Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 6,499 times

Advertisements

I have family that recently moved to Tobyhanna in the Poconos, PA. We have been considering moving to the area (within 30 minutes of Tobyhanna). Our big concern with moving to the area is fracking. We have looked into it and see that there is not much going on in the county. Our concerns are more for the future. Is this area in a serious threat of fracking going on in the area?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 12:13 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Nope. The fracking in PA is concentrated in Susquehanna county, father north and west on Monroe County and the Poconos.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:17 PM

342 posts, read 798,477 times
I would be more concerned about living in Tobyhanna

Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,499 times
But it is possible for fracking to go on in the Tobyhanna, correct?

padad1 - What is wrong with Tobyhanna?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:47 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBX View Post
But it is possible for fracking to go on in the Tobyhanna, correct?
Most online maps of the Marcellus Shale indicate the outer boundary of the shale deposits do reach northern Monroe County. I'm not a geologist and I'm not in the gas business but to me it seems like it's not economically feasible for a company to do fracking where there would be heavy local opposition and little potential reward.

If you are very, very frightened of fracking then I suggest you look at some Marcellus Shale maps yourself and decide how close your potential house might be.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:23 AM

342 posts, read 798,477 times
Tobyhanna is a hotbed for gang activity as well as the new influx of heroin that is starting to enter the poconos from NJ and Lehigh valley. You will find a lot of the gated communities in the Tobyhanna area which are not patrolled by state police so it allows the low lifes to enter and exit as they please. The overdevelopment may or may not be your thing. The best example to look at is Pocono Farms community. Do your research on how it started and what it has turned into. It is very indicative of the entire NW area of the poconos. Now of course like any place they're some very nice areas but they are very hit and miss. Just know the surrounding locations you are looking at and what is within a 3-4 mile radius of you.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:54 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,439 times
I'm just starting to do research in the area, but you look at Pocono Farms (and the area surrounding Tobyhanna in general) on the map, and it looks like what should be a nice community on a lake with nice pool, tennis courts, golf course, beach, surrounded by mountains and forests. . . and you're saying that it's overrun with drugs and gangs? Just seems hard to believe.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:34 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,507 times
There is no fracking that will happen in Tobyhanna. The deposits are not worth it here. Plus, there's 100 years of unexploded munitions scattered around the Army Depot -- nobody wants to be disturbing that stuff.

Something that is far more likely is a pipeline expansion. See here.
However, I live in a different area of Monroe where a similar pipeline was laid several years ago; it was a complete non-event and there has been no untoward event during or since. (Granted, my property wasn't directly affected -- homeowners who were affected may feel differently)

Old 04-01-2014, 08:03 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
I'm just starting to do research in the area, but you look at Pocono Farms (and the area surrounding Tobyhanna in general) on the map, and it looks like what should be a nice community on a lake with nice pool, tennis courts, golf course, beach, surrounded by mountains and forests. . . and you're saying that it's overrun with drugs and gangs? Just seems hard to believe.
Believe it. You can't see that stuff looking at a map.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Believe it. You can't see that stuff looking at a map.
So are the "good communities" and "bad communties" mixed within the same general area? Some just happened to go downhill while others did not? Or are there large areas that have these problems in general (ie. anything close to I-80)?

You look at the area within 10 miles of Tobyhanna, and you have places like Lake Naomi, Timber Trails, and Pinecrest that i think are supposed to be nice. Then within a few miles you have Pocono Farms which is supposedly depressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania