, everything, but in this day and age, people live in the moment, and do not think about what about tomorrow any longer....it's called instant gratification....which sometimes causes man to make some very huges mistakes.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 04-04-2014 at 06:09 AM..

Old 04-04-2014, 07:06 AM

You could do the match trick years before fracking was even invented. That whole "Gasland" thing was environmental wacko propaganda (and I'm a liberal, so that really doesn't help folks pigeonhole me now, does it?)

Old 04-04-2014, 07:06 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Here is a link to the EPA Marcellus shale maps: PermitDrilledmaps.

If you click on some of them you will see that Monroe County has no active wells. I did see that there have been two permits issued. But those permits do not mean that they will ever drill a well - it has to be profitable. All of the companies are looking for the most productive shale. I was told that Monroe County's shale is not that productive. Possibly things could change in the future if gas prices rise? For the time being; I think we are 'safe' - if that is what you are looking for.

I just wish that all of that energy went to our needs and to fuel new industry in PA. My feeling is that most of it is not used in our State or maybe even in our Nation.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:08 AM

NONE of it is used in Pa. The really annoying thing is how much old tech they're using to get the natural gas. Diesel trucks, spilling diesel fuel, etc etc. Now, the gas companies could really help their image if they converted their equipment to USE the stuff they're pulling out of the ground. But that would just make too much fracking sense.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:12 AM

8,075 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
well, if there is gas in the water, the local news media is not going to report it...they only tell you what they want you to hear.
How convenient. It's all a grand conspiracy.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
How convenient. It's all a grand conspiracy.
hon, you have a lot to learn....

seriously....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania